Support for Indie Authors discussion

Archived Author Help > Making Kindle books permafree on Amazon

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Cunegan (jdcunegan) | 239 comments I'm hoping to release a digital short next week that's a prequel of sorts to Bounty, my debut novel. I want to make it perma-free, but looking at KDP's breakdown, I'm not seeing that option; from what I can tell, it's forcing me to charge something.

I know there's a way around that, I just can't see it. Help!

message 2: by Kat (new)

Kat If I understand it correctly, you first make it free elsewhere, for example smashwords. Then you email support to match the price.

message 3: by Morris (new)

Morris Graham (morris_g) I tried that, doesn't work. They won't match free, if you are distributing with another eBook provider.

Morris

message 4: by Riley, Viking Extraordinaire (new)

Riley Amos Westbrook (sonshinegreene) | 1510 comments Mod
Yep, they quit price matching. I had a book free for a month, but now they are refusing to list it free anymore. Makes me sad, I spent 3 weeks in the top 20 free category 8(

message 5: by David (new)

David Heath (davidheath23) | 7 comments If you have a website, release the short for free via your personal page. Put a link in 'Bounty's desciption for where to get it, and distro yourself. Might not get the same exposure, but it could at least bring people to your site!

message 6: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Cunegan (jdcunegan) | 239 comments David wrote: "If you have a website, release the short for free via your personal page. Put a link in 'Bounty's desciption for where to get it, and distro yourself. Might not get the same exposure, but it could ..."

My own website... yet another one of those things I probably should do but haven't yet because of some combination of lack of time, lack of resources, and honestly not even knowing what to do.

Yaaaay... /sarcasm

message 7: by David (new)

David Heath (davidheath23) | 7 comments J.D. wrote: "David wrote: "If you have a website, release the short for free via your personal page. Put a link in 'Bounty's desciption for where to get it, and distro yourself. Might not get the same exposure,..."

Well, don't give up on it too easy :) Lots of free blogs/sites you can use; I set up an author profile through Goodreads here even which allows you to post a blog; you could do it like that, post the story as a blog update, and just link to it for whoever wants to see.

Keep your head up! Time and resources are always tough for us, but you can endure :)

message 8: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Cunegan (jdcunegan) | 239 comments David wrote: "J.D. wrote: "David wrote: "If you have a website, release the short for free via your personal page. Put a link in 'Bounty's desciption for where to get it, and distro yourself. Might not get the s..."

I'm getting there! :)

If nothing else, I've emailed the people over at KDP to see what they say. If worse comes to worse, I'll just distribute the thing myself; it's basically just another promotional tool for Bounty anyway; the idea being to give this little short for free and entice people to buy the full-length novel after reading the short.

That's the plan, anyway.