The Golem and the Djinni (The Golem and the Djinni #1) The Golem and the Djinni question

Has Folklore Fantasy Run Its Course?
Kristopher Lewis Kristopher Aug 16, 2015 07:01PM
It's becoming quite a hot topic these days--trolls and djinnis and golems and gods, and I wonder, has it run its course like the faery-vampire-werewolves that have taken over urban paranormal fantasy?
In my opinion, no. I think there's enough folk lore out there to keep a fresh perspective. Plus, folklore is meant to withstand the test of time by changing with the times.

Not yet I hope!

It will not run the course over if it is very well done in fantasy books. However if every other author begins to write fantasy based on these particular creatures, I am afraid nobody will be able to do it justice. Just like there is Anne Rice executing wonderfully the vampire fantasies in her first three books which makes you want to fall in love with the genre as compared to Stephanie Meyer's Twilight which makes you want to loathe it.

I think Magic Realism best captures this book.

I'm not really sure I would classify this as folklore fantasy - by which, I gather you mean fantasy with werewolves and vampires and etc? But, for argument's sake, let say it is.

This book is, for me, proof that the genre hasn't. It may be well populated - even over populated, depending on your perspective. But I loved this book, and I'm so glad the author decided this genre hadn't run it course. I don't feel there are many other books out there like it. I think there's ample room out there for those with imagination to write great stories about golems, ginnis, and yes, even vampires and werewolves.

Although please, no more Twilight.

Interesting question but would you call this folklore fantasy? To me folklore fantasy conjures up something else, fairytale retellings or something like the 'Hydden' series which don't really appeal to me.

However, I loved this, but what I liked so much about it was the non-magical real-world setting. The Ginni is a ginni and the Golem is a golem but they have to adapt to survive among humans. To me, it's not folklore fantasy, but I don't know what a better categorisation would be...

I'm sure ginnis and golems will run their course, but I think there is a demand for stories exploring the boundaries between fantasy and reality in interesting and original ways. For me, The Night Circus is another good example of this (and it has very little, if any, connection to folklore).

Folk Lore never dies. It's what so much is built off of today. Can't get rid of it if we wanted to. And who would do such a silly thing like that for in the first place?

I would definitely say no. Its just a matter of how much it shows through. Even "Faery-vampire-werewolves" are based in folklore. I think that a large proportion of fantasy is descended from folklore. Even Tolkien was inspired by Icelandic Sagas and the Poetic Edda.

The genre will be around for a long while, I'd say. I've read the folk tales from many different peoples and cultures, and there is no end to what could be written. There will be waves of what becomes popular, like the vampires and werewolves in recent years, but the next wave will bring new ones and those too shall recede.

Folk lore is too much a part of our culture to get rid of it. Think about all of the urban legends there are now, and if you research enough you'll find an old folk or fairy tale that is nearly the same, only the names and places have changed. To protect the innocent. >.> *crickets* Ahem, not to say that it's true in all cases, but the stories will simply evolve to fit the culture.