Harry Potter Read Along discussion

Goblet of Fire Discussion

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elle (new)

Elle | 20 comments I'm not a fan of Hagrid, but was also sympathetic when he was 'outed', for lack of a better word.

Is it just me, or does this "magical binding contract" seem a bit hokey? What if a student is suddenly unable to participate? Does he/she still have to take part, even if they're unable (I'm imagining they are severely injured or something)?

More discussion points (SPOILERS):

What is your opinion on Barty Crouch Jnr?

Is it plausible that a wizard as astute as Dumbledore didn't realise Moody was an imposter?

Was the book too long, or just right?

message 2: by Elle (last edited Aug 31, 2015 04:37PM) (new)

Elle | 20 comments I am actually a big fan on Barty Jnr, and as Tris so eloquently noted, is very similar to Moody in his beliefs, making it easy to pose as the Auror. It's for these reasons that I believe that Dumbledore was genuinely clueless to the imposter.

The book was at least 100 pages too long, for me. A lot for me was indeed a lot of teenage angst, which has its place, but not to that extent. That said, of course, it is still a fantastic book; just needed a little more pruning.

Once again, I agree with Tris: more emphasis should have been put on the nature of the "binding" contract. I think the age limit was there purely to emphasise how young Harry was in comparison, and I must say, the effect is appropriately troubling.

Thanks for the feedback, ladies- it's been so nice chatting to others about these brilliant books! :)

Another point: What is your general opinion of the resurrection of Lord Voldemort?