2016: A Dance to the Music of Time discussion

Invitation To The Dance: A Handbook to Anthony Powell's A Dance to the Music of Time
This topic is about Invitation To The Dance
Additional Reading > Invitation to the Dance: A Handbook

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sunny (new)

Sunny (travellingsunny) | 49 comments Mod
Additional Reading...

message 2: by Nigeyb (last edited Nov 17, 2015 01:17PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nigeyb ^ Very helpful it is too. Not really a book to read cover to cover but one to dip into. Whenever a name comes up the reader can remind himself or herself about that individual.

message 3: by Damaskcat (new)

Damaskcat I found it very useful when I was listening to the audio book versions of the novels for the first time.

message 4: by Sandy (new) - added it

Sandy I was surprised to discover that the Handbook appears to be published only in ebook form. While I enjoy reading ebooks, I find a reference book in print format to be much more useful. Fortunately, I was able to buy a new paperback copy through an online used book service. I am pleased to have received it already so that I can familiarize myself with some of the background details before plunging into the series. I'm looking forward to it!

Nigeyb Sandy wrote: "I was surprised to discover that the Handbook appears to be published only in ebook form."

Really? I had no issues getting a paperback copy last year.

Sandy wrote: "Fortunately, I was able to buy a new paperback copy through an online used book service"

Great news - definitely better to have a physical version of this book for ease of use

Nigeyb ^ Physical versions still readily available in the UK..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Invitation-Da...

message 7: by Kristen (new) - added it

Kristen I bought a physical version yesterday from Seattle's best indie bookery Elliott Bay Books. It had been on the shelf for a while, and so I got a little discount for shelf wear, but it was a great find. And I bought the first movement too, so I'm all set for Jan. 1.

message 8: by Sandy (new) - added it

Sandy Maybe it's just a question of North American distribution - or lack thereof - in paperback. The copy I did obtain came from a company in the UK.

message 9: by Damaskcat (new)

Damaskcat Karen wrote: "My printed copy of the Invitation arrived this week. I have a feeling I'll be thumbing through this book many times during the next year!"

I have a paper copy

Here's the Amazon UK link

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Invitation-Da...

message 10: by Pixelina (new) - added it

Pixelina I just ordered this as printed book and it will arrive in 2 weeks. Got it cheap second hand.

Kalliope | 67 comments Should this be read afterwards or as a companion?

Nigeyb Kalliope wrote: "Should this be read afterwards or as a companion?"

As a companion - very handy to remind yourself of characters but beware it can give away plot points.

It's not really a book to read cover to cover.

Kalliope | 67 comments Nigeyb wrote: "
As a companion - very handy to remind yourself of characters but beware it can give away plot points.

It's not really a book t..."

Thank you. I just ordered it.