Espionage Aficionados discussion

NonFic & Reality > avoid Windows 10

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Feliks, Moderator (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) | 727 comments Mod
Don't upgrade your current Windows O/S to this new edition. It's a disaster for privacy. Microsoft intends to deliberately scrape people's private data to sell to advertisers and marketers. Not just traffic, but the content of any traffic. What websites you visit. Not merely the numbers you dial on your phone, but the content of the conversations. Its all openly stated right there in the contract agreement.

Nooilforpacifists (nooil4pacifists) | 21 comments Damn. I haven't bought a new Wintel Machine in years, hoping they'd straighten out the O/S. Will it never end?

message 3: by Doubledf99.99 (new)

Doubledf99.99 | 123 comments "We live in a world where many kinds of regression dignify themselves with the mantle of progress.”
― Michael Moorcock, Byzantium Endures: Pyat Quartet

message 4: by Nick (new)

Nick | 2 comments A red herring
Just about every Web site you visit knows who you are and many sell the information. They don't need that information because they'really already getting it

message 5: by Feliks, Moderator (last edited Aug 14, 2015 09:46PM) (new)

Eh? No website I visit friggin' knows who I am. Nor you, either. Websites can't get to your ISP to obtain your name or address. That takes a court order. If such information was freely available--through such easy means--there'd be no need for Microsoft to take this drastic commercial step they are undertaking. Nor Facebook, nor Google either. There'd be no gain for them.

message 6: by Feliks, Moderator (new)

The way around this is to start buying bitcoin and purchase a secure VPN connection. That's where I'm headed.

Nooilforpacifists (nooil4pacifists) | 21 comments I've got the Bitcoins--but using them on secure connections? I understand the outrage and the principle but, the older I get, the more I agree with the late William Safire: "If you've done nothing wrong, you've got nothing to hide."