2015 Reading Challenge [Closed] discussion

Ready Player One (Ready Player One, #1)
This topic is about Ready Player One
. Week 38: In High School > Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Anastasia (anastasiaharris) | 319 comments I really did not wish to revisit high school and was not looking forward to this week. But while looking through other peoples lists I found this book. There have been some great reviews, and as I am a child of the 80's it was perfect.

Anastasia (anastasiaharris) | 319 comments I loved this book. While there was quite a few references to the 80's in the story it was not necessary to understand all of them to enjoy the book. I certainly did not recognize most of the gaming ones. He also included movies, books and songs from that period too. I enjoyed remembering some of them with a few laughs from his insights.
The main plot of the contest was very engaging. It had me on the edge of my seat a few times. He did have a few themes about young love, coming of age during the internet era, the thrill of winning a game.
The ending was a tad cliche but total acceptable in a young adult book, which I took this to be. It was supposed to be based on the 80's too, so to be expected.
I am looking forward to more of his books.

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 307 comments I have this just on my general TBR list. Geek alert, but I got my copy in a Loot Crate several months ago and I've been trying to find a place/time to read it. I'm glad you enjoyed it. As a fellow 80s child, I am looking forward to it. They are making it into a movie that comes out next year, and I know I definitely want it read before that happens!

Anastasia (anastasiaharris) | 319 comments Alright, that is a movie to add to my list. I have been recommending this book to my hubby, so many things he lives are in it. A movie my be more his thing though.

Anastasia (anastasiaharris) | 319 comments I just found out that Wil Wheaton reads the audio book. I am so getting it. :)

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 307 comments Be still, my beating heart!

message 7: by Zaz, Mood Minion (new) - rated it 2 stars

Zaz | 1387 comments Mod
I was surprised to see that overall I didn't enjoy the book as I'm totally the target. I think I've problems with authors who like to write lists and lists of stuff, it's definitely a turn away for me.

Jacki Manda wrote: "I have this just on my general TBR list. Geek alert, but I got my copy in a Loot Crate several months ago and I've been trying to find a place/time to read it. I'm glad you enjoyed it. As a fell..."

Reviews of this book have intrigued me :) I'm going to be reading this for my high school week. Also, Manda, as a fellow nerd I recieved a free copy with loot crate as well :)

Bam cooks the books ;-) (bamcooks) Hi! I'm going to join in with this one for hs week!

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 307 comments Jacki wrote: "Manda wrote: "I have this just on my general TBR list. Geek alert, but I got my copy in a Loot Crate several months ago and I've been trying to find a place/time to read it. I'm glad you enjoyed ..."

That has been one of my favorite Loot Crate gifts :)

Bam cooks the books ;-) (bamcooks) What a fun read!

Anastasia (anastasiaharris) | 319 comments I just got my copy of the audio book. My family is listening to Will Wheaton. :)

Jacki Anastasia wrote: "I just got my copy of the audio book. My family is listening to Will Wheaton. :)"

He is so adorable :)

Veronica | 70 comments I read this for my book with a number in the title and totally loved it. Once I discovered my library had the audiobook I had to listen to it. I love the way Wil reads it, he has a great voice for audiobooks.

Kelly Decoteau (kjdecoteau) | 16 comments I listened to the audiobook too! Used this one for the future category.

message 16: by Jacki (last edited Sep 29, 2015 06:34PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jacki Week 38 Thoughts - ♥♥♥♥♥ + ♥♥♥♥♥ (if Goodreads would let me)

This is kind of a cop out for 'set in high school' seeing that it only had a few scenes actually in school BUT I DONT CARE BECAUSE THIS BOOK IS SO AWESOME IT WINS AT EVERYTHING.

I haven't enjoyed a book this much in a long time - easily one of my favorite books of the year if not ever. I should probably start by clarifying that I'm a huge nerd. Not so much a 1980s nerd or original gaming systems aficionado, but I hold my own in nerd pop culture (especially video games). I mean heck I got this book in a Loot Crate. So yea - I knew it was going to appeal to me.

On top of all that the story is completely original and engaging. Competition, drama, murder, humor and mystery. Ahhhh I love it. Plus, I absolutely loved hearing about all the features of the OASIS world. Can't wait to sign up for it ;)

I would recommend this book to anyone that enjoys a good futuristic or fantasy read. Also - anyone that is obsessed with the 1980s. You'll love this.

Anastasia (anastasiaharris) | 319 comments Jacki wrote: "Week 38 Thoughts - ♥♥♥♥♥ + ♥♥♥♥♥ (if Goodreads would let me)

This is kind of a cop out for 'set in high school' seeing that it only had a few scenes actually in school BUT I DONT CARE BECAUSE THI..."

I agree it is kind of a cop out for this week, but I personally did not feel like revisiting high school.

Erica | 214 comments I'm about halfway through this now and am loving it. I was a kid in the 80's so I get most of the references, and the story is pretty engaging. I'm finding it hard to put down :)