Talk of the Town discussion

The Girl on the Train
This topic is about The Girl on the Train
#1A: The Girl on the Train > What did you think of the resolution?

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by PB (new) - rated it 4 stars

PB (darlingdarcy) | 168 comments Mod
Did you expect it? Did you suspect it? If you wrote the book or you have the choice to change the ending, would you change it? Why or why not?

I just want to know what you guys think !

Cathie (catitude) I think the ending is realistic in that everything is not peachy keen; life goes on, you feel the after effects and repercussions of things you have done in the past, behaviour takes time to change but you still move forward. I like that she has begun to feel ok with herself and can start to let go of fantasizing about other people and focus on her own needs.

message 3: by PB (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cathie wrote: "I think the ending is realistic in that everything is not peachy keen; life goes on, you feel the after effects and repercussions of things you have done in the past, behaviour takes time to change..."

Hmmmm. I like that.

Caele | 32 comments I suspected Tom, but I didn't really suspect him to die. And I'm glad Rachel moved on.
I was relieved Anna decided to do the "right" thing. If she had turned on Rachel at the last minute I would have liked the book a lot less.

message 5: by PB (new) - rated it 4 stars

yeah really.. i'm glad Anna and Rachel decided to cover up for each other after everything that happened between them.

there was a point in the book when i just stopped trying to predict what will happen next and just allowed myself to get swallowed in the mystery.

Keka (kekaro) Meh... I don't know. I was hoping for this whole thing to go completely left and Anna and Tom somehow frame Rachel and then Rachel sits in jail wondering if she did it after all. Her drunken craziness could've been used to frame her. Wish that would've happened.

I figured the mystery out pretty early on and then I was hoping something I hadn't predicted happened. Unfortunately, it didnt. I still enjoyed it though.

Keka (kekaro) Caele wrote: "I was relieved Anna decided to do the "right" thing. If she had turned on Rachel at the last minute I would have liked the book a lot less."

I actually would've liked it more. It would have been more realistic to me. I like when people continue to be who they are. In real life, people don't have these miraculous breakthroughs and swift changes of heart. They're assholes and they continue to be assholes...

But I'm just weird like that...

message 8: by PB (new) - rated it 4 stars

Keka wrote: "Caele wrote: "I was relieved Anna decided to do the "right" thing. If she had turned on Rachel at the last minute I would have liked the book a lot less."

I actually would've liked it more. It wou..."

Haha. Well, you have pretty strong opinions.
Although, I think that even though Anna didn't turn on Rachel, it didn't necessarily mean that she wasn't being who she was. I don't think that her act of not turning on Rachel is completely unselfish.. she was just trying to protect her own interests which is her safety and the safety of her child from Tom. It had nothing to do with wanting to do the "right" thing. She was being Anna - concerned only with herself and her satisfaction. If she turned in Rachel, then Rachel would have said something about Anna not "attempting" to revive Tom. They both lied, to cover up for themselves.

message 9: by PB (new) - rated it 4 stars

Keka wrote: "Meh... I don't know. I was hoping for this whole thing to go completely left and Anna and Tom somehow frame Rachel and then Rachel sits in jail wondering if she did it after all. Her drunken crazin..."

Well, that would have been a funny version of the ending... if Rachel kept wondering until the end whether she did it or not. She definitely would learn to sober up then.

Caele | 32 comments Peachy wrote: "Keka wrote: "Caele wrote: "I was relieved Anna decided to do the "right" thing. If she had turned on Rachel at the last minute I would have liked the book a lot less."

I actually would've liked it..."

Yeah I think that makes a lot of sense. I didn't think of it like that, but you're so right. She was still being selfish in her own way, it just happened to work out for the best for Rachel.

Manuel Chala | 2 comments From one second I thought Rachel may kill herself just to stop watching the face of Tom dying un her mind. But I like that she can go on with her life.

message 12: by PB (new) - rated it 4 stars

Manuel wrote: "From one second I thought Rachel may kill herself just to stop watching the face of Tom dying un her mind. But I like that she can go on with her life."

True. Rachel seemed very much the suicidal type. But it would have been a waste if she did it for Tom. It would have been a waste if she did it for any reason really... but still it would have been even more of a waste. hahaha

Manuel Chala | 2 comments Peachy wrote: "Manuel wrote: "From one second I thought Rachel may kill herself just to stop watching the face of Tom dying un her mind. But I like that she can go on with her life."

True. Rachel seemed very muc..."

I felt sad for Rachel because Tom was the responsible for every single bad thing that happened in her life. I bet he was the one who couldn't have childs.

I really identified with her because something like that happened to me years ago, that kind of poisonous relationship (although not to the homicide level).

Jessica Starr | 2 comments I am glad Tom is gone. He was one scary son of a b. I didn't suspect him, but then again I didn't know who to suspect. I really liked the way it ended.