Reading the Chunksters discussion

General Archive > The Chunkster from my TBR list

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zulfiya (new)

Zulfiya (ztrotter) Please post any books that you want to nominate for this upcoming discussion. Please remember that a book should be at least 500 pages long, and in this themed read, it is also a work of fiction.

Post any chunskter that you plan to read in the nearest future from your TBR list and feel free to campaign!

Let the fun begin!

message 2: by Zulfiya (new)

Zulfiya (ztrotter) My nomination is A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara

message 3: by John (last edited Aug 21, 2015 10:12PM) (new)

John (johnred) | 364 comments Hi Zulfiya! Welcome back and I hope you had safe and happy travels!

I am currently undecided on whether I want to nominate John Fowles' The Magus or Jonathan Franzen's soon-to-be-released Purity (available Sept. 1). I'm kind of leaning toward the Magus at the moment, but would welcome any input anyone may have!

message 4: by Zulfiya (new)

Zulfiya (ztrotter) I personally think Fowles was the most talented writer of the twentieth century. His writing is superb on many levels: ideas, language, plot execution, characters, etc, and what is more, I think he knew that he was the most talented of the bunch. He was always writing knowing his supremacy; he was never snobbish, but he knew very well that he was superb. :-)

message 5: by Shilpa (new)

Xan Shadowflutter (shadowflutter) | 211 comments Welcome back Z.

Well, if John nominates The Magus, I'll second it.

I'll nominate The Magic Mountain.

message 7: by Teanka (new)

Teanka I want to nominate The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton.

message 8: by John (last edited Aug 22, 2015 07:37AM) (new)

John (johnred) | 364 comments I can't ignore that endorsement - I will nominate The Magus. I think you have taken care of the "campaigning" part for me, thanks :)

The Luminaries has also been on my list for quite a while!

message 9: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Flynn | 73 comments I will second the nomination of A Little Life

message 10: by Ami (new)

Ami Teanka wrote: "I want to nominate The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton."

I'll second "The Luminaries."

Xan Shadowflutter (shadowflutter) | 211 comments I'll second the Magus.

message 12: by Linda (new)

Linda | 1312 comments No nominations from me this round, three of these books are already on my TBR list. :)

message 13: by Mary Anne (new)

Mary Anne (dorhastings) I'll third The Luminaries!

message 14: by Dustin (new)

Dustin The Luminaries is on my shelf, but I'd like to nominate Wolf Hall.

message 15: by Ami (new)

Ami Dustin wrote: "The Luminaries is on my shelf, but I'd like to nominate Wolf Hall."

Check out the Archives, Dustin..."WH" was read in 2013, I think?

message 16: by Zulfiya (new)

Zulfiya (ztrotter) Yes, we did. Dustin, do you have any other books you want to read?

message 17: by Zulfiya (new)

Zulfiya (ztrotter) Xan Shadowflutter wrote: "Welcome back Z.

I'll nominate The Magic Mountain."

Xan, I am going to add the link to your nomination.

The Magic Mountain by Thomas Mann

message 18: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 885 comments I can't lead another discussion so soon, since I have to get back to other books to lead discussions of, but if I'm not required to lead the discussion, I'll nominate Trollope's Orley Farm.

Orley Farm
Anthony Trollope

message 19: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 885 comments Xan Shadowflutter wrote: "Welcome back Z.

If I'm allowed to second as well as nominate (I just nominated a book) I'll second The Magic Mountain. It's time I reread it.

message 20: by Zulfiya (new)

Zulfiya (ztrotter) You can do both :-)

message 21: by Zulfiya (new)

Zulfiya (ztrotter) I will have this thread open for a couple of days when you can still nominate a book, and later I will let you know when the poll is up!

message 22: by Ben (new)

Ben Everyman wrote: "Xan Shadowflutter wrote: "Welcome back Z.

If I'm allowed to second as well as nominate (I just nominated a b..."

I have recently started reading The Magic Mountain and am happy to second it too.

message 23: by Zulfiya (new)

Zulfiya (ztrotter) No more nominations are accepted at that point. feel free to post anything else here except nominations. I am currently working on the poll for the upcoming read.

message 24: by Jen (new)

Jen (jeninseattle) | 140 comments Hi All - Looks like The Luminaries is our next Contemporary Chunkster. I haven't seen anywhere yet where we've set a schedule and such. I'm wlling to put one together and take a stab at leading discussion unless someone else much more skilled than I am would like to take a whack at it. What does everyone think?

message 25: by Zulfiya (new)

Zulfiya (ztrotter) I am working at the schedule right now ... I will post it later today. :-)