What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Non-Fiction > SOLVED. Name of book by Jewish writer about growing up in the Depression [s]

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Trip (new)

Trip Maus | 10 comments This writer wrote very funny books about growing up desperately poor in New York in the great depression. His mother had many children, and many tactics to make ends meet. She was fond of washing the floors till they gleamed.

I cannot remember author or title, just that it was bittersweet. Help.

message 2: by Jaye (new)

Jaye  | 366 comments Is this fiction or non-fiction?

message 3: by Lindig (new)

Lindig | 51 comments First thing that popped into my mind was a book (actually a series) with a title sort of like My Name is H*y*m*i*e K*a*p*l*a*n but I can't find it with that spelling. These were fictionalized biography, set in New York City. Good luck.

message 4: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2056 comments This makes me think of "I Remember Mama"/"Mama's Bank Account" but that family was Norwegian, not Jewish Mama's Bank Account

message 5: by Trip (new)

Trip Maus | 10 comments Jaye wrote: "Is this fiction or non-fiction?"

I believe it was non-fiction, as in his memoirs.

message 6: by Trip (new)

Trip Maus | 10 comments Andy wrote: "This makes me think of "I Remember Mama"/"Mama's Bank Account" but that family was Norwegian, not Jewish Mama's Bank Account"

Very similar, but that's not it. Thanks though!

message 7: by Trip (new)

Trip Maus | 10 comments Lindig wrote: "First thing that popped into my mind was a book (actually a series) with a title sort of like My Name is H*y*m*i*e K*a*p*l*a*n but I can't find it with that spelling. These were fictionalized biogr..."

Not it, but thank you! He was a comedian, I think.

I love this community. Cheers!

message 8: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2056 comments Lindig wrote: "First thing that popped into my mind was a book (actually a series) with a title sort of like My Name is H*y*m*i*e K*a*p*l*a*n but I can't find it with that spelling. These were fictionalized biogr..."

"The Education of Hyman Kaplan" The Education of Hyman Kaplan for the link.

message 9: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2056 comments Another Jewish humor writer of the right era is Sam Levenson who wrote a book called "Everything But Money" which sounds promising Everything But Money

message 10: by Trip (new)

Trip Maus | 10 comments THAT'S IT! Thank you thank you thank you!

message 11: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2056 comments Excellent!