The Book Vipers discussion

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
2015 Challenges > Group Challenge Read - September 2015 - Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? - NO SPOILERS ALLOWED

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Paul (halfmanhalfbook) | 5459 comments Mod
The discussion thread is now open. No spoilers on this one, please.

Sandy | 458 comments I'm definitely going to read this! Neverwhere is good too, but I've already read it.

I had read it years ago, so will be re reading it

Pink Oh, I'm glad this won, I'm looking forward to both the book and film. I've never read or watched either.

It is one of my favourite films

Sandy | 458 comments I'm doing something different today. I'm reading the book and watching the movie all in one day. So far they are dissimilar in setup.

Harrison Ford sure has changed!

Sandy | 458 comments I didn't complete the book today because I had to help fix our van. I'm over halfway through the book and it is entertaining. The movie was fun to watch, with its 80's take on SF. The actors have changed so much!!

Haven't they Sandy!

message 9: by Catherine (last edited Aug 24, 2015 06:02AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Catherine | 492 comments Mod
Just finished this one. I like the film but it's more cold and clinical in it's execution. The book focuses more on feelings and Rick Deckard's internal confusion about his feelings and on how others feel. On this occasion I enjoyed the book more than the film.

Sandy | 458 comments I also liked the book better than the movie. I think the book explained the main character's empathy and understanding of the androids. The movie, although fun to watch, didn't tackle the all of the topics that the book covered. Both fun and worth reviewing!

Jason (jasondenness) | 1875 comments Both are really good, I do wish the book was a bit longer though.

message 12: by Pink (new) - rated it 3 stars

Pink I started this yesterday, not very far in yet. It really reminds me slightly of the film Surrogates with Bruce Willis, or I am Legend, though I'm expecting that to change as i get further in.

Catherine | 492 comments Mod
Pink wrote: "I started this yesterday, not very far in yet. It really reminds me slightly of the film Surrogates with Bruce Willis, or I am Legend, though I'm expecting that to change as i get further in."

I can see why it might make you think of the film Surrogates. There is a distance between husband and wife in the film and in this book Also both Surrogates and Do Androids Dream make use of technology to emotionally enhance their lives.

message 14: by Pink (new) - rated it 3 stars

Pink Yes it was the brief encounter between husband and wife at the beginning that reminded me of the film. Took me ages to work out what film it was!

message 15: by Lisa (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisa (mrswhams) | 730 comments Mod
Started this today. Quite surprised at the perky copy.

message 16: by Pink (new) - rated it 3 stars

Pink Nearing the end now, it's a really quick plot driven book, which is good. I'll post my thoughts on the spoiler thread when I'm finished tomorrow. Will try and locate the film soon too.

message 17: by Lisa (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisa (mrswhams) | 730 comments Mod
Worth getting The Director's Cut if you can find it, Pink, it doesn't have the over-explanatory voiceover the studio insisted on.

message 18: by Paul (new) - rated it 5 stars

The Director's Cut is the only version to have Pink

message 19: by Paul (new) - rated it 5 stars

Just started it. It has been a number of years since I read it.

message 20: by Pink (new) - rated it 3 stars

Pink Lisa wrote: "Worth getting The Director's Cut if you can find it, Pink, it doesn't have the over-explanatory voiceover the studio insisted on."

Paul wrote: "The Director's Cut is the only version to have Pink"

I'll bear that in mind, thanks for letting me know :)