New Adult Book Club discussion

Elle Kennedy
This topic is about Elle Kennedy
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Author Q+A's > Q&A with Elle Kennedy *CLOSED*

Comments Showing 1-50 of 55 (55 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Lori (last edited Aug 21, 2015 09:23AM) (new)

Lori (lorilovesbooks) | 350 comments

We are thrilled to have New York Times, U.S.A. Today, and Wall Street Journal bestselling author Elle Kennedy with us for a Q&A. Elle is the author of The Deal, and more than 80 great titles. Look for a giveaway link also.

message 2: by Edelmira (new)

Edelmira (edelby) | 116 comments What is the hardest to write: characters or the plot?

message 3: by Brenna (new)

Brenna (brennaleigh) | 62 comments Do you write in sequence, or write different scenes and then piece it all together.

message 4: by Shannon (new)

Shannon What made you initially get into writing? Where do you find your inspiration?

message 5: by Michele (new)

Michele (michelewiegert) Do you have a favorite character? And if so, what makes them you're favorite?

message 6: by Briana (new)

Briana Pacheco (brianapacheco1) | 82 comments When will The Score release?!?! Do you plan on writing more books for the Off Campus series? A novella? ;)

message 7: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Richardson | 28 comments Where did the inspiration come from for these books?

message 8: by Jen (new)

Jen Warner | 17 comments What does your writing process look like?

message 9: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (aliciabeesha78) | 66 comments Was it easier or more difficult to co-write a book? Would you do it again?

message 10: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 73 comments You write several different genres. Which one comes easiest to you?

message 11: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 27 comments Do you always know how the book is going to end when you start writing it?

message 12: by Elle (new)

Elle Kennedy (ellekennedy) | 84 comments Edelmira wrote: "What is the hardest to write: characters or the plot?"

Depends on the book! With my romantic suspense titles, the plot is usually the harder part to nail down because of all the twists and turns.

message 13: by Elle (new)

Elle Kennedy (ellekennedy) | 84 comments Brenna wrote: "Do you write in sequence, or write different scenes and then piece it all together."

I usually write in sequence, but sometimes if I'm stuck, I'll skip to later scenes and then go back and piece the earlier stuff together.

message 14: by Elle (new)

Elle Kennedy (ellekennedy) | 84 comments Shannon wrote: "What made you initially get into writing? Where do you find your inspiration?"

I've wanted to be a writer since I was six! I was always thinking up stories in my head, even back then :) And I get inspiration from everywhere! People I meet, books I read, conversations I have with friends.

message 15: by Elle (new)

Elle Kennedy (ellekennedy) | 84 comments Michele ~ Devilishly Delicious Book Reviews wrote: "Do you have a favorite character? And if so, what makes them you're favorite?"

This is a tough one! I love all of my characters, but yeah, I do have some favorites. Out of Uniform series = Dylan Wade (he's such a dirty talker!). Killer Instincts = Jim Morgan (he's such a badass) Killer Instincts = Noelle (SHE'S such a badass). Off Campus = Garrett Graham (he's just so lovable!)

message 16: by Elle (new)

Elle Kennedy (ellekennedy) | 84 comments Briana wrote: "When will The Score release?!?! Do you plan on writing more books for the Off Campus series? A novella? ;)"

No official release date yet, but I'm aiming for the end of the year. As for other books in the series, right now I only have plans for one more after Dean, but that might change :)

message 17: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Fagnani (goodreadscomnfagnani) Will you and Sarina Bowen be doing a follow up to Him? I'd love some more of Wes and Jamie!!!

message 18: by Elle (new)

Elle Kennedy (ellekennedy) | 84 comments Sharon wrote: "Where did the inspiration come from for these books?"

I write in my spare time (I know, I'm kind of a dork!) and my favorite "for fun" projects are young adult or books with younger protagonists. The Deal was one of those fun projects. I'm not sure what inspired it. I just felt like writing a sports romance as a side project, and that's the story that came to me :)

message 19: by Elle (new)

Elle Kennedy (ellekennedy) | 84 comments Jen wrote: "What does your writing process look like?"

depends on the book. for romantic suspense I have a detailed outline I work off. For contemporary, I have a basic premise and scenes I know I want to include, and I just see what happens. And I have word quotas that I force myself to meet each day, even if I don't feel like writing.

message 20: by Elle (new)

Elle Kennedy (ellekennedy) | 84 comments Alicia wrote: "Was it easier or more difficult to co-write a book? Would you do it again?"

I love co-writing! So far I've co-written with two authors (Vivian Arend and Sarina Bowen), and I enjoyed both experiences. In both cases, our writing styles/voices were very similar, so it wasn't difficult at all to get into the story. And it's easier in the sense that I get to write half a book LOL

message 21: by Elle (new)

Elle Kennedy (ellekennedy) | 84 comments Michelle wrote: "You write several different genres. Which one comes easiest to you?"

I think contemporary romance comes more easily to me because I can write lots of fun scenes and guy banter without having to stop all the time to research something technical, which happens a lot with romantic suspense.

message 22: by Elle (new)

Elle Kennedy (ellekennedy) | 84 comments Jamie wrote: "Do you always know how the book is going to end when you start writing it?"

This might be my stock answer for this Q&A, but...depends on the book! Most of the time, though, I know how it'll end. Other times, the book goes in a direction I didn't expect.

message 23: by Elle (new)

Elle Kennedy (ellekennedy) | 84 comments Nicole wrote: "Will you and Sarina Bowen be doing a follow up to Him? I'd love some more of Wes and Jamie!!!"

We're talking about doing a sequel when our schedules allow it. We both really want to!

message 24: by Shameca (new)

Shameca Smith  (mecavulnerable) Have you ever looked back on a book you've written and said "wow! I wish I would've changed that or taken that out!" Or are you pretty set in stone with what you've written?

message 25: by Sakura (new)

Sakura (valleybookdoll) | 83 comments Fingers crossed for more Wes and Jamie!! :D
HIM was a fabulous creation from you and Sarina Bowen. LOVED it! What was your process for co-writing that book with her?

message 26: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (blkel14) | 78 comments Does music play a role in your writing process? Do you make playlists for each book?

message 27: by Jabberwocky (new)

Jabberwocky  (thisjabberwockyeatsbooks) | 167 comments Helllllo! (:

So. I was wondering what your favorite characteristics of a Hero are?

message 28: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (shannonvm) Do you have any writing "rituals"- you have to have certain snacks/drinks while you write, you can only write in a certain area, music in the background, etc.

message 29: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Mastro (tipper85) | 34 comments I loved the Deal and The Mistake. Can't wait for the next book. do you have a release date? Do you have a title for the book?

message 30: by April (new)

April | 15 comments I haven't read any of your books yet, but I plan to read the Deal soon. Which of your books is your favorite?

message 31: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (marvinole) | 2 comments What inspires you when you write?

message 32: by Gina (new)

Gina (ginasanders) | 25 comments I loved your collaboration with Sarina Bowen on HIM...any plans to work together again soon?

message 33: by Elle (new)

Elle Kennedy (ellekennedy) | 84 comments Meca wrote: "Have you ever looked back on a book you've written and said "wow! I wish I would've changed that or taken that out!" Or are you pretty set in stone with what you've written?"

There are some books I wish I could un-write (not telling you which ones!!) but for the most part, I'm happy with the way most of them have turned out :)

message 34: by Elle (new)

Elle Kennedy (ellekennedy) | 84 comments Zandalee wrote: "Fingers crossed for more Wes and Jamie!! :D
HIM was a fabulous creation from you and Sarina Bowen. LOVED it! What was your process for co-writing that book with her?"

I'm so glad you enjoyed it! Our process was fairly smooth. We plotted out most of the book before we started writing, and then we would each write a scene or a chapter and then switch off. There were some scenes that I really wanted to write, or vice versa, so we would call dibs on them. And once the book was done, we each went back and did an editing pass, tweaking stuff and adding lines, etc. By the end, we couldn't even remember who wrote what :)

message 35: by Tina (new)

Tina (thecactusjefa) | 12 comments What was the last book you read?

message 36: by Laura (new)

Laura (velezlaura) Hi! Do you have any rituals you like to do either before, during or after you finish a book?

message 37: by Lexi (new)

Lexi | 30 comments What got you into writing?

*And I just want to say that I LOVE The Deal. It's one of my favorite books and favorite re-reads :)

message 38: by Elle (new)

Elle Kennedy (ellekennedy) | 84 comments Brittany wrote: "Does music play a role in your writing process? Do you make playlists for each book?"

Not really lol I tend to write in silence. Sometimes I'll mention certain songs in books (like "Stand By Me" and "Story of my Life" in the Deal) but I don't make a playlist.

message 39: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jeleabeans) | 16 comments What character, or character type, do you have the hardest time writing and why?

message 40: by Elle (new)

Elle Kennedy (ellekennedy) | 84 comments Jabberwocky wrote: "Helllllo! (:

So. I was wondering what your favorite characteristics of a Hero are?"

I love alpha heroes. the ones who like to boss you around and talk dirty to you and are kind of jackasses a lot of the time LOL But they always have a heart of gold :)

message 41: by Elle (new)

Elle Kennedy (ellekennedy) | 84 comments Shannon wrote: "Do you have any writing "rituals"- you have to have certain snacks/drinks while you write, you can only write in a certain area, music in the background, etc."

I don't have any set rituals. But I love writing outside on my deck, so the moment the snow melts and it's warm enough to face the elements, I'll be out there with a cup of tea or some ice water if it's summer :)

message 42: by Elle (new)

Elle Kennedy (ellekennedy) | 84 comments Tiffany wrote: "I loved the Deal and The Mistake. Can't wait for the next book. do you have a release date? Do you have a title for the book?"

Book 3 is called The Score. Garrett and Logan's teammate Dean is the hero :) No release date yet but hopefully I can get it out by the end of the year.

message 43: by Elle (new)

Elle Kennedy (ellekennedy) | 84 comments April wrote: "I haven't read any of your books yet, but I plan to read the Deal soon. Which of your books is your favorite?"

I would definitely put The Deal on my favorite list. Same with Midnight Action (Killer Instincts series). And Hotter Than Ever (Out of Uniform).

message 44: by Peggy (new)

Peggy M (peggymo) | 113 comments What kinds of books do you like to read? Or who's your favourite writer(s)?

message 45: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa I love your books. The Deal is one of my favs and I have reread it a bunch of times. Are you a hockey fan? Did you do extensive research? When we are in Garret's shoes the hockey world, his world is seamless. Was that difficult to accomplish?

Will book 7 (Killer Instincts) include more on Sully and Boston? Will they get their own book (fingers crossed).

Keep up the great work!

message 46: by Elle (new)

Elle Kennedy (ellekennedy) | 84 comments Kristi wrote: "What inspires you when you write?"

That's a tough question. When I'm writing, I just get in the zone and shut out the rest of the world. I get sucked into the story and the characters' heads, so I guess the story inspires me? The characters kinda just take over :)

message 47: by Elle (new)

Elle Kennedy (ellekennedy) | 84 comments Gina wrote: "I loved your collaboration with Sarina Bowen on HIM...any plans to work together again soon?"

We're talking about it! We really want to make it happen :)

message 48: by Elle (new)

Elle Kennedy (ellekennedy) | 84 comments Tina [Tina The Bookworm] wrote: "What was the last book you read?"

In a Dark Dark Wood, by Ruth Ware.

message 49: by Elle (new)

Elle Kennedy (ellekennedy) | 84 comments Laura wrote: "Hi! Do you have any rituals you like to do either before, during or after you finish a book?"

My only ritual is taking a couple weeks off after I finish a book. I need it to recharge :)

message 50: by Elle (new)

Elle Kennedy (ellekennedy) | 84 comments Lexi wrote: "What got you into writing?

*And I just want to say that I LOVE The Deal. It's one of my favorite books and favorite re-reads :)"

I always liked telling stories when I was a kid, and I never grew out of it :) And yay! I'm glad you liked The Deal. TEAM GARRETT!! <3

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Deal (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Elle Kennedy (other topics)