The Call of the Wild The Call of the Wild discussion

Why does the writing seem simple?

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Bodhi I can't quite put my finger on it, but it is bugging me a bit. The words are not that simple, and the themes, surely not. So I'm guessing maybe it has to do with the sentence structure or the pacing or how things are all explained and written out.

I did read it in school when I wasnt so old…
Did London aim for a younger audience?
What say you?

message 2: by Ron (last edited Aug 14, 2015 06:04AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ron Hi Bodhi. Call of the Wild is one of my favorites, and one of the earliest books I picked up on my own as a kid. It's been a long time, so I'd have to read it again to see the writing style. I'd guess that London was thinking of the young readers as well as adults when he wrote this book. Plus, the fact that much of it is from a dog's point of view. One thing for sure, it's a book that has stood the test of time.

Dramapuppy Bodhi wrote: "I can't quite put my finger on it, but it is bugging me a bit. The words are not that simple, and the themes, surely not. So I'm guessing maybe it has to do with the sentence structure or the pacin..."

I haven't read this book in years, but I figure it has something to do with the POV, like Ron said. Dogs, (at least in the author's opinion), see the world simply. Maybe not quite black and white, but without long soliloquies of thought. The descriptions are a dog would notice are less pretentious or "beautiful" than things a human would notice.