Libri Labra Book Club discussion

Paper Towns
This topic is about Paper Towns
Paper Towns > Started!

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tom (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tom | 263 comments Just started, having read the prologue. Should be hearing how much of the author's tone is projected through the book.

Desirai | 254 comments Mod
Tom wrote: "Just started, having read the prologue. Should be hearing how much of the author's tone is projected through the book."

Desirai Labrada
I actually expected it to be similar to Fault in Our Stars. I did not read the book, but I did watch the movie. I remember thinking to myself "I don't know any teenagers that talk like this."

That's a nice fantasy world isn't it? A place where teenagers can eloquently express themselves instead of being rude and angsty all the time. lol

Maranda Carvell (marandacarvell) | 16 comments I just finished this a few weeks ago. It was different but good. I loved the Fault in Our Stars, really worth reading Des. It's a quick read too, I read it all in one sitting.

message 4: by Tom (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tom | 263 comments @Maranda You're right, it's a quick read. I'm already about a third of the way through the book.

@Desirai I agree, but Paper Towns seems a lot less insular than Fault. If the entire book were Quentin and Margo, it might lead that way. That said, I think he has toned down the brilliance a bit, which makes for a much more believable tale.

I can easily see this being made into a movie - and maybe that's why the YA genre is all the rage now. It provides just enough in the way of literature to keep it interesting, but not so much as make for difficult reading. I'm thinking that makes for a much more direct route to screen adaptation. (Then again, Gone Girl felt the same way, and that wasn't YA.)

message 5: by Tom (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tom | 263 comments Just finished Part II. The plot thickens. I'm liking it so far.

(view spoiler)

message 6: by Tom (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tom | 263 comments Finished. 4 Stars.

John Henry (psychovandal) | 4 comments Mod
I finished it in three days. I'm haven't been an avid reader, so this is the quickest I've read through a book. I enjoyed it. It seems I like the mystery part of it. That's what kept me turning the pages; just wanting to get to the details and how things unfold.

message 8: by Tom (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tom | 263 comments He's written four books so far - Paper Towns, The Fault in Our Stars, An Abundance of Katherines and Looking for Alaska. I've read the first two, the third is on my Kindle which leads me to believe the fourth will eventually follow. While I would like to see what he could do in general fiction and literature, I do realize that young adults need literary quality as well.

Maranda Carvell (marandacarvell) | 16 comments I am reading Will Grayson Will Grayson right now and it's really funny and unique. I'm not done yet but so far prefer it to paper towns or looking for Alaska (which were both pretty good).

Marcia Morgan I've started it :)