The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

FALL CHALLENGE 2015 > 15.5 - Act (on) Your Age!

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10973 comments Mod
15.5 - Act (on) Your Age!
Add the numbers that make up your age until you get a single number (Ex: 47=4+7=11=1+1=2). Read a book with that number of words in the title. All words count, including symbols that take the place of words and could be spelled out (such as &, @, 1, 7th, 1776, etc). Symbols that are used as punctuation should not be counted. For the purposes of this task, spaces will indicate new words. Subtitles may be used or ignored. For those with a birthday during the challenge, Happy Birthday! You may choose either of your ages for this task. Required: You need not reveal your age when you post, but you do need to include the single digit result of your calculations.
Ex: The One & Only = 4 word title; The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change = 7 word title, ignoring the subtitle; The Six-Gun Tarot = 3 word title; 1984 = 1 word title

message 2: by Kristina Simon (new)

placeholder

message 3: by Kristina Simon (new)

placeholder

message 4: by Kristina Simon (new)

This thread is now open!

message 5: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 3000 comments Anyone know any books that have 11 word titles?

message 6: by Cait S (new)

Cait S | 779 comments Jayme, you add the digits until you get a single digit number. So if you are at 11 that means you add 1+1 to get 2. So you need a 2 word title.

message 7: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 3000 comments oh okay

message 8: by Tara Bieck (new)

Tara Bieck | 433 comments Some of these are excessively long for our purposes, but I found this list to help those of us who need a 7 or 8 or 9 word title!

Really Long Titles Listopia

Of course there are some that are short or don't meet the SRC criteria, but could be a starting spot if you need a longer title.

message 9: by Morgan (last edited Aug 15, 2015 12:35PM) (new)

Morgan (faeriesfolly) | 971 comments Anyone needing 7 words: You're Never Weird on the Internet (Almost) is Felicia Day's book that just came out.

"You're Never Weird on the Internet (Almost)" is really the full title, but looks like GR has the parenthetical as subtitle...but that still counts to the total for the task. (Guessing you could also use it *without* the subtitle for 6 words.)

I was going to start the audible on Monday, but now I'm going to hold it for the task. Figured I would share since I can't be the only one. ;)

message 10: by Kristina Simon (new)

Morgan wrote: "Anyone needing 7 words: You're Never Weird on the Internet (Almost) is Felicia Day's book that just came out.."

No, the (Almost) isn't behind a colon, so we wouldn't count it as a subtitle. It's not a series title either. Everywhere except the linking box the entire title--You're Never Weird on the Internet (Almost)--is showing up, so it's a 7 word title.

message 11: by Kristina Simon (new)

Tara Jo wrote: "Some of these are excessively long for our purposes, but I found this list to help those of us who need a 7 or 8 or 9 word title!

Really Long Titles Listopia

Of course there are some that are sh..."

Thanks, Tara Jo. That could be helpful.

message 12: by Kamara (new)

Kamara Gant (marasheasview) My number would be 4 because my age is 31. Can you tell me if Dawn of the Dreadfuls by Steve Hockensmith will qualify? Maybe this will give me the push I need to complete this book.

message 13: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (faeriesfolly) | 971 comments Kristina Simon wrote: "Morgan wrote: "Anyone needing 7 words: You're Never Weird on the Internet (Almost) is Felicia Day's book that just came out.."

No, the (Almost) isn't behind a colon, so we wouldn't..."

gotcha. As long as it's included. :D I kept looking at the editions on here in link version and going...but that's not the whole title!

message 14: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kamara wrote: "My number would be 4 because my age is 31. Can you tell me if Dawn of the Dreadfuls by Steve Hockensmith will qualify? Maybe this will give me the push I need to complete this book."

Sorry, Kamara. I can't find a book with that exact title. You'll need to link the book you're talking about here so I can look at it. This is always helpful when asking a question in the task help threads. You can find out how to link books and authors here: Add Book/Author & Cover

message 15: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 1385 comments I also have to read a book with a seven word title. Planning on On the Night of the Seventh Moon

message 16: by Kristina Simon (new)

Deborah wrote: "I also have to read a book with a seven word title. Planning on On the Night of the Seventh Moon"

Enjoy! I love Victoria Holt.

message 17: by Kamara (new)

Kamara Gant (marasheasview) My number would be 4 because my age is 31. Can you tell me if Dawn of the Dreadfuls will qualify? Maybe this will give me the push I need to complete this book.

message 18: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kamara wrote: "My number would be 4 because my age is 31. Can you tell me if Dawn of the Dreadfuls will qualify? Maybe this will give me the push I need to complete this book."

No, sorry, Kamara. That appears to be just a sample of the book, chapter 1 to be specific. The book itself is: Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: Dawn of the Dreadfuls and that title (everything before the colon) is 5 words.

message 19: by Kamara (new)

Kamara Gant (marasheasview) Kristina Simon wrote: "Kamara wrote: "My number would be 4 because my age is 31. Can you tell me if Dawn of the Dreadfuls will qualify? Maybe this will give me the push I need to complete this book."

No, ..."

Thanks!

Can you tell me if The Big Bad Wolf would qualify?

message 20: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kamara wrote: "Can you tell me if The Big Bad Wolf would qualify?"

Yes, that works.

message 21: by Megan (last edited Aug 28, 2015 07:19AM) (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Alice 19th, Vol. 3

Probably an odd question, but how many words would you count it as? Please say 3 or 4! lol

EDIT: Nevermind! Reading the task helps. Four words it is :D Yay for having a fall birthday, right? lol

message 22: by Kristina Simon (new)

Megan wrote: "Alice 19th, Vol. 3

Probably an odd question, but how many words would you count it as? Please say 3 or 4! lol

EDIT: Nevermind! Reading the task helps. Four words it is :D Yay for ha..."

Right you are. Happy Birthday! ;-)

message 23: by Trish (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2538 comments Do words with apostrophes in them count as one or two? Like You're, they're, don't. I've got a possible in mind, but it's got two apostrophised words in it.

message 24: by Pia (new)

Pia | 1073 comments Just to clarify: If I'm 55: 5+5=10= 1 word title?

Thanks!

message 25: by Kristina Simon (new)

Trish wrote: "Do words with apostrophes in them count as one or two? Like You're, they're, don't. I've got a possible in mind, but it's got two apostrophised words in it."

From the task description: For the purposes of this task, spaces will indicate new words. So contractions are one word.

message 26: by Kristina Simon (new)

Pia wrote: "Just to clarify: If I'm 55: 5+5=10= 1 word title?

Thanks!"

Correct.

message 27: by Pia (new)

Pia | 1073 comments Kristina Simon wrote: "Pia wrote: "Just to clarify: If I'm 55: 5+5=10= 1 word title?

Thanks!"

Correct."

Thanks!

message 28: by Trish (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2538 comments Kristina Simon wrote: "From the task description: For the purposes of this task, spaces will indicate new words. So contractions are one word. "

Thanks for the clarification

message 29: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments Unfortunately I turned 27 in July which gives me a 9. I found several 8 word titles but I am struggling to find a 9 without it having a subtitle. Anyone have any recommendations?

message 30: by Kristina Simon (last edited Sep 02, 2015 09:52AM) (new)

Kathryn CA wrote: "Unfortunately I turned 27 in July which gives me a 9. I found several 8 word titles but I am struggling to find a 9 without it having a subtitle. Anyone have any recommendations?"

You know you can use the subtitle if it helps, right? The task says: "Subtitles may be used or ignored"

message 31: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments Oh, no, I missed that. I will see if it helps. 9 is still a hard number.

message 32: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3762 comments Kathryn CA wrote: "Unfortunately I turned 27 in July which gives me a 9. I found several 8 word titles but I am struggling to find a 9 without it having a subtitle. Anyone have any recommendations?"

I haven't read it but I saw this at the bookstore the other day ... My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry

message 33: by Julia (new)

Julia (julia103) | 1784 comments Does March: Book Two work for a one word title?

message 34: by Kristina Simon (new)

Julia wrote: "Does March: Book Two work for a one word title?"

Yes. Subtitles (in this case, Book Two) can be ignored so this is a one word title.

message 35: by puppitypup (new)

puppitypup | 272 comments Please confirm for a single digit total of 8

The House of Silk A Sherlock Holmes Novel by Anthony Horowitz
The House of Silk: A Sherlock Holmes Novel by Anthony Horowitz

message 36: by Kristina Simon (new)

puppitypup wrote: "Please confirm for a single digit total of 8

The House of Silk A Sherlock Holmes Novel by Anthony Horowitz
The House of Silk: A Sherlock Holmes Novel by [author:Anthony Horowitz|..."

Yes, using the subtitles, that's 8 words.

message 37: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 884 comments Does 4th Down: A Cassidy James Mystery work for a 2 word title?

message 38: by Kristina Simon (new)

Cindy wrote: "Does 4th Down: A Cassidy James Mystery work for a 2 word title?"

Yep. Two word title without the subtitle (or 6 if you wanted to use the subtitle).

message 39: by Allison Ann (last edited Nov 03, 2015 03:07AM) (new)

Allison Ann | 402 comments Can I get If You Ask Me (And Of Course You Won't) approved for a nine word title. GR doesn't show its proper title until you click.

message 40: by Kristina Simon (new)

Allison Ann wrote: "Can I get If You Ask Me (And Of Course You Won't) approved for a nine word title. GR doesn't show its proper title until you click."

The original title is listed as If You Ask Me: And of Course You Won't, which would make And of Course You Won't a subtitle. So, yes, including the subtitle, this book would work for the task even though it's not showing up like subtitles usually do.

message 41: by Allison Ann (new)

Allison Ann | 402 comments Thank you.