The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Group Read Discussions > August/September group read: I Am Pilgrim, by Terry Hayes

Comments Showing 1-50 of 87 (87 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 8944 comments Mod
M. will be the group discussion leader for I Am Pilgrim, by Terry Hayes. Have fun!

message 2: by Richard (new)

Richard | 53 comments I got this as a gift at Xmas so this seems like the perfect time to pick it up and give it a shot. I'll be reading another book first but look forward to hearing people's thoughts on this.

REMEMBER UKRAINE NOW ReadingReindeer (readingreindeerproximacentauri) | 10 comments I love this novel. Read it for book pals in May, after owning it for 15 months without reading it. Eager to reread.

❆ Crystal ❆ (crystal_wright) | 310 comments I'm on hold with my library for the audiobook version. There are 8 people in front of me.

message 5: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesmorecats) | 30 comments Edge of my seat even through the long digressions to explain new events.
I expect the best of this in the film version given that the author knows cinema.

message 6: by Icewineanne (new)

Icewineanne | 286 comments What luck, I just purchased a copy from my local retailer for $5, a great deal. Looking forward to reading it with everyone :-)

message 7: by Jerry (new)

Jerry H | 43 comments I picked it up at the library last month and loved it. I won't have a copy in front of me for discussion so hopefully my memory will suffice.

message 8: by M. (new)

M. Dobson (meg_evonne) | 109 comments Hi everyone! so happy to be moderator. I'm climbing on a plane in a few seconds to escape 117 degree heat in Scottsdale, but I wanted to shout out hi! I love your comments and so glad that some of you enjoyed "I am Pilgrim" as much as I did! As for new readers, buckle up your selt-belt! It is wild roller-coaster ride. The author began his writing life as a script writter so I'm not surprised this was snapped up for a movie! He's said writing a full length thriller was the hardest thing he's ever attempted! As we progress. we'll need to post 'ideal' actors for the roles!

Confession time: This was rec'd via audible, amazon, and good reads in my 'suggested lists'. Like many of you, I put it off.

Then on the NYC subway after attending a pre-session of International Thriller Writers at the FBI NY headquarters, I struck up a conversation. (I know! I'm from Iowa! It's what we do.) Anyway this lovely large black woman was willing to chat. She RAVED about this book! Bingo! I downloaded the Audible version as soon as I exited the subway dead zone. And wow! Wow. Wow.

A debut author's best friend is an avid AND VOCAL fan! If you enjoy this as much as I did? Please post a review on Goodreads and Amazon, etc. Reviews count more than you'd imagine in this brutal publishing envornment!

And I can't wait to hearing from you! Tell your friend's. This will surely be a 4 or 5 star rating from you. Let your friends know about our discussion.

message 9: by Sandi (new)

Sandi | 18 comments I'm really excited that "I am Pilgram" was selected this month. I have it on my TO READ shelf and just haven't gotten to it.

I seem to be running a bit behind you folks as I am still reading 11-22-63. As soon as it finished, I'll be moving on to "Pilgram"........

message 10: by Izzy (new)

Izzy Holmes | 28 comments Had this book on my kindle for ages looking forward to starting

message 11: by Icewineanne (new)

Icewineanne | 286 comments Just picked up my copy, very excited to start reading this!

message 12: by VickiLee (new)

VickiLee | 483 comments I'm off to the bookstore and this is on my list.

message 13: by Richard (new)

Richard | 53 comments I've not started yet and will be starting shortly but I just had a scan and noticed my novel is just over 900 pages long which seems a hell of a lot for this type of book. Does the pace keep up throughout or does it lag in places for those who have read it? That is my concern for this one before getting into it (I so hope I'm wrong).

message 14: by Jerry (new)

Jerry H | 43 comments Richard wrote: "I've not started yet and will be starting shortly but I just had a scan and noticed my novel is just over 900 pages long which seems a hell of a lot for this type of book. Does the pace keep up thr..."

My copy was just over 600 pages. While there is some character backgrounds to deal with, it moves pretty well for most of it. The plot is a bit more intricate than some thrillers and well worth it. Dive right in!

message 15: by Skraphappy (new)

Skraphappy | 3 comments It's on my waitlist from the library. I should get it soon and I can't wait.

message 16: by Manoek (new)

Manoek Broers | 6 comments I just finished this book. I must say,. I LOVED the ending! I won't spoil anything yet because you all just started it. Though, if you get stuck reading, please read my message again: THE ENDING IS AMAZING!!!

message 17: by Icewineanne (new)

Icewineanne | 286 comments Manoek wrote: "I just finished this book. I must say,. I LOVED the ending! I won't spoil anything yet because you all just started it. Though, if you get stuck reading, please read my message again: THE ENDING IS..."

Ha Ha :-) :-)

message 18: by M. (last edited Aug 19, 2015 08:24PM) (new)

M. Dobson (meg_evonne) | 109 comments I will apologize now for poor key-stroking skills. I often review from my phone during restless nights or snippets at work. I promise to do better!

The amazing thing about this book is how it creates super backstory for all of the characters and how they are intertwined to bring the story to a great ending. And each character has his/her own mystery or secret.

message 19: by M. (new)

M. Dobson (meg_evonne) | 109 comments First decision turning point... *tear* ground zero and 2700 universes...

message 20: by Richard (new)

Richard | 53 comments I remember reading Rainbow 6 by Tom Clancy and that was a huge wedge too but I enjoyed that when reading it and it was a thriller book. I guess it's just that I'm used to this type of novel being about half as long to this. I'll be starting it this weekend so I'm hoping I get the bug and read a massive chunk of it.

message 21: by M. (new)

M. Dobson (meg_evonne) | 109 comments Richard wrote: "I remember reading Rainbow 6 by Tom Clancy and that was a huge wedge too but I enjoyed that when reading it and it was a thriller book. I guess it's just that I'm used to this type of novel being a..." Keep me posted Richard on what you think!

message 22: by M. (new)

M. Dobson (meg_evonne) | 109 comments Icewineanne wrote: "Manoek wrote: "I just finished this book. I must say,. I LOVED the ending! I won't spoil anything yet because you all just started it. Though, if you get stuck reading, please read my message again..."

It is powerful, isn't it? But I'm just a blown away by the many plot points that burst off the page. Are you going to re-read it? Or will you hunt and peck through it for your favorite parts?

message 23: by M. (new)

M. Dobson (meg_evonne) | 109 comments Skraphappy wrote: "It's on my waitlist from the library. I should get it soon and I can't wait."

Yeah!

message 24: by M. (new)

M. Dobson (meg_evonne) | 109 comments Fiona wrote: "Got this book as a gift ages ago and have just never got round to reading it. I saw it had been selected for the August/September book read so now seems like a better time than ever to read it!
I'v..."

What a wonderful gift!

message 25: by M. (new)

M. Dobson (meg_evonne) | 109 comments Jerry wrote: "Richard wrote: "I've not started yet and will be starting shortly but I just had a scan and noticed my novel is just over 900 pages long which seems a hell of a lot for this type of book. Does the ..."

Hi Jerry, as I re-listen to it, I'm struck by how difficult this would be to remake on the big screen--unless they cut it terribly which would be disappointing. I'd far rather see it as series... Thoughts?

message 26: by M. (new)

M. Dobson (meg_evonne) | 109 comments VickiLee wrote: "I'm off to the bookstore and this is on my list."
Picked it up yet, Vicki?

message 27: by M. (new)

M. Dobson (meg_evonne) | 109 comments ❆ Crystal ❆ wrote: "I'm on hold with my library for the audiobook version. There are 8 people in front of me."

Hopefully they have several copies? We'll be careful to use SPOILER alerts! Ha!

message 28: by Jerry (new)

Jerry H | 43 comments M. wrote: "Jerry wrote: "Richard wrote: "I've not started yet and will be starting shortly but I just had a scan and noticed my novel is just over 900 pages long which seems a hell of a lot for this type of b..."
Morning, M. Regarding movie possibilities...A screenwriter could tell the story in an hour and a half but would have to leave out the compelling parts that make it a STORY. It would be all 'effect' and very little 'cause'. A mini-series of say, "Homeland" quality, would be the way to go.

message 29: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments This book sounds really good.

message 30: by Margaret (last edited Aug 21, 2015 03:31PM) (new)

Margaret | 5 comments You know I've found several good reads from this group, so I bought this book from audible without too much research. Sorry to be the party pooper but I could only get through a few of the early chapters in this book. It was so mindlessly violent and shallow early on that it upset me to think I had funded the author's efforts. I tried to return it to audible but because I downloaded it and let it sit for a week it was a no go.

I hated the graphic description of sexualized violence in the first few pages. Don't get me wrong, I read books with violent passages, although I admit I skip them if they are too intense. If the story is good enough (The Ghosts of Belfast) I am fine with the author's decision to detail the cruelty of his characters.

The prose was SO clunky.

When I think of all the hardworking thriller writers who painstakingly build worlds that provide a reality that makes their fantastic plots viable, it makes me ashamed to have purchased a book that opens with a simple minded setup along the lines of "I'm a super brilliant action figure type guy who works for an ultra secret spy agency and I kill guys and I got tortured by other hardcore guys just to get this job .... yeah.

I'm not trying to rattle anyone's chain, but I do feel that since there's not a single negative post in this thread, I should at least try to explain why I wish I hadn't wasted my money on it.

message 31: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 5 comments Thanks Mary

message 32: by Richard (new)

Richard | 53 comments Just finished Part 1 and boy was that a big info dump of history. I enjoyed it but felt like you were introduced to a murder/mystery and then forget that for a hundred pages whilst we fill in some blanks.

Maybe it'll prove to be a better way of telling the story but I'd prefer tidbits interspersed to massive info dumps. That said, it made for quick reading and was interesting to get through. I'm guessing Part 2 will pick up the murder aspect then.

How are others finding it so far?

message 33: by Icewineanne (new)

Icewineanne | 286 comments Still reading part 1 - the info dump - hee hee :-)

message 34: by Richard (new)

Richard | 53 comments Hmm, well part two seems to have followed the same guise but just with some different people. I'm sure it's all intricate plotting and will come together shortly.

message 35: by Shab (new)

Shab (Shabamx) | 48 comments One of the best new authors, Terry Hayes wrote a master book. This book is a must read, and very good one to suggest.
Also, this book was the Amazon best book of the month, on June or July of 2014..., and I was thinking that the our book of month must be published at the most, during last 2 months.
Sorry about that. My bad, I stay corrected.
And good catch Margaret. Those are the reasons this book didn't get the fifth star from me.

message 36: by Richard (last edited Aug 24, 2015 05:46AM) (new)

Richard | 53 comments So now I've read the backstory of Saracen(?) or at least to a point so we have jumped to another previous plot point with Legend(?) but still nothing is moving forward! I feel like I'm being negative about it when I say this but that's not the case. I've read 200 pages in a day and that doesn't happen if you don't like something. However, get to the fricking plot already! I'm hoping all the back story will mean that I'm more attached to the characters than to my own family come the end and it all means something.

Some of the parts I read last night referring back to 9/11 were quite touching too. Have to give him a plus point for the way he wrote about a specific guy and a wheelchair.

message 37: by Icewineanne (new)

Icewineanne | 286 comments Just started Part 2. Enthralled so far. Wasn't sure if I could finish this beast of a book.
Seemed daunting at the outset, over 600 pages divided into 4 parts, having a total of 185 chapters, but from one page to the next, the story keeps moving.
Excited to find out what happens next.

message 38: by Richard (new)

Richard | 53 comments Do you find at times it can seem a bit textbooky/biographical in the way the story is told? Less fluid than other styles of writing?

message 39: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikedecshop) | 75 comments Read this about six months ago. I loved it solid five star read for me and one of the best spy/thriller/mystery all rolled into one I have ever read.

message 40: by Richard (new)

Richard | 53 comments DO NOT. TOUCH. THE EYES!!!!!

message 41: by Richard (new)

Richard | 53 comments Ah, 200 pages later and we come back to the original murder. Let's see where we kick off to from here!

message 42: by Richard (last edited Aug 28, 2015 09:09AM) (new)

Richard | 53 comments Finished part 2 last night and into part 3. It looks like things are kicking off now (forget my previous comment) and the real plot is unfolding.

I've been wrapped up in the plot even if the threads have been a bit like a bowl of spaghetti. One thing that irks me is the way that "Pilgrim" just pops up at the end of the chapter and says something, it doesn't fit the narrative for the rest of the chapter. Is it a story he's telling us? It confuses me, especially as it's no more than a couple of lines.

Keen to see how things unfold in the next part and how the hunt gets going. On to Bodrum!

message 43: by M. (new)

M. Dobson (meg_evonne) | 109 comments 2nd attempt to post. *argh* Jerry, 100% agree on the miniseries idea. Maybe like Tyrant or Bridges. Both gripping. Richard, I love your bowl of spaghetti description! And each yummy strand tastes so goid with its own subplot. Something just drives the reader on--or most of us! Negative opinions are just as welcome! I just finished my second listen on Audible. I can no longer hold a book--and certainly not this epic. I'm not sure if ai would have found it as intriguing but I honestly believe this is my favorite for all year! And I think it is a trilogy beginning? Is that possible?

The myst

message 44: by M. (new)

M. Dobson (meg_evonne) | 109 comments and it posts before I could check it. obviously that was 'good'. Please keep posting. I love hearing your comments. The myst

message 45: by M. (new)

M. Dobson (meg_evonne) | 109 comments again... mystery elements are rather basic on the technical side, which is fine, but I wonder about stretching those technical details into trilogy. Am I expressing myself well enough?

message 46: by M. (new)

M. Dobson (meg_evonne) | 109 comments And this AM I receive an email that author has follow up coming Sept 1st? It's called Year of the Locust, but it doesn't look like a sequel, right? anyone read the Ebook Free Sample? Great, I don't need another 'epic' read right now. I repeat my Goodread's review title, "Curse you Terry Hayes!"

message 47: by ❆ Crystal ❆ (new)

❆ Crystal ❆ (crystal_wright) | 310 comments M. wrote: "And this AM I receive an email that author has follow up coming Sept 1st? It's called Year of the Locust, but it doesn't look like a sequel, right? anyone read the Ebook Free Sample? Great, I don't..."

I see on Amazon that it will be released May, 2016

message 48: by M. (new)

M. Dobson (meg_evonne) | 109 comments thanks Crystal. I'll have to check that email source...

message 49: by ❆ Crystal ❆ (new)

❆ Crystal ❆ (crystal_wright) | 310 comments M. wrote: "thanks Crystal. I'll have to check that email source..."

No problem, M.... I'm tired of waiting on the library for this book so I've just used one of my credits to get the audiobook for I Am Pilgrim and hope to start it soon.

message 50: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesmorecats) | 30 comments This is one of many books that I read quickly and totally forget. After starting once again, I'm remembering details as they come up, but not know what comes next. So, guess what? I gotta read it all over again. I know I said earlier that I'm looking forward to the film version. Hope I don't blank it out also! [Yes, I'm over 65.]

« previous 1

The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Dark Tower (other topics)
Lonesome Dove (other topics)
I Am Pilgrim (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Vince Flynn (other topics)