Books about brothers discussion

What are you looking for in your books about brothers? (other than brothers of course :D)

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Calls (new)

Calls | 482 comments Mod
What I like most is the first person POV of one of the brothers. If the book is well written and the story is interesting, I don’t mind the third person POV, but first p. POV is the best.
I love action and hurt/comfort situations. Probably that’s why I love Cal Leandros so much. Cal’s voice is bitter, but awesome still, and how he freaks out in Deathwish when he sees Niko in a pool of blood is priceless.
Simply, I like it when one brother fears for the other, it’s somehow a prove of love to me – that they care.
Well, all of this doesn’t mean that books without action and hurt/comfort situations are bad. Psychological development is very interesting, too. The development of the relationship I love, too. Perfect example of this is Split – they’ve got issues, common issues with their parents, and you just keep hoping that in the end of the day (well, book) they will get on well with each other.
When there is action and relationship development combined – perfect! (like Mélusine series)

What your perfect book about brothers would look like? And which one is your favorite so far?

message 2: by Kassie (new)

Kassie | 147 comments I love the Older brother caring and protective for his younger brother. I like some hurt/comfort and some complicated relationships.

Chimera and Basilisks by Rob Thurman has a really nice brother relationship like this and a good read as a bonus.

I finally just wrote my own book about two brothers that has the type of close complicated bond I like. The older brother raised his little brother then the little brother ran away and five years later they are reunited to rebuild their relationship but I like crime and mystery books so it has some of that in it. It turned into a series of three books about 50k words each. It has a lot of the caring protective older brother and some hurt/comfort too. I don't really know that I'm all that good of a writer but my friend who loves brothers too loved it and wants me to write a fourth. Anyhow if anyone wants to read it I can post the link to fictionpress where it is. I just started working with an editor though and she is helping me with the first book in the series to clean it up a bit.

Other than that I haven't found any books I am just super in love with but I'm always looking for them.

I read

Tex, it's was cute, not super in love with it but I'll take what I can get in the brother area lol

The Things A Brother Knows, again it was okay, I would have loved a little more brother bonding though.

Miracle's boys, this was pretty good, it had more of the caring brothers I like.

Brothers and Bones, good book but the older brother is only talked about in the book. Still it was worth the read.

Under the bridge, reading it now so I'll let you know what I think when I'm done.

That's all I can think of off hand.

message 3: by Adele (new)

Adele | 167 comments I like a dominant older brother. I want the older brother to be loving and protective, but also in charge, and, honestly, at least a little rough. I'm also a sucker for words - certain turns of phrase and expressions of both love and dominance are what I'm looking for. That's what I want in the relationship. One scene containing that is enough to get me to remember a book, but not necessarily read the whole thing. When it comes to enjoying a whole book I like SF/Fantasy and I appreciate quality writing, strong female characters, well-built worlds. Character is much more important to me than plot, but I get bogged down in excessive description.

I love the Demon's Lexicon series. From Demon's Covenant: "In two worlds," said Alan quietly, "there is nothing I love half as much as you." That's Alan expressing his love for his brother. In a different scene Alan grabs Nick by the hair and makes him stand down even though Nick is a demon with infinitely more power than Alan, so there's the dominance. ;-)

That's my most recent "favorite so far". When I was in Junior High I adored the S. E. Hinton books, particularly The Outsiders. Amazing brother relationships in that.

Elizabeth A. Lynn is probably my favorite author of all time. Dancers of Arun has brothers, but for me the older brother is too protective and gentle with his younger brother. He is rougher with another young man that is like a little brother to him though, so this book still rates among my favorites. It has incest though, so avoid it if that is a deal-breaker for you. Dragon's Winter is a fantastic book, but the brothers are enemies so I don't even count it as a "brother" book. The sequel, Dragon's Treasure, has a very interesting and subtle, but extremely harsh and dark, relationship between two men who are half-brothers. I so wish Lynn would write another book in this series.

message 4: by Kassie (new)

Kassie | 147 comments I'm the same way, I like an in charge older brother. I kinda like him bossy and dominant of his younger brothers. That's why I like the river boys so much. He is very dominant and his younger brothers know when they have crossed the line.

I have not found a book yet that really hits that spot yet. I would say Chimera and Basilisk comes the closest.

message 5: by Calls (new)

Calls | 482 comments Mod
Thank you for your opinions!
Kassie, I would definitely like to read your books!
And Adele, I guess you'll make me read the Demon Lexicon series after all :D

message 6: by Kassie (new)

Kassie | 147 comments Sure, again warning not really sure if they are any good. But I try and I at least write about what I love, Brothers ;).

The old version of the book is here:
https://www.fictionpress.com/s/315440...

The new version that is being reworked with an editor is here:
https://www.fictionpress.com/s/326193...

And the other two books in the series I have not posted fully yet. anyhow let me know what you think as I am trying to improve my writing ability.

message 7: by Adele (new)

Adele | 167 comments Calls wrote: "Thank you for your opinions!
Kassie, I would definitely like to read your books!
And Adele, I guess you'll make me read the Demon Lexicon series after all :D"

Well, I was just now thinking I ought to try Chimera and Basilisk again, so I'll give Rob Thurman one more shot too! LOL

message 8: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 46 comments I'm much the same as you all. I like the big brother to be protective, but also bossy and dominant sometimes. I like him to almost like a second parent. Big bros should also tease their little bros from time to time.
The little bro/bros can be a bit rebellious. Hurt/comfort is important because there you can really see the brotherly love. And yeah, if you don't know already, I don't mind codependency at all. Fighting and dysfunction is okay, if after that they still love each other (most of all people preferably, bros before girls etc)
Adele, after that quote I have to read the Demon series!! And Cal Leandros sounds perfect but I'm not sure where I could find it in my country...

For my case, the best examples are probably Supernatural (Dean the best big brooo, puppy-eyed Sammy and the codependency) and the Outsiders. The series Code was great too.

And Kassie, I'm so going to read your books when I have time!

message 9: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 46 comments Waaait this was about books :D forget Spn and The Code

message 10: by L.K. (new)

L.K. Evans | 11 comments I think you guys have already hit on what I like. It's definitely the protective part that I enjoy most. I also want to see them face tons of horrible situations that threaten to pull them apart, but they fight their way through. And of course the "I'd do anything for you" part.
Harry and his brother in Jim Butcher's Dresden series have a great relationship. Still, not as close as I'd like it to be. and it's sadly not consistently explored book to book. Matter of fact, the one I just read didn't even have his brother in it.
So, I'm still on the lookout for that great fantasy book with close brothers for the main characters, preferably where they are out of their teenage years.

message 11: by Calls (new)

Calls | 482 comments Mod
Jenna wrote: "I'm much the same as you all. I like the big brother to be protective, but also bossy and dominant sometimes. I like him to almost like a second parent. Big bros should also tease their little bros..."

I'm getting my books in here: http://m.bookdepository.com/Nightlife...
They've got plenty of them, and the free delivery worldwide, plus they are not too expensive = perfect :)

L.K. - you haven't read Cal Leandros, have you? ;)

message 12: by L.K. (new)

L.K. Evans | 11 comments Calls wrote: "Jenna wrote: "I'm much the same as you all. I like the big brother to be protective, but also bossy and dominant sometimes. I like him to almost like a second parent. Big bros should also tease the..."

I've been a bit hesitant. The vampire part kinda is a turn off for me. But I've heard them mentioned several times in this group so I think I'll give them a go.

message 13: by Roxane (last edited Aug 26, 2015 02:32PM) (new)

Roxane | 206 comments There's only one recurring vampire character, and she's not there all that much. And I quite like her. Don't worry about it.

What you need to be prepared for is a LOT of sarcasm and angst and Cal having lots of self-pity parties. You grow to love the little shit, but I know that for some it has been hard at first. It is totally worth it though, I buy those books as soon as they hit the shelves. They're my go-to brother read when I need a quick fix. Lots of protectiveness, close bond, Niko bossing Cal around, and they never turn against each other. Also lots of hurt/comfort. For anyone who loves brothers, they're a must try.

Edit: As a bonus I also think that the urban fantasy elements are really well done. I love their adventures and the plots are usually quite good. It's a win-win.

message 14: by L.K. (new)

L.K. Evans | 11 comments Roxane wrote: "There's only one recurring vampire character, and she's not there all that much. And I quite like her. Don't worry about it.

What you need to be prepared for is a LOT of sarcasm and angst and Cal ..."

That's great to know. I love love sarcasm so this looks like it might be something I really enjoy! Thanks for the info :)

message 15: by Calls (new)

Calls | 482 comments Mod
Very well said, Roxane :)

message 16: by L.K. (new)

L.K. Evans | 11 comments Calls wrote: "Very well said, Roxane :)"

Thanks so much for recommending this, Calls and Roxane. I really enjoyed it! Love finding new series :)

message 17: by Roxane (new)

Roxane | 206 comments L.K. wrote: "Calls wrote: "Very well said, Roxane :)"

Thanks so much for recommending this, Calls and Roxane. I really enjoyed it! Love finding new series :)"

So glad you liked it! You could also try Chimera and Basilisk which are the beginning of another series by the same author. I remember liking them very much, but I need to re-read them. It's about two brothers also (Rob Thurman knows the way to my heart).

message 18: by Calls (new)

Calls | 482 comments Mod
I also thought that Chimera and Basilisk are "the beginning of another series", actually waiting for some sequels, but after rereading them lately I found out that they are pretty much finished after those two books. Shame :( Fortunately there's still Cal :D

I'm glad we gained another Leandros fan, L.K. :)

message 19: by Roxane (new)

Roxane | 206 comments Calls wrote: "I also thought that Chimera and Basilisk are "the beginning of another series", actually waiting for some sequels, but after rereading them lately I found out that they are pretty much finished aft..."

Well crap, I was wondering when that third book was going to come out. It has been a while. Sad to think I won't see those two again, especially since the latest Cal Leandros book was my least favorite of the bunch.

Oh well, what can a girl do!

message 20: by Calls (new)

Calls | 482 comments Mod
Hope. Hope that Cal will get better again :D

message 21: by Antony (last edited Nov 08, 2015 12:45AM) (new)

Antony Millen | 14 comments Hi everyone. I really enjoy being part of this group and seeing how people respond to the question about brothers in books. I am currently releasing my third novel, my second one to deal with brothers. I'd love it if you could check it out - I've just added it to Goodreads though it will be just a couple of weeks before it's available online. The book is called 'The Chain'. Cheers.

The Chain by Antony Millen

message 22: by Kassie (new)

Kassie | 147 comments Thanks Antony I have added it to my to read list. When will it be available on Amazon?

message 23: by Antony (new)

Antony Millen | 14 comments Kassie wrote: "Thanks Antony I have added it to my to read list. When will it be available on Amazon?"

Great! I am planning to have it launched on there in 2 weeks. The e-book will be available shortly after that.

I'll post in this group again when it's ready.

message 24: by Kassie (new)

Kassie | 147 comments Ok great sounds like a fun book to ready. Oh am I love the cover art. I'm a graphic designer so I'm always watching cover designs and that's a cool one.

message 25: by Antony (new)

Antony Millen | 14 comments Kassie wrote: "Ok great sounds like a fun book to ready. Oh am I love the cover art. I'm a graphic designer so I'm always watching cover designs and that's a cool one."

Thank you - I've just revealed it to the world today and am getting a terrific response. I'll pass on comments to the designer.

message 26: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 46 comments Wow seems awesome! I'll add it to my list c:

message 27: by Antony (new)

Antony Millen | 14 comments Jenna wrote: "Wow seems awesome! I'll add it to my list c:"

Terrific!

message 28: by Antony (new)

Antony Millen | 14 comments Antony wrote: "Hi everyone. I really enjoy being part of this group and seeing how people respond to the question about brothers in books. I am currently releasing my third novel, my second one to deal with broth..."

Thanks for adding my book, those who have. Just to update you - today I launched it on Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/Chain-Antony-Mi...

message 29: by Kassie (new)

Kassie | 147 comments Awesome I purchased one.
Thanks

message 30: by Karaikuma (new)

Karaikuma (karai_kuma) | 17 comments awesome anthony! i will purchase one.

message 31: by Kassie (new)

Kassie | 147 comments I'm almost finished with one book now so I will start it as soon as it arrives. Looking forward to it, sounds like my type of book

message 32: by Antony (new)

Antony Millen | 14 comments That's terrific Kassie and Karaikuma. I hope you enjoy it - be sure and let us know what you think. Cheers.

Seema ♥Nerdgirl♥ (brotherlyloveisbeautiful) | 48 comments I love it when a big brother ( like Tadashi from the movie, Big Hero 6 ) is caring, loving, and protective of his younger brother. Also, I love to read from a younger brother's pov.