2015 Reading Challenge [Closed] discussion

Assassin's Apprentice (Farseer Trilogy, #1)
This topic is about Assassin's Apprentice
. Week 43: New Author > Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Silvia Turcios | 304 comments I read this for the category "a new Author". I had seen many times Robin Hobb's name in the library and bookstores, and although I was curious, never took the initiative to read one, but then a buddy read suggest this book, we read it and LOVED IT!

It was awesome and one of the best book I have read so far in this challenge. It's a whole series and as soon as I finish with my pending books in the challenge I would love to return to this wonderful series :)

Sophie (sawphie) I'm so glad you loved the book, I also love this series! When I clicked on this topic, I half-expected having to stand up for Robin Hobb against someone disappointed haha

The Farseer Trilogy is one of the first fantasy series I read when I was a teenager and it's probably thanks to this that I love this genre! I started re-reading it last year and always have one of the books on my phone for when I have to wait (for someone, on the train, at the shop, ...). Just writing about it makes me want to stop everything else and continue the book!

message 3: by Brittany (new) - added it

Brittany (gamerkiti) I'm not even going to lie, when I saw this notification pop up on my screen I thought it was a Robin Hood novel....like King of thieves haha...but, upon reading the fact that you guys loved it, and reading the synopsis I've added it to my TBR list :)

Sophie (sawphie) Brittany, you just made a very good decision. ;) Robin Hobb wrote 5 series following different characters from the same world. I haven't read them all yet, but I really like how she writes, the stories she creates and especially her characters.

Silvia Turcios | 304 comments Sophie wrote: "I'm so glad you loved the book, I also love this series! When I clicked on this topic, I half-expected having to stand up for Robin Hobb against someone disappointed haha

The Farseer Trilogy is on..."

Sounds great! I am now even more excited about reading the rest of the series :)

message 6: by Zaz, Mood Minion (last edited Aug 19, 2015 12:56PM) (new) - added it

Zaz | 1387 comments Mod
Silvia, you can dive in the other Hobb's books without problem if you loved Assassin's Apprentice (maybe avoid the Soldier Son series, lots of people have problems with it... I didn't finish the 1st book). The Liveship Traders was probably my favorite series by her, with plenty of interesting characters and some strong women.
There are cross-overs between her series, so read them in order :)

Silvia Turcios | 304 comments Zaz wrote: "Silvia, you can dive in the other Hobb's books without problem if you loved Assassin's Apprentice (maybe avoid the Soldier Son series, lots of people have problems with it... I didn't finish the 1..."

Thanks for the advice! I was very interested in The Farseer Trilogy and The Tawny Man, but I guess I'll have to read everything (except the Soldier Son) :D

message 8: by Sophie (last edited Aug 19, 2015 01:56PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sophie (sawphie) The Tawny Man series pictures the same characters as in the Farseer Trilogy, some years later.

The Liveship Traders series is in my opinion a little less good than the two above, mostly because the ending is a bit rushed. But it's still very enjoyable and is kind of a prequel for Rain Wild Chronicles (which I haven't tackled yet).

The first time I read these series was in French and they have the bad habit of cutting English books into 2 or 3 books. So I actually read 22 books instead of 9! For the same story! Talking about wanting to make money...

Silvia Turcios | 304 comments Hahaha, look at the bright side, you're always traveling with light books :D

Anastasia (anastasiaharris) | 319 comments I read the Tawny Man series as a side read. I love Robin Hobb. Her heroes are not one dimensional or always the good guy.