Support for Indie Authors discussion

Archived Author Help > Listopia on Goodreads... so much fun! Do you follow these?

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by April (new)

April Wilson (aprilwilson) I spend a lot of time looking at the book lists on Goodreads - Listopia. That is so fun. My book is listed on about 20 lists or so. If you haven't done it yet, you should check out Listopia and add your own books - or your favorites - to the lists. There are thousands of lists to choose from, and some are hysterically narrowly focused, such as "Books with butterflies on the cover." LOL. Check it out. I think Listopia is also a good way to find new authors/books you would like, because they're often grouped by theme.

April

message 2: by Riley, Viking Extraordinaire (new)

Riley Amos Westbrook (sonshinegreene) | 1510 comments Mod
April wrote: "I spend a lot of time looking at the book lists on Goodreads - Listopia. That is so fun. My book is listed on about 20 lists or so. If you haven't done it yet, you should check out Listopia and add..."

I've tried messing around with it, but to be honest, I could probably do more with it.

message 3: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) I thought adding your own book to lists was frowned upon?

message 4: by Ken (new)

Ken Doggett (kendoggett) I added one of my books to a list to see what would happen. Looks as though other authors do it, too. What happened?--nothing.

message 5: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 2491 comments I understand the narrow ones. A certain group discussion I know has a game with covers where people have to find a cover with and the one who finds it posts it and then post their own request. If your cover has something special others don't it's one way to have it posted. :p

Other groups have challenges with certain requirements. For example, you may have to read a book with a pumpkin, a red leaf, or a ghost on the cover for an October challenge. If someone has problems finding a book with one of these, they might check there. :P

message 6: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 2491 comments Christina wrote: "I thought adding your own book to lists was frowned upon?"

To be honest, it never crossed my mind to add my own books. I did check a few lists but they were all filled with books from trad pub authors.

message 7: by Doris (new)

Doris Caruso | 4 comments G.G. wrote: "Christina wrote: "I thought adding your own book to lists was frowned upon?"

To be honest, it never crossed my mind to add my own books. I did check a few lists but they were all filled with books..."

message 8: by Doris (new)

Doris Caruso | 4 comments Sorry, I did not know that I was not to place my book on this site..Forgive...Doris

message 9: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) Honestly, I never know what is "allowed" on Goodreads because half the time I see an author post anywhere that readers hang out, they get jumped on merely for existing.

message 10: by April (new)

April Wilson (aprilwilson) Christina wrote: "I thought adding your own book to lists was frowned upon?"

I've never heard that. I added my books to some lists, and others have added my book to other lists as well (which was a really nice surprise).

I think they're a lot of fun and maybe a little underutilized. I encourage everyone to check them out. Add your favorite books to lists. They're a great way to learn about new books that are in the genres and themes you like.

April

message 11: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 2491 comments Doris wrote: "Sorry, I did not know that I was not to place my book on this site..Forgive...Doris"

Doris, there's nothing saying you can't. I've heard other authors saying they did. Maybe I might have done it myself if I would have found the right list. Who knows. No one blames you for doing so.

message 12: by Owen (new)

Owen O'Neill (owen_r_oneill) | 1509 comments Christina wrote: "Honestly, I never know what is "allowed" on Goodreads because half the time I see an author post anywhere that readers hang out, they get jumped on merely for existing."

I added ours. I've seen (and heard) the same thing you have, but merely placing one's book on a list hardly seems untoward. By that logic, we shouldn't be adding our books to GR, or setting up a website for our books either.

message 13: by Doris (new)

Doris Caruso | 4 comments Thanks to all for your comments...I feel better about my listing my books now..This is an interesting site to receive current information on others efforts to have their books read, certainly.

message 14: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 779 comments I like Listopias, they are one of those under appreciated things here on Goodreads. They are a good way to find books within a genre and a good way to add one's book to get it some small recognition.

I created a Best Books To Read For Halloween during my first year on Goodreads like 4 years ago, I must get a like a week for the list lol. IN all honesty I just made the list because I wanted to try it out and I felt it would be fun to list books I felt were must read for Halloween and the list has taken off.

message 15: by J.J. (new)

J.J. Mainor If you feel guilty about adding your own books, then add other books alongside them so you don't look so one sided...