The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

FALL CHALLENGE 2015 > 30.8 - Nick KY's task: Ghost Hunters

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandy (last edited Aug 18, 2015 06:42PM) (new)

Sandy | 15607 comments Mod
30.8 - Nick KY’s Task: Ghost Hunters

Autumn is the season to bring out the ghost stories, so I wanted to do something “Ghostly.” But I also wanted to fit the North American myth theme. In the summer, I found a book with a Native American theme (due to that fantastic task where we had to search for authors of diverse ethnic origins), a book which has become a true treasure for me – The Lesser Blessed: A Novel by Richard Van Camp, set among the Dogrib people of the Northwest Territories in Canada.

For my task, choose two different options from the following Options based on ghosts and/or The Lesser Blessed: A Novel. Read one book for each option you choose. REQUIRED: Specify the options you chose.

Option 1. Read a book, fiction or nonfiction, with the word “Ghost” or the word “Hunt” found intact in the title/subtitle/series title, or the author’s* name. Part of a larger word, such as “Ghostly” or “Hunter,” is O.K.

Option 2. Most ghost stories are gothic, but not all gothics are ghost stories. Read a book with the GR genre “Gothic” which does NOT have the word “Ghost” in the title/subtitle/series title. Embedded genres are OK, as well as if “Gothic” is a part of a larger genre name (“Gothic Romance.”)

Option 3. “Hunt” for a book which fits the following criteria. The Lesser Blessed: A Novel is a short classic of only 128 pages. Read any novel (“novella,” “novelette”) which is 100 – 150 pages in length. No poetry, plays, short story collections, or nonfiction here.

NOTE: ebooks without a print edition cannot be used for tasks requiring a specific number of pages. If you read an ebook, listen to an audiobook or read a Large Print edition use the page count for the mass market paperback if one exists. If there is no mass market paperback edition, use the paperback edition and if no paperback is available use the hardcover edition.

Option 4. Read any work of fiction or nonfiction by a Canadian author* (by birth or residence), or set at least 50% in Canada. The following Listopias may give you some ideas, though you are not limited to these listopias. (NOTE: The Lesser Blessed: A Novel happens to fall on all these listopias.)

Canadian Books Adapted for TV/Film

Best Canadian Aboriginal Fiction

Canadian YA Aboriginal Fiction

One Hundred Novels that Make You Proud to Be Canadian

*Only authors that are identified as authors (or a default blank in the author role field), co-authors, or contributors may be used for tasks involving author information. Other roles or functions such as editor, illustrator, artist, translator, introduction, designed by, foreword, preface, assistant or afterword may not be used for author-sourced tasks. Ask about other roles identified in a Goodreads record in the season's General Questions help thread.

message 2: by Nick (last edited Sep 19, 2015 11:41AM) (new)

Nick (doily) | 2380 comments Works for Option 1. The Ghoul Next Door (Ghost Hunter Mystery, #8) by Victoria Laurie Island of Ghosts by Gillian Bradshaw Ghost Hunters William James and the Search for Scientific Proof of Life After Death by Deborah Blum The Hunt for Red October (Jack Ryan, #3) by Tom Clancy
The Laughing Corpse (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #2) by Laurell K. Hamilton (Anita Blake Vampire Hunter series)

Works for Option 2. Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier Flowers in the Attic (Dollanganger, #1) by V.C. Andrews The Distant Hours by Kate Morton Bellman & Black by Diane Setterfield Dark Desires (Dark Gothic, #1) by Eve Silver
The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafón The Prisoner of Heaven (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books, #3) by Carlos Ruiz Zafón Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen Alice by Christina Henry We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield The Turn of the Screw by Henry James Whistle for the Crows by Dorothy Eden

Works for Option 3. Mãn by Kim Thúy The Lesser Blessed A Novel by Richard Van Camp The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway The Turn of the Screw by Henry James

Works for Option 4. Sweetland A Novel by Michael Crummey The Lesser Blessed A Novel by Richard Van Camp The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood Still Life (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #1) by Louise Penny The Blue Castle  by L.M. Montgomery

message 3: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 2380 comments Claimed

message 4: by Sandy (new)

This thread is now open!

message 5: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (balletbookworm) | 945 comments Excellent, I have a home for Kim Thuy's Mãn by Kim Thúy with Option 3 and then Sweetland A Novel by Michael Crummey for Option 4:)

message 6: by Pia (new)

Pia | 1057 comments Great task!

Lots of options here:

Option 2:
Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier
Flowers in the Attic (Dollanganger, #1) by V.C. Andrews
The Distant Hours by Kate Morton
Bellman & Black by Diane Setterfield

Option 3: I guess we can read The Lesser Blessed A Novel by Richard Van Camp ?

Option 4:
Margaret Atwood
Louise Penny

message 7: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1464 comments Please confirm Dark Desires for Gothic (currently 26 users).

Thanks

message 8: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 2380 comments Pia wrote: "Great task!

Lots of options here:

Option 2:
Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier
Flowers in the Attic (Dollanganger, #1) by V.C. Andrews
The Distant Hours by Kate Morton
Bellman & Black by Diane Setterfield

Option ..."

All of your suggestions for Option 2 work!

Yes, The Lesser Blessed: A Novel works for either Option 3 or Option 4.

message 9: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 2380 comments Lauren wrote: "Please confirm Dark Desires for Gothic (currently 26 users).

Thanks"

It certainly is Gothic!

message 10: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 2380 comments Melissa wrote: "Excellent, I have a home for Kim Thuy's Mãn by Kim Thúy with Option 3 and then Sweetland A Novel by Michael Crummey for Option 4:)"

A home they have!

message 11: by Sandy (new)

Please verify The Angel's Game for main page genre "Gothic." Thanks!

message 12: by KSMary (last edited Aug 19, 2015 04:21PM) (new)

KSMary | 780 comments I'd like to get The Prisoner of Heaven approved for Opt 2 in case Gothic falls off the main page.

Opt 3 The Old Man and the Sea at 132 pages.

Thanks!

message 13: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 2380 comments Sandy wrote: "Please verify The Angel's Game for main page genre "Gothic." Thanks!"

The Angel's Game is good for Option 2.

message 14: by Nick (last edited Aug 20, 2015 02:53PM) (new)

Nick (doily) | 2380 comments KSMary wrote: "I'd like to get The Prisoner of Heaven approved for Opt 2 in case Gothic falls off the main page.

The Prisoner of Heaven is good for option 2.

message 15: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 410 comments Please verify Northanger Abbey for option two. thanks :-)

message 16: by Aleksandra (new)

Aleksandra (aleksandrakonwa) | 777 comments For option 4, can I go simply with L.M. Montgomery?

message 17: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 2380 comments Valerie wrote: "Please verify Northanger Abbey for option two. thanks :-)"

Certainly -- Northanger Abbey is Gothic!

message 18: by Nick (last edited Aug 26, 2015 10:34AM) (new)

Nick (doily) | 2380 comments Aleksandra wrote: "For option 4, can I go simply with L.M. Montgomery?"

Looks like she was born in Canada. Make sure your chosen book meets SRC requirements and you are good to go.

message 19: by Aleksandra (new)

Aleksandra (aleksandrakonwa) | 777 comments Nick wrote: "Aleksandra wrote: "For option 4, can I go simply with L.M. Montgomery?"

Looks like she was born in Canada. Make sure your chosen book meets SRC requirements and you are good to go."

Thank you:)

message 20: by Morgan (last edited Sep 01, 2015 02:56PM) (new)

Morgan (faeriesfolly) | 971 comments You knew I wanted to find a place for the next Ghost Hunter Mystery book ( The Ghoul Next Door ), didn't you? lol. Didn't even have to pause to think about what to use for that option. XD

I don't know what I'll be able to get from the library so I have a couple to get verified as gothic just in case:

Alice
We Have Always Lived in the Castle
The Thirteenth Tale

Thanks in advance! fun task :)

message 21: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 2380 comments Morgan wrote: "You knew I wanted to find a place for the next Ghost Hunter Mystery book ( The Ghoul Next Door ), didn't you? lol. Didn't even have to pause to think about what to use for that op..."

All are verified. Alice is probably the only one that really needed it, as the other two are gothic classics.

message 22: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (faeriesfolly) | 971 comments Nick wrote: "Morgan wrote: "You knew I wanted to find a place for the next Ghost Hunter Mystery book ( The Ghoul Next Door ), didn't you? lol. Didn't even have to pause to think about what to ..."

Thanks ;) Yeah hopefully true, but I've had "classics" fall off of classics and other surprising things so I've gotten pretty paranoid about trusting genres. lol. Much appreciated. I'm hoping to get my hands on Alice though.

message 23: by KSMary (new)

KSMary | 780 comments I'd like to change mine to The Turn of the Screw by Henry James

message 24: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 2380 comments KSMary wrote: "I'd like to change mine to The Turn of the Screw by Henry James"

The Turn of the Screw works fine for options 2 or 3. I am going to fit it in somewhere, though not here, as I re-read it every October.

message 25: by KSMary (new)

KSMary | 780 comments Can you believe that I had never read this before? Glad that I was finally able to do so now.

message 26: by puppitypup (new)

puppitypup | 272 comments Will these work?

Option 1: Island of Ghosts by Gillian Bradshaw
Option 2: Whistle for the Crows by Dorothy Eden

message 27: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 2380 comments puppitypup wrote: "Will these work?

Option 1: Island of Ghosts by Gillian Bradshaw
Option 2: Whistle for the Crows by Dorothy Eden"

Both books work.

message 28: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cindyd) | 256 comments Cindy C.

Do the books in the Antia Blake, Vampire Hunter series work for Option 1?

Examples: The Laughing Corpse
The Lunatic Cafe

message 29: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 2380 comments Cindy wrote: "Cindy C.

Do the books in the Antia Blake, Vampire Hunter series work for Option 1?

Examples: The Laughing Corpse
The Lunatic Cafe"

Be sure to indicate to the mods that the letter sequence "Hunt" shows up in the series title on the home page of the book, since it does not appear in the link. You will be good to go then.

message 30: by Claire (new)

message 31: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 2380 comments Claire wrote: "Option 1: Tatooine Ghost by Troy Denning

Option 3: The Stranger by Albert Camus"

Both look good.

message 32: by Tara Bieck (last edited Oct 05, 2015 03:53PM) (new)

Tara Bieck | 433 comments Does this work for Option 3?

The Gingerbread Girl by Stephen King

I'm unclear if this meets your guideline for "no short stories". It is listed with a Main page of "Short Stories" but this is a single individual work, not multiple short stories in one.

I listened to the audio (which shows as 2 pages) and there is a paperback in a foreign language that lists as 105 pages. I am guessing this meets the page requirements, but will confirm with Mods if needed for the page requirements.

Thanks in advance.

message 33: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 2380 comments Tara Jo wrote: "Does this work for Option 3?

I'm unclear if this meets your guideline for "no short stories". It is listed with a Main page of "Short Stories" but this is a single individual work, not multiple short stories in one.

I listened to the audio (which shows as 2 pages) and there is a paperback in a foreign language that lists as 105 pages. I am guessing this meets the page requirements, but will confirm with Mods if needed for the page requirements...."

You've got me on this one. No English language print version listed, but an Italian language version at 105 pages. Does that count?

I do not know. I will ask.

message 34: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 2380 comments Tara Jo wrote: "Does this work for Option 3?

I'm unclear if this meets your guideline for "no short stories". It is listed with a Main page of "Short Stories" but this..."

Hi again Tara Jo,

I have asked the mods and here is DlmRose's reply:

"From the rules
'> If the sort results in an edition in a language other than English the edition SHOULD be used to establish length.'

Hope that helps"

So it looks like you can use "The Gingerbread Girl."

Hope that helps.

message 35: by Tara Bieck (new)

Tara Bieck | 433 comments Thank you for the information and clarification on the length. And for purposes of YOUR requirement (No Short Stories), does it also meet the requirement? Since it does have "Short Stories" on the main page, is that what determines? Or the fact that it's a single work does it still work for purposes of your task?

Thanks for assistance on this one.

message 36: by Nick (last edited Oct 08, 2015 06:34AM) (new)

Nick (doily) | 2380 comments Tara Jo wrote: "Thank you for the information and clarification on the length. And for purposes of YOUR requirement (No Short Stories), does it also meet the requirement? Since it does have "Short Stories" on th..."

I believe that genre indicates that some readers think of this as a short story rather than a novella or novelette. If it has the required number of pages, it qualifies as a novella, IMHO. So you are good to go.

--My instructions were meant to dissuade folks from reading collections of short stories. A single work of the required length is cool.

message 37: by Tara Bieck (new)

Tara Bieck | 433 comments Nick wrote: "Tara Jo wrote: "Thank you for the information and clarification on the length. And for purposes of YOUR requirement (No Short Stories), does it also meet the requirement? Since it does have "Shor..."

Great...thanks! I wasn't sure what would be used on the technical aspect of this, so thanks for confirming!

message 38: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments The Best Short Stories of Edgar Allan Poe - Can I please get this verified as 'Gothic' as it's already dropped off once.

message 39: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 2380 comments Nicola wrote: "The Best Short Stories of Edgar Allan Poe - Can I please get this verified as 'Gothic' as it's already dropped off once."

Your choice is good for option 2. Enjoy!