Making Connections discussion

ARCHIVES > Why do you stop reading?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Virginia (new)

Virginia The Mysteristas had some summer polls and one was asking readers why they don't finish a book. I've noticed I'm not finishing books more and more and wonder if other readers are experiencing the same. My reason is largely boredom. The book isn't taking me anywhere new or the writing isn't worth the effort.

message 2: by V.W. (new)

V.W. Singer | 36 comments I've done that probably since I started reading fiction. I used to go to bookshops, select a book, read the first page or two and if it didn't grab me, put it down. I never read a book just because I started it or bought it.

As for why, the first is the style of writing. If it feels stilted, dull or is simply bad, I won't read it. If there are technical errors, such as doing stupid things with guns, or hitting people on the head to put them to sleep then I definitely won't read it.

message 3: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Marbly-Warir | 16 comments I've mentioned a few times that I don't read like I used to. There were 2 books recently (and recent for me was about 3+ years ago) that I got half way through and then never finished, and not because they were bad books, but because I have too many things taking up my time and that was before I started writing my own books.

The books in question
Bram's Stokers Dracula (which I LOVE Dracula movies) but I just didn't finish it.

The other book (I don't remember the name) was a book based off of Jane Eyre (which is my all time favorite novel)

message 4: by T.H. (new)

T.H. Hernandez (thhernandez) | 41 comments Same here. If the book slows down too much, I'll set it aside and try something different. Often I'll get back to it, but not always.

Sometimes I'll try to at least get through five pages a day to see if it re-engages me. If it doesn't, I'll abandon it.

message 5: by V.W. (new)

V.W. Singer | 36 comments It's amazing how many people say they will plough on to the end even when they are not enjoying the read at all.

message 6: by T.H. (new)

T.H. Hernandez (thhernandez) | 41 comments V.W. wrote: "It's amazing how many people say they will plough on to the end even when they are not enjoying the read at all."

I used to be like that. I entered my 30s being able to say I'd never not finished a book. Until the first one I just couldn't get through. I finally gave myself permission to give up and now there are dozens and dozens of books I haven't finished. I wonder if it goes back to school, when you have to finish the book. It's just so ingrained to finish, you forget that you don't have to when you're reading for pleasure.

message 7: by V.W. (new)

V.W. Singer | 36 comments T.H. wrote: "V.W. wrote: "It's amazing how many people say they will plough on to the end even when they are not enjoying the read at all."

I used to be like that. I entered my 30s being able to say I'd never ..."

That's an interesting thought.

message 8: by Yolanda (new)

Yolanda Ramos (yramosseventhsentinel) | 33 comments There are many reasons I dont finish a book. Too slow, writing style, too many errors and typos etc. Just because I bought the book doesnt mean I have to finish it if I dont like it, but I'll never buy from that author again.

message 9: by Tabitha (new)

Tabitha Vohn | 1 comments Thankfully, the few books that I haven't finished were due solely to boredom; the story didn't live up to the hype of the blurb or other reader's reviews, and I didn't connect with it.

Time is another big factor. There are so many novels that I want to read; after I put in about 100 pages, if I'm not loving it, then I'm out :0)

message 10: by Liz (new)

Liz (cvr_2_cvr) I always made it a point to finish a book as well even if it was not really to my liking. Don't know why.. I guess I thought that even if it's bad I have to know how much worse it can get. And then it becomes entertainment... :)
The very first book ever i didn't finish happened a few years ago when i was reading Lolita... I know a lot of people find something in it, but I just couldn't. The book gave me the creeps and I just said: "Well, there's always a first!"

Why I quit reading a book now? Hmm... yeah, it it just didn't grab me. Or if it's the same, same, same... just different characters... lately there's a lot of that- overload of "same-ness" :) Same storylines, same plot, same issues just differnt characters and who wants to read the same book over and over and over again...

I have also finished reading a book about 60 pages in because it started with an accident and I was swept into a total grief and crying and I just couldn't deal with it because I hadn't got the chance to bond with the character before.

message 11: by Shari (new)

Shari Ryan (shariryan) I find if I have a bigger desire to read another book, the current one just isn't doing it for me. I hate not finishing books, but if I'm struggling too much, I don't fight through it.

message 12: by Annie (new)

Annie (iliveandbreathewords) (iliveandbreathewords) If I get bored. Usually if that's happening it's because I don't care about the characters. The writing could be beautiful, the plot could be great, but if I don't care about the characters, I won't enjoy the book.