Shut Up & Read discussion

The Ask and the Answer (Chaos Walking, #2)
This topic is about The Ask and the Answer
Archives- Buddy Reads > The Ask and the Answer by Patrick Ness

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leigh | 15884 comments Mod
Join us. We will start reading tomorrow.

message 2: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (last edited Aug 15, 2015 11:57AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Just started? Love Manchee!

message 3: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sheri | 12305 comments Mod
Only a couple of chapters in and there's so much, lol...

The grammar is going to drive me nuts until I get used to it. Most of his words I can understand, even when they are spelled how they sound...but what is horrorpilashuns????? (pg 25)

The world/setting is interesting...at one point he says "twelve years of thirteen long months each." That's different.

message 4: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leigh wrote: "Just started? Love Manchi!"

Oh my goodness, being able to hear your dog would be priceless! I'm always wondering what mine is thinking, lol (or the cats)!

message 5: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sheri wrote: "Only a couple of chapters in and there's so much, lol...

The grammar is going to drive me nuts until I get used to it. Most of his words I can understand, even when they are spelled how they soun..."

I'm listening to it, but I know what you mean. The language is interesting. I incessant noise what make me crazy too.

message 6: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sheri wrote: "Leigh wrote: "Just started? Love Manchi!"

Oh my goodness, being able to hear your dog would be priceless! I'm always wondering what mine is thinking, lol (or the cats)!"

I'm sure it would be quite interesting to hear what cats are thinking.

message 7: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Aaron is crazy! (view spoiler)

message 8: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'm wondering where the girl came from. (view spoiler)

message 9: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 5 stars

I'm assuming she is from Earth.

message 10: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 4 stars

This is getting interesting. What is really going on in Prentisstown? And why do the men want Todd?

message 11: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 5 stars

I know right. They wanted him bad.

message 12: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 5 stars

What is the real reason there are no women in Prentisstown? Where did the women go?

message 13: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 5 stars

The Mayor of Prentisstown is all about power and control. What is so special about Todd?

message 14: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 4 stars

I like the way the author describes sounds using Todd's voice and limited vocabulary/knowledge.

Like how stars might sound. Or moons. But not mountains. Too floaty for mountains. Its a sound like one planet singing to another, high and stretched and full of different voices starting at different notes and sloping down to other different notes but all weaving together in a rope of sound that's sad but not sad and slow but not slow and all singing one word.

message 15: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 5 stars

It is interesting. I like the contrast of the noise that the men have compared to the quiet/silence the women have.

Todd finds Viola's quiet soothing. I would too if all I heard was noise.

message 16: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (last edited Aug 18, 2015 06:10AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

WTH! Why did Todd kill the Spakle but couldn't kill Aaron? Aaron was/is more of a threat. There is a lot that we/Todd don't know. What really is going on?

message 17: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Holy Crap! It didn't just end like that!

Where are you Sheri?

message 18: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leigh wrote: "WTH! Why did Todd kill the Spakle but couldn't kill Aaron? Aaron was/is more of a threat. There is a lot that we/Todd don't know. What really is going on?"

I know, I was wondering the same thing. I mean he was told all his life the Spackle were bad...but still it seemed too violent for him.

I'm around 70%...possibly finishing tonight??

message 19: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 5 stars

More shockers to come, Sheri.

message 20: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 4 stars

Haha, looking forward to it. Based on what David was saying in the BotM thread, we're going to need to read the rest of the trilogy :)

message 21: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sheri wrote: "Haha, looking forward to it. Based on what David was saying in the BotM thread, we're going to need to read the rest of the trilogy :)"

I'm up for that.

message 22: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lol, that ending :) I loved this book. It did take a while to get into the language. Did the narrator use an accent and a lot of slang?

Poor Manchee, I loved him :(

message 23: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 4 stars

I can get the next two from the library. Just let me know when you want to start.

message 24: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sheri wrote: "Lol, that ending :) I loved this book. It did take a while to get into the language. Did the narrator use an accent and a lot of slang?

Poor Manchee, I loved him :("

I was so sad about Manchee! That ending was a killer! I need to get my hands on the next two audios. Do you want to start the next one Thursday 27th?

message 25: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leigh wrote: "Do you want to start the next one Thursday 27th?"

Sounds good :)

message 26: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Are we still starting today?

message 27: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 4 stars

Oh, I forgot about it! Yep, we can still start today. I just downloaded it. I'll be reading this one, too, so I'll probably get behind you...hopefully not too far since I'll have time to read this weekend :)

message 28: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cool. I will start it today.

message 29: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 5 stars

What makes the Mayor so powerful? Why is he able to control everyone? Why do they still want Todd? Why did the Mayor need Todd to tell him Viola's name?

message 30: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 5 stars

The Mayor must have some mind control ability. He is definitely a good a manipulating people to do his bidding. He has a plan for Todd.

message 31: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 5 stars

There are so many conspiracies going on.

message 32: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Davy is such an Evil Bastard!

message 33: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leigh wrote: "The Mayor must have some mind control ability. He is definitely a good a manipulating people to do his bidding. He has a plan for Todd."

there's got to be something going on with the mayor/president. I wonder if the people are easier to control off the cure.

message 34: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leigh wrote: "There are so many conspiracies going on."

I know! And without being able to hear thoughts it's hard to know who to trust.

message 35: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (last edited Aug 31, 2015 07:40AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sheri wrote: "Leigh wrote: "The Mayor must have some mind control ability. He is definitely a good a manipulating people to do his bidding. He has a plan for Todd."

there's got to be something going on with the..."

I was thinking the same thing. He can also use his mind as a weapon. It's cool in a demented way. I can't help comparing him to dictators in history. He has charisma, highly intelligent, strong willed, good tactically, and most of all willing to use others to get what he wants. I guess the same could be said for a serial killer.

message 36: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 5 stars

War makes monsters and monsters make war.

Who is the better side? The Ask or The Answer

They both have done things that are terrible, but The Ask is really cruel. They enjoy torturing people.

message 37: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Wow! Davy is showing some sensitivity.

message 38: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 5 stars

I didn't think I would ever say Poor Davy. Did he really have a chance to be a better person when his dad was constantly saying he was nothing?

Mayor/President really needs to die already.

message 39: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Holy Crap! Just finished it! Talk about twist and turns!

message 40: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 4 stars

I need to catch up! I think I'm around 25%. The women all disappeared!

message 41: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sheri wrote: "I need to catch up! I think I'm around 25%. The women all disappeared!"

Yes, there is so much going on...the discrimination/distrust of women and Spakle. In both cases the men can't hear them so therefore they distrust them.

message 42: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'll hopefully be finishing this tonight!

We can start the other one whenever. Next week?

message 43: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Next week will be good for me.

message 44: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 5 stars

While I like Todd, I think Viola is the stronger character.

message 45: by Sheri, Bookworm (last edited Sep 08, 2015 04:57PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

I finished this a couple of days ago but haven't had a chance to comment here yet...

So this author obviously loves cliffhangers. I guess he knows what it takes to make you want to keep reading, lol.

The mayor/president is definitely crazy. He needs to go. (view spoiler) And now here come the Spackle.

I agree with you...poor Davy. He never knew who to trust and always chose wrong. Though...the mayor does have some crazy hypnotic stuff going on.

I think both the Ask and the Answer are doing things wrong. Though, I think a lot of what the Answer is being blamed for the Ask actually did???

message 46: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Totally agree about Todd. He should have sucked it up and did what needed to be done. That's why I thought Viola was the stronger character, she did what needed to be done.

The answer got blamed for a lot that the Ask/mayor did. The Spackle are a prime example.

Cliffhangers are a killer!

message 47: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 4 stars

I don't like the alternating viewpoints between Todd and viola. I like how the first book was just Todd. And now throwing the Spackle in there… It's confusing, lol. They have different words for everything. I figured I knew who was talking right away, but you don't always know what it is he's talking about.

message 48: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 5 stars

I wasn't necessarily a fan of that either but I guess the author did it so we could have both Viola's and Todd's story. Since they were separated, we were able to learn what happened to Viola through her own voice.