Editors and Writers discussion

Editor wanted on a affordable budget

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by J.M. (new)

J.M. (jmchalker) | 27 comments Hi all I am looking for a editor for my sequel hidden! 67,000 words I can't afford to spend a lot of money on editing. I can do payment plans

My book is para Ya I'll also offer the editor a arc copy of my first novel bound to read so they can see if they be interested in the story.

message 2: by Tom (new)

Tom (tom_shutt) | 13 comments Hi J.M.,

Please consider checking out my website, Main Line Editing, to get an idea of pricing and past projects I've completed.

I can definitely work with you on a payment plan. Paranormal stories are my favorite, so it would be my pleasure to help you with your manuscript.

Message me for a free sample edit, and hopefully I hear from you soon!

message 3: by P.N. (new)

P.N. Elrod (pnelrod) | 88 comments Editors need not be interested in any story to do a good job of editing. The idea is to send a sample to see if you and the editor are a good working fit. There are some things I don't work on because I'm not qualified, like scientific papers and other non-fiction.

The editor also should see a sample from the work at hand. Past works don't matter for the current work at hand, so sending an ARC of something else is of no help to you.

If by "may be interested in the story" you meant the editor might buy it for a publisher, then we're the wrong kind of editors for you. I'm sure I misunderstood the meaning, though, and you just want some editor to see what you can do.

But the ARC is filed under what you've already done.

The current work is all that matters. Unless you're going for a deep content edit where the editor needs to know details of the previous book to root out continuity errors, past works are irrelevant.

Most editors here will want a sample of the current job, I like to see 500 words and can judge whether it will be a Level One basic copy-edit, proofing or a Level 2 Edit, which means a lot more work, along with commentary and light rewriting with the author's permission.

For my experience--a professional in the industry for 20+ years with real books in the stores--I charge rock bottom prices of 1 to 2 cents a word.

You will certainly find lower cost editors here and get hit with a snowstorm of much lower rates. I can't compete with them on price, but for solid experience and names you've heard of...you can see for yourself:

http://www.vampwriter.com/VAMPWRITER_...

message 4: by Michael (last edited Aug 13, 2015 04:31PM) (new)

Michael Worthington | 2 comments My wife and I would like to help you with your editing and proofreading needs. I am a retired college instructor, and she is a retired educator and librarian with 35 years of experience in the educational field.

Rates
.004 per word per review; $4.00 per 1000 words; No minimum
Half price special until August 31, 2015

Client comments: http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topi...

Contact Information: flworthi@gmail.com

message 5: by J.M. (new)

J.M. Rankin (jmrankin) | 64 comments Hi J.M

I am a fully qualified copy editor and proofreader, having over seven years experience, working with both publishers and authors alike on a variety of genres. One publisher I currently work for sends me a lot of YA paranormal novels so I am very familiar with this genre. I am also a published author myself and so also understand from this side how important an in-depth edit is.

I am always happy to provide references and my professional CV where required. I have worked with authors on Goodreads who I am sure would be happy to provide a reference for you, as well as the publishers I work for.

I always offer to edit the first 1000 words for free. This allows you to see how I work with a manuscript, and also helps me assess the level of editing needed. When working on a manuscript I always work using Track Changes so that you can see any amendments I have made. I will never try and change the voice of the novel, and will only make changes in terms of spelling, grammar and punctuation. Where I feel attention is needed, in terms of plot, characterisation etc, I will simply leave comments throughout so that you can see my suggestions, but are also able to see how they would correspond to your novel - this is your novel after all, not mine!

I appreciate that you are looking for a low fee. If you let me know your budget I will see what I can do in relation to costs to suit you. I am happy to accept payment plans (I usually work this way with authors directly anyway) so this is an option also.
I invoice via Paypal so all transactions are completely secure.

I hope this information is helpful, and I am happy to discuss any of this with you. As mentioned if you let me know your budget I can try and arrange something that will meet your requirements. I don't want to quote you and have it be too high!

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask.

You can contact me via Goodreads, via my direct email whitediamondedits[at]gmail.com, or through my website www.whitediamondedits.wordpress.com

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes

Jacqui

message 6: by Karlie (new)

Karlie DeMarse | 14 comments J.M.,

What kind of editing are you looking for? Substantive, line, or copy? You can take a look at my site http://demarseediting.tumblr.com for a quick explanation of my services and rates.

Most authors are looking for a line edit. For all new incoming authors I offer a very competitive rate. I want to develop long term relationships with my authors.

New author with a series: $0.0024 per word ($24 per 10,000 words)

Thanks,
Karlie

message 7: by Karlie (new)

Karlie DeMarse | 14 comments PS, I supply a free 2,500 word sample. You can send any portion of your manuscript to drdemarse@gmail.com

message 8: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Hartigan (xterraweb) | 27 comments Hello, J.M.,

I provide an affordable, professional editing service. All authors receive a free sample edit of 2,000 words, which is used to determine the editing rate and give you a hands-on example of my work.

My rates are $1.20 - $2.00 per page (250 words = one page, per publishing industry standards).

I believe editing is about enhancing and polishing your work while ensuring your voice is maintained. I'm happy to answer any questions you might have about the editing process. I hope you might consider me when you are in the process of selecting an editor that is a good fit for you and your book.

*Note* All military service members (past and present) and their immediate family members receive a 10% discount on editing services.

To learn more about me and my editing services, as well as view past projects and reviews/testimonials from authors I have worked with, please visit my website at editing.xterraweb.com.

If you have any questions, you may message me here on Goodreads or via e-mail at editor@xterraweb.com.

You can also find me on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/XterraWeb.

message 9: by Laura (new)

Laura Barone (laurahicks) | 19 comments Hello JM,

I am currently looking to break into the freelance world as an editor and proofreader. I have experience, but not in freelance, so my contacts are limited. Right now, I am more interested in getting feedback, reviews, and experience than monetary pay. I am incredibly detail oriented and efficient. The last manuscript I proofed had a turn around time of three days, and it was about 90,000 words. Here is a testimonial from that author:

"Working with Laura Hicks was an absolute pleasure. My work had been previously edited, but in my gut I felt that I needed a new set of eyes. I can easily say that I made the right decision in hiring her. Her turnaround time is fantastic. Laura was prompt, friendly, thorough, and caught mistakes everyone else had missed. Her comments were helpful, and she even took the time to offer useful tips. I feel so confident in moving forward with my project. I plan to work with her again, and I would recommend her services to anyone without hesitation."

If you'd like to talk about possibly working together, please feel free to email me at laura.hicks10@gmail.com.

Look forward to speaking with you,
Laura

message 10: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Albright (stephaniealbrightshivers) | 55 comments I charge $2 per 400 words. Please check out my thread StephanieEdits, LLC for references.

If you are interested send a sample chapter to sashivers28214@gmail.com.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Hello!

I'm an editor and reader for the StoneField Editing group, with several years experience as a freelance editor and writer. Currently my rate is $0.50 per 300 words, email me at dylan@stonefieldediting.com if you're interested

message 12: by Emily (new)

Emily (worldsokayestcatmom) | 17 comments Hi!

I have a Facebook page that explains my rates and has a few reviews! I will do a sample of up to 5 pages at no charge to you, and you can email me for more information as well.

Facebook page: www.facebook.com/freelancebookwormedi...
Email: freelancebookwormediting@yahoo.com

Thanks!
Emily

message 13: by Carol (new)

Carol Tietsworth | 194 comments J.M. I am an established copy-editor and proofreader. I will do the first 500 words for a free sample, then it will be .006/word for the rest, a total of $399. I normally ask for half up front and the remainder when I finish. I could start for $150.00 if you could make monthly payments of at least $50.00 until it was paid off. legal2b@yahoo.com

message 14: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Frail (nicolefrail17) | 9 comments Hi J.M.,

Sounds like you have a lot of options but thought I'd throw my hat in the ring, too! I've edited more than 100 books for my current employer (an independent publishing company in NYC), and those do include YA titles. Feel free to check out my site and services: nicolefrail.com. Or send me an email at nicolefrailedits@gmail.com for a quote.

Nicole

message 15: by William (new)

William Donnelly | 10 comments Good luck with your novel.

When you are ready, check out my editing services here:

http://www.donnelly-house.net/proofed...

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

My, oh my! A plethora of potentialities. Here's mine too.

Since last March I've helped more than two dozen Goodreads authors polish up their manuscripts, everything from novels to kid's books to an e-book sex manual, and some self-help books too. My prices are reasonable and my turnaround is good. If you're interested in careful editing that respects your voice, please visit my website...

http://its-your-story.weebly.com