readers advisory for all discussion

unsolicited recommendations > Books That Truly Capture What Being In Love Feels Like

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carson (new)

Carson (givemetimeandacrayon) | 58 comments I'd guess that I'm on the younger side as far as users on Goodreads. I'm not out of my teenage years yet but have been blessed with many good books in the years I've been reading.
I am going to present a teen problem that will probably bring back memories for some, or resonate currently. I thought I had a relationship with a guy who was apparently just using me for fun. I thought we were friends and even more than that. I loved this guy. He was the tall dark and handsome. He's off at sea with the Navy currently. But it's like I was in a relationship.
So I bring up this topic because reading is healing and many other things. I find a lot of teen books that are not realistic in their love story or where the characters have no chemistry.
I have to say Every Day by David Levithan is probably my favorite love story. It's also the weirdest concept. I also love The Fault in our Stars by John Green, Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell, the Georgia Nicholson series, the Ruby Oliver series, the Art and Coll series by Kate Cann, Ten Things We Did and probably shouldn't have, the duology Cycler/Recycler and duology What My Mother Doesn't Know/What My Girlfriend Doesn't Know. All for the faults in love and the Rose colored moments in love. Tell me your favorites.

message 2: by Sasha (new)

Sasha (fearal) | 57 comments Would you be open to reading anything in the fantasy/sci-fi genre? I'm very hard to please when it comes to romance, but I was completely feeling the romantic stirrings in Stray (1st of the Touchstone trilogy ) - great spunky female character in an alien world, surprisingly no annoying whining or crying about the guy - and Cinder (futuristic cyborg Cinderella).

For a more realistic approach, definitely check out Melina Marchetta, such as On the Jellicoe Road or Saving Francesca. A much more realistic portrayal of young romance with (gasp) actual chemistry and no insta-love.

Good luck!! Let me know what you find :)

message 3: by Carson (new)

Carson (givemetimeandacrayon) | 58 comments Sasha wrote: "Would you be open to reading anything in the fantasy/sci-fi genre? I'm very hard to please when it comes to romance, but I was completely feeling the romantic stirrings in Stray (1s..."

Of course! Every Day is very sci fi! So is Cycler. Cinder is currently on my shelf at home along with tons of classic fantasy. My favorite book is magical realism, Weetzie Bat by Francesca Lia Block. FLB grows better with every book. I forgot to add in my post FLB's Love in the Time of Global Warming and its sequel The Island of Excess Love.
I have heard of Stray. The others I will have to look up. Thanks for the recommendations, Sasha! :)

Algernon (Darth Anyan) | 77 comments from my recent reads, I was impressed by Endless Love, a story of teenage infatuation that turns into obsession. Be warned though that it contains some explicit sex scenes.

Another favorite is One Day, a love story told from both the man and the woman's perspective, in alternate snapshots of where they are each year on the anniversary of their first date. It also comes with a warning (view spoiler)

message 5: by Carson (new)

Carson (givemetimeandacrayon) | 58 comments My parents have never censored my reading, so as long as it's a wonderful book, my mom doesn't mind. There's stuff in The Island of Excess Love that I'd rather not know. Normally I skip over the sex scenes in books but I plan on naming my future child Francesca Eden after Francesca Lia Block so I didn't skip over.
I think there's a sex scene in Zel by Donna Jo Napoli which I read when I was seven. Just because you have the ability to read it doesn't mean you should.
Twilight's sex scene in Breaking Dawn is still the worst. Stephanie Meyer said to herself, let's have these feathers falling all around Bella. I'm not inventive. How am I going to pull this off? I know! Edward eats a pillow!
Yes, sadly I read all four of those. Actually really liked New Moon and Breaking Dawn at the time.
Sorry this turned very long and unrelated.

message 6: by Carson (new)

Carson (givemetimeandacrayon) | 58 comments Algernon wrote: "from my recent reads, I was impressed by Endless Love, a story of teenage infatuation that turns into obsession. Be warned though that it contains some explicit sex scenes.

Another fa..."

One Day is a book I've wanted to read because of the concept. Also, Jim Sturgess is in the movie to it. I love Jim Sturgess.