♥ Nothing Better Than Reading!! ♥ discussion

General Archives > The Basics

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by A, Crazy. (last edited Aug 19, 2015 09:59AM) (new)

A H | 7672 comments Mod
What exactly is a 'Read-a-thon'? A Read-a-thon is basically an encouragement, a pushing force which makes you read more during a particular period than you would have. It's an activity where you set a goal for yourself, and try to complete that goal as quickly as possible.

So, in a read-a-thon, a time limit and a page limit is set. Within that time limit, we try to complete the page/book limit as quickly as possible. The entire point of a read-a-thon is to set high goals for yourself and push yourself to read as much as possible.

For eg, suppose a goal is : 1000 pages, 1 week. Thus, one has to try completing 1000 pages within one week.

---------------------------------------------

WHAT I HAVE IN MIND FOR THE GROUP

Time limit, I set. Page limit, you decide. Every once in a while, I will set up a time limit and post the dates for a particular read-a-thon in this thread itself. All you have to do is decide on a book limit/page limit for yourself and try your best to complete your goals!

Post all queries and suggestions below.

Happy Reading!

message 2: by Ankit (new)

Ankit Saxena | 29 comments That's too looks nice idea.

message 3: by Brianna (new)

Brianna Andreda | 18 comments I love read-a-thons

message 4: by Chelle (new)

Chelle  | 136 comments Never done a read-a-thon but heard of them. I'm interested.

message 5: by Maya ❤ (new)

Maya ❤ (lilaclaroux) I've never done one but I'm interested :)

message 6: by Dominique (new)

Dominique I`ve done some that were for only weekend read-a-thon. Weekly would be great.

message 7: by A, Crazy. (new)

A H | 7672 comments Mod
I'll be posting the date for the first readathon soon.

message 8: by Aayushi (new)

Aayushi | 83 comments yep liked the concept
waiting for the date!!!!

message 9: by Storm (new)

Storm | 163 comments 'Read-a-thon' is sounding like it can be a good excuse for buying good books. I'm in :)

message 10: by Maya ❤ (new)

Maya ❤ (lilaclaroux) I'll be getting an ebook so the page #s may be off

message 11: by Dominique (new)

Dominique Maya wrote: "I'll be getting an ebook so the page #s may be off"

It`s easier if you follow the pages from a hardcover when you read a ebbok

message 12: by Vertika (new)

Vertika | 3 comments Great idea

message 13: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 30, 2015 04:32AM) (new)

I have a book that I have started reading already, it is not very interesting yet, but it is a part of a buddy read so I intend to finish, but need the pressure of a deadline, if you will. So can I use that book for the September 5th-11th read-a-thon? Or does it need to be a book that we start on the 5th?

message 14: by A, Crazy. (new)

A H | 7672 comments Mod
Kelly wrote: "I have a book that I have started reading already, it is not very interesting yet, but it is a part of a buddy read so I intend to finish, but need the pressure of a deadline, if you will. So can ..."

I'm sorry, but it has to be read in that duration :)

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Ruchi wrote: "Kelly wrote: "I have a book that I have started reading already, it is not very interesting yet, but it is a part of a buddy read so I intend to finish, but need the pressure of a deadline, if you..."

That's fine, thanks

message 16: by Alison (new)

Alison (a1ison74) | 418 comments Hi Ruchi. Do you have any particular format in mind for posts in the readathon thread?

message 17: by A, Crazy. (new)

A H | 7672 comments Mod
Alison wrote: "Hi Ruchi. Do you have any particular format in mind for posts in the readathon thread?"

No. Since it's your own page/book limit, I'm thinking of giving the readers their own space to post their books. However, make sure you're updating the books in one single thread.

message 18: by Janessa (new)

Janessa | 492 comments Since the Read-A-Thons are now up is it okay to create our selves a thread, or should we wait until we official start?

message 19: by A, Crazy. (new)

A H | 7672 comments Mod
Janessa wrote: "Since the Read-A-Thons are now up is it okay to create our selves a thread, or should we wait until we official start?"

Yes, you could post your books, but start reading only on the official start date :)

message 20: by Chelle (new)

Chelle  | 136 comments I'm currently reading a book. So does this mean I have to start a new book?

message 21: by Chelle (new)

Chelle  | 136 comments Another question: How are our updates supposed to be in one post if there is more than one topic? I'm new to this way and a little confused. Do I make my posts all in topic #1 or in each individual one as the time goes on?

message 22: by A, Crazy. (new)

A H | 7672 comments Mod
MichaXO wrote: "I'm currently reading a book. So does this mean I have to start a new book?"

Only those books will be counted which you'll read withing the duration of the Readathon. So, for the first readathon, only those books read between 5th to 11th september will be counted and for the second one, books read between 14th to 20th september. So, the book you're currently reading will not be counted.

message 23: by A, Crazy. (new)

A H | 7672 comments Mod
MichaXO wrote: "Another question: How are our updates supposed to be in one post if there is more than one topic? I'm new to this way and a little confused. Do I make my posts all in topic #1 or in each individual..."

You are going to update all the books you read for the first readathon in https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/... and for the second readathon in https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 24: by Gabrielle (new)

Gabrielle (gabbilupe2012) | 144 comments such a challenge!

message 25: by Thomas (last edited Nov 03, 2015 04:21AM) (new)

Thomas | 63 comments whoops!Guess I've miss this event, does it still continues?

message 26: by A, Crazy. (new)

A H | 7672 comments Mod
Thomas wrote: "whoops!Guess I've miss this event, does it still continues?"

Yes, it does.

message 27: by Brittney (new)

Brittney Are we going to do a new one?

message 28: by A, Crazy. (new)

A H | 7672 comments Mod
Brittney wrote: "Are we going to do a new one?"

Yes yes, sorry I haven;t been online lately :(