The Hobbit The Hobbit question

Reading challenge- please let us include re-reads!
Shellie Taylor Shellie Aug 20, 2015 04:58PM
I read The Hobbit every year. It's a tradition. And every once in a while I like to revisit some old favorites. Reading these titles takes time and I think they should count toward our annual reading challenge without taking the credit away from another year! Who else wants Goodreads to start acknowledging re-reads as true reads to count toward our annual reading challenge goals????

I completely agree with you: if there is a read count, why not acknowledge reading the book? You still read it! You still took the time and listened to/read every single word of the book. The challenge is then really talking about how many new books you read. Goodreads should let us count rereads (perhaps stopping us from rereading seven times in one year or something). I reread really often- I've read HP three or four times and LotR twice and love both, so it would be great to be able to count rereads.

Mitali (last edited Aug 24, 2015 02:50AM ) Aug 24, 2015 02:49AM   0 votes
There is a roundabout way of counting a reread book in more than one year's Reading Challenge:
Go to the book's page, click on 'all editions', and mark any edition (different from the one you have already marked 'read') as 'currently reading'. The edition you have already marked 'read' will count towards the previous Reading Challenge goal, while you one you marked as 'currently reading' just now will count towards the current year's goal - that is, once you finish rereading it and mark it as 'read'.

It's annoyingly long-winded, I know, but it works. Of course, it would be best if Goodreads could simply tweak its algorithms to take into account the fact that people reread beloved books.

Shellie Taylor oooooh sneaky! That's smart. But yes Goodreads should make a change on their end but thanks for the info! ...more
Aug 24, 2015 10:40AM · flag

It can be done. Go to your Read list, find the book that you've just re-read, and hover over it. You'll see a little button labeled "Edit" in the top corner of the cover. Click on Edit.

Down at the bottom of the dialog it says "Date I finished this book". This date controls which Reading Challenge you get credit for (if it's blank you don't get credit at all). If you change that date to when you finished your latest re-read, you will get credit for it on your latest challenge.

I tested it to see if it would make last year's challenge go down by one, and it didn't. But it did remove the book from the list of books I read in 2014.

yay! I'm not alone!