Insomnia Book Club discussion

Reading Challenges > I.B.C's Lengthy Books Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 66 (66 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Amaya, Bookworm (last edited Aug 18, 2015 03:06PM) (new)

Amaya | 1553 comments Mod
For a new side challenge that is just for fun give the Lengthy Books Challenge a try. Discussion for this challenge can be right here in this thread.

To view the challenge within our goodreads group click here.

To view the challenge on our blog click here.

message 2: by Dhfan4life (last edited Oct 28, 2015 02:06PM) (new)

Dhfan4life | 1051 comments Here are my books:

1. First World (Walker Saga, #1) by Jaymin Eve *

2. Hyde (Hyde, #1) by Lauren Stewart

3. The Ghost Bride by Yangsze Choo *

4. Easy Bake Coven (Easy Bake Coven, #1) by Liz Schulte *

5. Soul Rest (Knights of the Board Room, #7) by Joey W. Hill

6. Banded (Banded #1) by Logan Byrne *

7. The Surrogate by C.J. Evans

8. Betrayal (The Descendants, #1) by Mayandree Michel

message 3: by Amaya, Bookworm (last edited Oct 21, 2015 11:45AM) (new)

Here are my choices (unless i switch one out later for the second throne of glass :I)

Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1) by Sarah J. Maas It Happened One Autumn (Wallflowers, #2) by Lisa Kleypas Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass, #2) by Sarah J. Maas Avenging (Rising, #3) by Holly Kelly and Fury (New Species, #1) by Laurann Dohner Heir of Fire (Throne of Glass, #3) by Sarah J. Maas Queen of Shadows (Throne of Glass, #4) by Sarah J. Maas

message 4: by Amaya, Bookworm (new)

O_O cant wait to see if Banded is any good from u sis. that and hyde.

message 5: by Dhfan4life (new)

Dhfan4life | 1051 comments Me too. I've heard good things about Hyde but just never know what my take will be. Banded is a fingers crossed one. But we shall see. I'm not even sure which I'd start with yet to be honest. Any guesses on yours?

message 6: by Amaya, Bookworm (new)

same on hearing good things about hyde. both hyde and banded sound really good so hopefully they are, hopefully all of urs are really. most likely throne of glass since im still on a a court of thorns and roses high but if not then prob either first drop or crimson or it happened one autumn

message 7: by Dhfan4life (new)

Dhfan4life | 1051 comments Eeenie meenie time it sounds like. But the Fae high sounds like it will come back.

message 8: by Amaya, Bookworm (last edited Aug 27, 2015 03:52PM) (new)

changed some of my book choices :I. chumchum told me about the new species series and really got me interested in it XD. LOL buttt if the second book in the throne of glass series has me dying for the 3rd book then might switch one out for it again -dead-

message 9: by Dhfan4life (new)

Dhfan4life | 1051 comments Haha totally your choice sis. And if you like the New Species series. You might be into the same author's Cyborgs. From what I've seen folks definitely love both series.

message 10: by Amaya, Bookworm (new)

saw the cyborgs one too but really wasnt sure on it tbh. idr if i added it or not O_o. but like i told chumchum that book Fury's description reminds of that batman forever cartoon in an episode where they do splicing

message 11: by Dhfan4life (new)

Dhfan4life | 1051 comments Wow that does sound interesting. I used to Watch Batman Forever.

message 12: by Amaya, Bookworm (new)

ikr o_o. haha nice sis. didnt watch it a whole bunch but did watch it some XD

message 13: by Dhfan4life (new)

Dhfan4life | 1051 comments Same it was in on during that growing out of cartoons phase. S yea didn't see it as often. I just was intrigued cause it was someone younger that he was mentoring.

message 14: by Amaya, Bookworm (new)

lmao nice way to put it sis @ growing out of cartoons phase. it was actually a pretty good cartoon considering o_o

message 15: by Dhfan4life (new)

Dhfan4life | 1051 comments Haha yea, I don't see as many toons these days. Funny thing was they had sponge bob on at the surgeon's office and it was totally driving a dude across from popz an I nuts. While two dudes next to him were like glued in like they were 5 when both of em likely were in their 30's or so, haha.

message 16: by Amaya, Bookworm (new)

aws lol. omg LOL thats funny dude. well they gave yall entertainment while waiting hah

message 17: by Dhfan4life (new)

Dhfan4life | 1051 comments True that. Although I think when they see a majority of adults in the room, flip the remote to something adult based. And if it's more kids flip to something for the kids or something. Poor dude look like he was going to strangle poor Bob, lol.

message 18: by Amaya, Bookworm (new)

oooh i gotcha. LOL og poor bob -dies-

message 19: by Dhfan4life (new)

Dhfan4life | 1051 comments I got Ghost Bride the other day and started it. Going interestingly so far.

message 20: by Dhfan4life (new)

Dhfan4life | 1051 comments Just finished First World (Walker Saga, #1) by Jaymin Eve it was rather likable. But in ebook format the info dumping was enough to do my head in! Might have been better in a physical copy but still pretty good. Not going to continue the series though as it was good for what it was. But don't think I could keep up with all the planet jumping and other such stuff.

message 21: by Amaya, Bookworm (new)

yay XD @ finished. i hate that. some books just suck in e-book format imo, especially for that reason. sorry it wasnt good enough to continue but glad u liked it ^.^

message 22: by Dhfan4life (new)

Dhfan4life | 1051 comments You telling me. And for once the cover matches the MC. Save for the tattoos being on the right instead of the left of her body. Going to read two shorter stories to make up the time I loss, lol.

message 23: by Amaya, Bookworm (new)

wow O_O thats shocking considering the covers these days. lmao good idea XD. i really need to get back to reading Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass, #2) by Sarah J. Maas eventually

message 24: by Dhfan4life (new)

Dhfan4life | 1051 comments IKR? I was totally amazed by that. But I guess too since I saw somewhere that said that the author was an Indie author, maybe she had some friends help her with the cover design. And she got more of what she was looking for that way. As good as I keep seeing that Crown series is from other peeps, should totally suck ya back in like you never left it. :)

message 25: by Amaya, Bookworm (new)

haha its possible XD. no problem on getting into it fortunately lmao. just been passing out so much when going to bed x.x

message 26: by Dhfan4life (new)

Dhfan4life | 1051 comments Ah well, you will get there in do course once all the craziness and stuff dies down.

message 27: by Amaya, Bookworm (new)

thats true XD. and being sick doesnt help either e.e

message 28: by Dhfan4life (new)

Dhfan4life | 1051 comments No kidding. That is definitely the worse for sure.

message 29: by Amaya, Bookworm (new)

ikr O_O

message 30: by Amaya, Bookworm (new)

-falls over- forgot to post here. finished Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass, #2) by Sarah J. Maas and working on Heir of Fire (Throne of Glass, #3) by Sarah J. Maas now rofl

message 31: by Dhfan4life (new)

Dhfan4life | 1051 comments No probs sis. I'm slowly chucking along myself. I think I have like 3 or 4 to go.

message 32: by Amaya, Bookworm (new)

ure doing really good sis O_O. i have 4 plus the rest of heir of fire left to go. Queen of Shadows (Throne of Glass, #4) by Sarah J. Maas is gonna be 648 pages long O_O. ordered a copy of it today XD

message 33: by Dhfan4life (new)

Dhfan4life | 1051 comments Sweet baby Jesus. I think in a wrestling match that is called a death match round LOL.

message 34: by Amaya, Bookworm (new)

LMAO dude this only happened bc i LUV this series so much XD. finished heir of fire last night and now just waiting on queen of shadows to come in. might take a reading break until it does LOL :I

message 35: by Dhfan4life (new)

Dhfan4life | 1051 comments *bust out the high speed fans and point them in your direction. Add in a big thing of Gatorade* well deserved and do not blame ya at all sis. And dude this is totally why we don't read enough lengthy books at a time in the year. It is definitely a LOT to get through. And need reading rehab there after.

message 36: by Amaya, Bookworm (new)

LMAO thanks sis! ikr!!!! O_O its so much and then its like... cant... put... down.... lmao XD. queen of shadows is the last one in the series until next year. the series will be 6 books in total

message 37: by Dhfan4life (new)

Dhfan4life | 1051 comments Wow just six books. But sounds like it's been epic all the way.

message 38: by Amaya, Bookworm (new)

lmao yeah that's kinda long but its really good XD but shorter than some thank god

message 39: by Dhfan4life (new)

Dhfan4life | 1051 comments True, but that means that is an author that knows how to write with a purpose. Don't need a ton of books or a whole lot of extra stuff. Just gets right to the point.

message 40: by Amaya, Bookworm (new)

yesss e.e 98% of the book series that are MASSIVELY long get dragged into the ground so bad and u just lose interest in it

message 41: by Dhfan4life (new)

Dhfan4life | 1051 comments I have someone say that about the DH books. But I will over look and just keep reading! And not commenting! Though it's tempting to say that said person is damn crazy for thinking that, haha.

So I started Banded (Banded #1) by Logan Byrne and ironically enough it's reading like a combo of Divergent and Hunger Games. Which you would think would be epically interesting. And it would be, but so far(having just read 6 chapters into things), the tone feels/sounds/reads a bit juvenile-ish. Not completely but it's like the author doesn't want to get too deep into things with the MC's emotions of a sort. And even the explanation for why they are "sorted" into these different zones is ringing with some hollowness as well. Like really THATS the reason you are taking folks away from their families?!?!

But maybe throughout the rest of the story it will turn around. So far the bit of a twist that the female MC has 3 guy friends and not the best rapport with the other female teens.

message 42: by Amaya, Bookworm (new)

i remember u saying how some ppl say that about the dh series. haha dragged into the ground or not if someone still luvs it or w/e book series then i say keep reading ^.^.

oh wow dude that sucks o_o. when u first said divergent and hunger games thought it might be cool rofl. hopefully the story turns around and is good tho. x.x reading a long book all the way through when it sucks is gah.

btw i got queen of shadows in and e-mailed to u the pic i had posted of it since yahoo gives probs. lemme know if u get it tho since i wasnt on the comp. it was just a text e-mail.

message 43: by Dhfan4life (new)

Dhfan4life | 1051 comments In some ways it's better than the both of them. And yet not feeling as impactful as either of them either if that makes sense.

And did you just send the email? Cause I just checked and haven't seen any pics come in.

message 44: by Amaya, Bookworm (new)

dang o_o. LOL lemme know if u get that feeling to throw it out the window or at the wall! -dead-

nope sent it yesterday o_o

message 45: by Dhfan4life (new)

Dhfan4life | 1051 comments Haha we shall see. Once the author figures out where and how she wants things. Then it might get deep enough to be long term interesting maybe.

Gah, yea definitely didn't get it. Sorry sis.

message 46: by Dhfan4life (new)

Dhfan4life | 1051 comments Finished Banded, and have to say definitely don't read it sis. It had too much back and forth with the characters in regards to them being able to take on the world to barely having any confidence and the government officials were no better either.

message 47: by Amaya, Bookworm (new)

no worries. maybe i can just try sending over yahoo then.

wow O_O thanks sis def will keep that from off of my list then!

a little ways into queen of shadows and dude LOL im having a heart attack through so many parts and getting hardly any sleep e.e this book is gonna kill me on sleep -dead-

message 48: by Dhfan4life (new)

Dhfan4life | 1051 comments Okie dokie.

Mhmm, and the rest of the series doesn't get any better from what I read. A shame really as they had such great cover art too.

Well as the saying goes, can rest when your dead, lol. Til then much Red Bull and chocolate to keep you going til you finish. ;)

message 49: by Amaya, Bookworm (new)

u know it sucks when the book has great cover art or a really great "idea" but then when u get to read it its like e.e just not all that good

haha XD. 200 or so pages left to go i think :s

message 50: by Dhfan4life (new)

Dhfan4life | 1051 comments Ain't that the truth. I think though they should put free excerpts/samples of freebies out there too and not just for the ones you have to purchase. Might actually save some time.

You can do it sis! I'm 60 pages into Betrayal (The Descendants, #1) by Mayandree Michel , although I think the chapters/editing was a bit off. As I know I read just up to for chapters last night but it was saying it was chapter 5 already, and I just passed chapter 5 again a bit ago. But at least I'm at the "who am I really?" part of things and hopefully it gets better for all these pages.

« previous 1