2015 Reading Challenge [Closed] discussion

The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #1)
This topic is about The Name of the Wind
. Week 41: Magic > The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jean Cole (joc724) | 115 comments One of my favorite things about this challenge is that it "forces" you to read books that you probably never would have considered otherwise. Magic and fantasy are genres that weren't really on my radar but I am happy to have discovered that these tales of magic and demons and sorcerers can be just as entertaining and thought-provoking as any other. The Name of the Wind is well-written with fully developed characters and plenty of twists and turns to keep your attention. I am also happy to say that this book is just the first in a trilogy. Actually , there is a Book #2.5 for some reason. That's OK with me. I am definitely hooked and can't wait to find out what happens next in the story of Kvothe, the title character in The Kingkiller Chronicles.

Peter This is my favourite book ever. I'm very glad you enjoyed it!!

Aside from being well written with interesting characters and events, it's just a damn good story. Patrick Rothfuss is definitely a masterful storyteller. In regards to book 2.5, I believe it will be "The Slow Regard of Silent Things", which is a novella that follows Auri and provides a slightly different perspective on things. It's a quick read, and doesn't add a whole lot to the overall story aside from foreshadowing a few things, but I really enjoyed it.

I hope you enjoy book 2!

Silvia Turcios | 304 comments I read this for a book with more than 500 pages and it was awesome...I hope I can read the second book soon :)

Sophie (sawphie) I absolutely love The Name of the Wind, and am planning to re-read it for the magic week. Actually I'm going on vacation in the end of September and am sure that it will make the 12 hours flight more bearable.

Alina | 63 comments I'm currently listening to this and it is taking me a lifetime (28 total hours only during commutes) to get through! I still have 8 hours left. It's ok but not a whole lot happens in this book. I'm just not seeing the rave reviews everyone is giving it!

message 6: by Peter (last edited Aug 17, 2015 04:12PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Peter For me, it's the writing. It might not come across the same in an audio book as if you were reading it yourself, but just the flow of the writing is so well done. It verges on poetic at times. As far as not a lot happening, there is so much going on (from my perspective), from the frame story and the foreshadowing to something ominous coming and the failures of the protagonist, to the story of his childhood, to his time at the university.

And there is so much character development.

It's a little slower paced for sure though, so it's not everyone's cup of tea. Honestly, the actual plot aside, the thing that gets me with anything Rothfuss has written is the narrative voice; the actual telling of the story is just so well done it blows me away every time. I think he does an extremely good job at foreshadowing, creating tension or unease, and playing on the emotions of the reader just by the words he chooses.

Sophie (sawphie) Peter, you wrote everything I wanted to say, I don't have anything to add. For me it's a book you would appreciate much more reading it than listening to it.

Marina H | 272 comments I haven't read your comments, since I'm reading the book now, and I'm afraid of spoilers!
But I've picked The Name of the Wind for this week as well, and it's not my favorite genre, but I must admit I'm really enjoying the book.
I'll be back, when I'm finished reading it.

Ana A (anabana_a) | 414 comments I love this book! I was actually looking for books to read for 2016, and found this on a lot of top fantasy lists, and I ended up reading it for this year instead.

So I shifted books around, put this in the Magic week and put The Lightning Thief (my original magic book) to Banned week (even if it was just challenged).

I love how in a way there are typical fantasy elements, yet there are also real world problems for the hero, like his problem with money. I think I love everything about this book except Denna. She's so... I don't know. I just don't like her. I hope I'll like her better in the second book.