Beta Reader Group discussion

Writing Advice & Discussion > Policy on Story Blurbs?

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate (new)

Kate | 6 comments Hello,
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I have a work I'm looking for beta readers for. The blurb I have for it does an excellent job of setting the tone of the story, but it does have a fair amount of profanity as well as references to violence/blood. It's not completely tasteless, but it could offend some people, and I wanted to see if that was something I was allowed to post on the site before putting it up in the Seeking Beta Readers folder.

message 2: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Tsipouras | 103 comments You should probably ask the moderatos, but ew can't judge without reading it

message 3: by Lena (new)

Lena | 172 comments Mod
Are you worried that the blurb or the book is offensive to some?

If it's the blurb: post your blurb for critique in the blurb crit section, with a note in the post title that it contains profanity. Ex: Blurb help (warning: profanity) or something like that.

If you're worried about the manuscript itself having objectionable content, just make sure you mention that in your beta request. Yes, you absolutely may still request betas. Post in the "Authors seeking Betas" folder. In the post itself, tell a little about the novel, and warn that it has profanity/violence and whatnot. That way, no one will be taken by surprise and you'll get feedback from people who don't mind reading the kind of novel you have written.

Good luck!