Great Middle Grade Reads discussion

Mirrors and Glass (Finley Flood #1)
This topic is about Mirrors and Glass
AUTHORS' CORNER > Lost Mojo, writers block and such things.

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I know we have many, many readers here on Goodreads and it's very rewarding for a writer to see how many people enthuse and engage in discussions about the books they read. We always remain ever thankful to our followers, and without you guys we would be looking for new careers.
But things for a writer are not always easy, and in fact sometimes its incredibly difficult to get the words down on paper. I have just been through such a period of extreme demotivation and frustration and I would like to share an entry from my blog, to give you an idea of how a writers life can be badly affected by a loss of mojo.

Lost Mojo
Okay, well it happened. It just crept up on me without me realising it, In fact I think it had been stalking me for a while. I was on a roll too, the first and second books in the series had been out for a while and were doing well, and writing the third was making good progress. Finley was in a perilous situation and the tension and excitement was growing, when suddenly it happened- the thing we all dread - something stole my Mojo.
It was gone, just like that and despite sticking at it for a few weeks, the story would just not come. Thoughts in my head had turned to mush and I wrote paragraph after paragraph of irrelevant rubbish. I have never used the delete button as much as I did then and frustration began to set in.
So I walked away. Closed the screen and upped and left and little did I know, it would be months before I would return. I just left Finley hanging there, not knowing where I had gone and if I would ever return. He didn't deserve that, my good friend.
Today I woke up, and finally began the hunt for my mojo. My head is still jumbled and I intend to take some time to read the stories through thoroughly, before going back to the unfinished script.
I can do this, I know I can. Watch this space.

message 2: by S.W. (new)

S.W. (swlothian) | 844 comments Mod
Very relatable. It's good to see that you're getting back on track. Good luck with your mojo hunt.

message 3: by Jemima (new)

Jemima Pett | 1282 comments Mod
I left one book halfway through till I sorted out where it was going and how to handle the problem I'd given myself. I have an ability to trust my brain to sort it out in the background while I get on with something else. It took about eighteen months to get back to it, but I wrote another in the series in between. I'm just lucky I have other things to get on with!

message 4: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Douglass (rdouglass) | 1668 comments Mod
I have a tendency to drop my writing when life gets hectic or just stressful. It's not so much losing my mojo as a failure to prioritize writing. But when that goes on too long (as it has this spring and summer) it is very hard to get in the groove again. Monday a.m. starts my proper writing routine again.