Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

In His Steps
This topic is about In His Steps
Book Issues > Many editions without real entries

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 84 comments I wanted to change the edition of the book I have, since I got an additional eBook copy and seen there are plenty of entries without propper content

https://www.goodreads.com/work/editio...

I checked now the paper editons too and the situation there is much better not so many edtions without real content though many withough covers or missing pages numbers.

I'm still (re-)considering a new entry of the edition I have since there are so many, we'll see.

message 2: by Empress (new)

Empress (the_empress) Not sure what do you call proper content but those are all valid editions as they have valid ASIN numbers,

Have in mind librarians are volunteer users who work on the database every day adding the fore mentioned details. We do apologize these specific books have not yet been updated but there are often bigger issues to deal with.

If you want a specific edition to be corrected please post a request for it and provide details for it or a valid source.

In regards to your edition. It will be the one that it matches the ISBN cover and other details. If those do not match let us know and we will look into the issue and create your edition.

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 84 comments It's ok I've just seen so many which looked alike and had no idea if they are really valid and you have better possiblilities to check it :-)

message 4: by Empress (last edited Aug 15, 2015 06:15AM) (new)

Empress (the_empress) Agnieszka wrote: "It's ok I've just seen so many which looked alike and had no idea if they are really valid and you have better possiblilities to check it :-)"

It's a valid edition if it has it's own ISBN/ASIN number. Since all these do - they are valid.

As you have the details expanded, (not sure if you can see this) the line after average rating shows the titles source. If that is not a link to a user this is a good sign the book record was imported by a script. Often these will not have all the details.
Example(Title source: goodreads 1; Title source: amazon_sable; etc)

Users and scripts import books quite often (not sure how often though). It is not something that can be overseen or immediately corrected. It's mostly when readers post requests here.

Some requests and tasks can take hours or even days to correct.

If you feel you can help you can apply to be a librarian.

P.S. The only way I personally check is by using the get a copy links to amazon for kindle editions. However ASINs are often country specific and I check only US and UK. Which means a lot of those editions will not give results.

message 5: by Empress (new)

Empress (the_empress) I checked all editions without covers and only one was available on Amazon US. Details updated: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8...

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 84 comments OK, thank you.
I applied. The problem is with the 50 added books. In many cases I wanted to add a book GR didn't let me because the ISBN was already existing and when I checked it I couldn't find it and that kind of stuff. After a while I gave up. The next time I tried I saved and went for the cover and only then realized once you saved you're done and was again so frustrated now I'm giving it another try after I know it won't be easy and I know I'll be frustrated again.

I'll just do my best to provide as many books as I can and in time I'll be able to join.

message 7: by Empress (last edited Aug 15, 2015 06:39AM) (new)

Empress (the_empress) They mean you must have shelved 50 books. (add as to-read)

You can find a book by ISBN if you search by it. In fact when you search for it that should be the only result. If the database is telling you the ISBN is already in the database, no reason to add a duplicate as someone else will have to merge it unless it is a different book or the editions is not identical.

Here is all the info on the above issues: https://www.goodreads.com/help/show/2...
(which is essential for librarians)

here is the full manual: https://www.goodreads.com/help/librarian

if you are approved as a librarian please ask if unsure.

message 8: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13653 comments Ellie [The Empress] wrote: "As you have the details expanded, (not sure if you can see this) the line after average rating shows the titles source."

I vaguely remember from my pre-librarian days that the title source is not visible to non-librarians.

message 9: by Empress (new)

Empress (the_empress) lethe wrote: "I vaguely remember from my pre-librarian days that the title source is not visible to non-librarians. "

I did wonder. Thanks for confirming. :)

message 10: by Agnieszka (last edited Aug 16, 2015 08:18AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 84 comments After my last comment my browser asked for an update and I was stupid enough to let it installed. Now I can't work longer than ten seconds online and had to switch to the iPad mini which is a big pain in the neck if working online. Anyway thank you very much.

And thanks also for the clarification about the 50 books. It was my first thought but than I thought it's too easy :-)

I'll see how it is working with the manual here or have to wait for the next update that fixes the bugs.

message 11: by Empress (new)

Empress (the_empress) Oh, sounds bad.

Anyways I don't think librarians can make any edits through the apps.

And I agree, it's a pretty lousy requirement :)