Pakistani Readers discussion

Debates n Discussions > You Read To??

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aakash (new)

Aakash (mistyanon) | 5347 comments Mod
Why Do You Read Books?

After Seeing Which Qualities You Pick Up A Book To Read.

You Read(Purpose), Just To Finish One more Book or Try To Absorb It?

message 2: by Maira (new)

Maira | 5852 comments Mod
I read books to get away from the world around me and to get lost in the fictional world of characters for a few hours. I read for pleasure not because I need a way to pass my time. reading taught me many things and I read to absorb whatever knowledge I can get from them either these books are fantasy or classics or contemporary or non fiction...i learn from every book I read.

I even learned something by reading the first 50 pages of 50 shades of grey taught me to never judge a book to be good by just reading the blurb.... ALWAYS READ THE REVIEWS GIVEN BELOW ALWAYS. ;p :D (I learned my lesson)

message 3: by zainab (new)

zainab (zainab_sheikh) | 771 comments I, honestly, don't know why I read. I guess it's because reading makes me feel better and it's an escape for me. I kind of inherited this from my nani. She used to read and write novels.
Reading is also very healthy. It reduces stress and books are very informative and full of knowledge. I think that every book in this world teaches us something.
"And say: My Lord increase me in knowledge." (Qur'an, Ta-Ha 20:114)

message 4: by Ramla Zareen (new)

Ramla Zareen Ahmad | 421 comments My main reason for reading is that sometimes I yearn to temporarily escape into a wonderful world of fiction, where love flourishes, justice prevails, tolerance is encouraged, compassion is felt, mercy is recommended, good triumphs over evil, and a happily ever after is always achieved.

Moreover, the positive characters in these books become close friends. They touch me with their sincerity and kindness, delight me with their humour and decency, motivate me with their optimism and wisdom, inspire me with their faith and goodness, impress me with their courage and intelligence, reassure me with their weaknesses and eccentricities, and improve me with their principles and values.

Such books may not be very realistic, but to me, reading fiction is like going on a vacation to a wonderful world, which is preferably different from the real world, where I can just relax and unwind :-) 

Reading such books provide me immense happiness and a sense of deep comfort ...and afterwards, I am able to face the responsibilities of real-life with rested mind, positive thoughts and fresh enthusiasm :-)  

message 5: by Aakash (new)

Maira wrote: "I read books to get away from the world around me and to get lost in the fictional world of characters for a few hours. I read for pleasure not because I need a way to pass my time. reading taught ..."

haha!! Well many people has learned that lesson from the fifty shades, especially after its movie! :3

message 6: by Aakash (new)

Zainab wrote: "I, honestly, don't know why I read. I guess it's because reading makes me feel better and it's an escape for me. I kind of inherited this from my nani. She used to read and write novels.
Reading i..."

What are the titles of the novels she had written? :)

message 7: by Aakash (new)

Ramla Zareen wrote: "My main reason for reading is that sometimes I yearn to temporarily escape into a wonderful world of fiction, where love flourishes, justice prevails, tolerance is encouraged, compassion is felt, m..."

That's good, Books are best friends and a very old and best way of inspiration and share your own imagination with others. Letters and words has power that have potential to change life even whole biodiversity. :)

message 8: by Aakash (new)

I Read to Think, To see things to see things from some other perspective. To see how other thinks about certain things and see the wild and beautiful imagination of other people who have shared it with the world. It gives us inspiration to see things in a new and very different way, a way of which you never ever have imagined about its existence i that way.

message 9: by Ramla Zareen (new)

Ramla Zareen Ahmad | 421 comments Aakash wrote: "Ramla Zareen wrote: "My main reason for reading is that sometimes I yearn to temporarily escape into a wonderful world of fiction, where love flourishes, justice prevails, tolerance is encouraged, ..."

Thanks! :-)

message 10: by Osama (new)

Osama (0042) | 257 comments I read because I need an excuse when I fail miserably in my exams :P

message 11: by Ayesha (new)

Ayesha | 975 comments Reading fiction is considered to be sort of escapism.Well what isn't?Women tend to go on a shopping spree sometimes when they are depressed and likewise chain smokers gift us passive smoking.So we readers are much better as we don't cause environmental pollution or contribute to national debt.But we still want the same thing.Escape from reality.
I think its the reason that SNS are in fad because even a nerd can be "POPULAR" on facebook.
So I read because entering a world of perfection makes my own not-so-perfect life kind of perfect.
And obviously I study to get good grades....:-)

message 12: by Jogi (last edited Mar 29, 2016 02:35AM) (new)

Jogi Badmaash (recantrecantrecant) | 474 comments I read to pass time.

message 13: by Sana (new)

Sana | 1515 comments I just read for fun. I love reading!'

message 14: by Amna (new)

Amna  (devilishpisho) | 3268 comments I read to understand other people and put myself in their shoes.

message 15: by Feyzan (new)

Feyzan - The Raven Boy (ravenboy) | 54 comments I read because I want to be a person who knows something about everything. I think books are better than human beings, they teach you, guide you, and help you escape the imperfect world for a while and live a perfect life vicariously.

Btw, by buying books or anything we don't contribute to national debt, we help economy to come out of it.

message 16: by Uzair (new)

Uzair | 988 comments I read for the pleasure of it and to get away from the troubles of my life.When i read it's as if I am watching it all through my own eyes,i feel the characters sorrow,their triumph and their grief for lost ones.It feels like i am there shouting at them when they make a stupid choice and i am there when they do something so brilliant,so unexpected,so awesome that i just go like :No!You did not just do that! read cause it takes me into a new world.

I also read because when i find a good book and read it or but it it's like I'm killing a part of myself.When i don't finish a book i feel as if half my soul has been ripped from me.

Something my friends and family always tell me"Agar abhi tak course ke itni kitabe par lete to pure school ko top kar dete
There is much more i want to say but for some reason i am unable to express it in words

message 17: by Ayesha (new)

Ayesha | 975 comments Ohh, Now-a-days I read because I've become a GR addict!

message 18: by Uzair (new)

Uzair | 988 comments GR addict?

message 19: by Ayesha (new)

Ayesha | 975 comments Addicted to goodreads like addicted to facebook

message 20: by Maria (new)

Maria (mariasaleem) | 4 comments I read to escape,to travel to another world. I also read to learn,I always learn in almost every thing I do: watch TV, go out, write,etc.
And also because, obviously, I enjoy it ^_^
And,I read popular books because I want to know what I think about them,to have an opinion about them. I read Review Copies to support new indie authors :)

message 21: by Ahmad (new)

Ahmad (ahmadspikes) | 143 comments I read for the pure pleasure of it.

message 22: by Q.M. (new)

Q.M. Sidd (qmsidd) | 36 comments To learn, gain knowledge and be able to understand the meaning of the term Wisdom. I might never be wise but at least understand what wisdom means.

This conclusion is formed on the basis of the fact that the more I read and the more I gain, the more I realise the less that I know or understand. and I go on...

Also and importantly- I read in order to have a voice and improve my writing.

Seems like reading then is not a selfless virtue of progress, it is but a selfish vice exercised in demanding a return :)

message 23: by Lara (new)

Lara Zuberi (larazuberi) | 569 comments I think reading is s gift. We don't realize it, but so many people in this world cannot read. Many can, but just don't, because books were never part of their childhood.
Reading is escape, it's a great hobby, it's a phenomenal teacher. Reading has taught me about life, about writing, about the complexities of real-life characters and situations. It happens at a subconscious level, over time.
It broadens our vision, and increases empathy, allows us to see different sides of an argument and not always assume that we are right.

message 24: by Q.M. (new)

Q.M. Sidd (qmsidd) | 36 comments Plus- reading instigate a particular part of the brain. Those little grey cells that are not instigated by anything else can you believe that :)

message 25: by imts (new)

imts (heirofinkandpaper) | 322 comments Q.M. wrote: "Plus- reading instigate a particular part of the brain. Those little grey cells that are not instigated by anything else can you believe that :)"

Was that, by any chance, a Poirot reference? Or am I just seeing a reference where there is none? :D

message 26: by imts (new)

imts (heirofinkandpaper) | 322 comments My parents were the ones who introduced me to reading, particularly because they wished I would learn English through the books they bought me (and now they bang their heads against the wall when I ask for another visit to the bookstore, but eh XD). Ever since then, I haven't been able to part myself from books, nor have I particularly wanted to.

message 27: by Q.M. (new)

Q.M. Sidd (qmsidd) | 36 comments Wow. I finally officially get to know another Aghatha Christie person :) yes a Poirot reference but what I said is true as proved through a BBC documentary.

message 28: by imts (new)

imts (heirofinkandpaper) | 322 comments I don't doubt its truth... but yes, it's been a while since I've seen an Agatha Christie lover XD
Honestly speaking I like her Poirot books more than the others (well, I DID go and buy ten of them pretty much in one go). Hbu?

message 29: by Q.M. (new)

Q.M. Sidd (qmsidd) | 36 comments Now you are talking. I love Poirot series. Jane Marple isn't that good but maybe I'm prejudiced in favour of Poirot. Her general books without these two are also nice. I've read 50 of her books ;) mostly Poirot from book one to book 20 in series and the last 5 too. And she is my darling ;)

message 30: by Samra (new)

Samra Yusuf I read to learn "how to write"
every writer have to be a reader first!

message 31: by imts (new)

imts (heirofinkandpaper) | 322 comments Hmm... I've read a few of her non-Poirot books (And Then There Were None being my fave), and also a couple regarding Miss Marple, though I much prefer Poirot himself.

message 32: by Q.M. (new)

Q.M. Sidd (qmsidd) | 36 comments Oh yes I second that. Hey have you seen the BBC 1 three part mini series on - and then re were none- you are going to love t to the core I tell you. If you still haven't get on to it right away and you won't regret it. I think it's a three or four part series of an hour and bit each.

message 33: by imts (new)

imts (heirofinkandpaper) | 322 comments No, I haven't seen it, but neither had I heard of it before today... I'll definitely try it now :)

message 34: by Q.M. (new)

Q.M. Sidd (qmsidd) | 36 comments Oh goodness. You will thank me with your life I tell you. Do watch it and let me know how you liked it.

message 35: by imts (new)

imts (heirofinkandpaper) | 322 comments Will do! :D

message 36: by Aakash (new)

Samra wrote: "I read to learn "how to write"
every writer have to be a reader first!"

hehe!!! that's true!

message 37: by Aakash (new)

haha!! wow, here we have great readers in Pakistan but Alas still less books and bookstores.

And i have seen many people here who reads alot unlike me. I'm a part time reader! xD :3 lol!!! It's a good thing that new generation is getting friendly with books and literature but still only Engineers and Doctors are considered Genius in Pakistan. I hope someday it will change and everyone's choice of career will be appreciated and supported.

message 38: by Samra (new)

Samra Yusuf you just clothed my thoughts into words dear!
its the need of hour to explore more horizons....

message 39: by Aakash (new)

Samra wrote: "you just clothed my thoughts into words dear!
its the need of hour to explore more horizons...."

:)