Time to Shine Reading discussion

Summer 2015 Reading Progress > Abbie's Summer Reading 2015

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jude (new)

Jude (gowebsgo) | 75 comments Mod
Topic for Abbie to track her reading progress. Good luck!

message 2: by Abbie (new)

Abbie | 9 comments Books I have read so far this summer (not to count toward challenge);
- City of Bones by Cassandra Clare
- City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare
- City of Glass by Cassandra Clare
- City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra Clare
- City of Lost Souls by Cassandra Clare

Finally decided to give Cassandra Clare a try as I have had City of Bones on my shelf for years. Fell in love with the storyline, the characters and the way I found myself looking at reality and seeing how the 'Shadowhunter' and 'Downworlder' worlds could fit into it.

Books I am going to read/re-read for the challenge;
1 - City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra Clare
2 - Divergent by Veronica Roth
3 - Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare
4 - The Iron Ghost by Jen Williams
5 - Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton
6 - The Lost World by Michael Crichton
7 - The Gospel of Loki by Joanne M. Harris

I have read Jurassic Park and The Lost World before however with a very keen interest in animal evolution, biology and genetics I love to re-read them and never get bored.

message 3: by Abbie (new)

Abbie | 9 comments City of Heavenly Fire (The Mortal Instruments, #6) by Cassandra Clare

Opening line;
'On the day Emma Carstair's parents were killed, the weather was perfect.'

I have just started reading City of Heavenly Fire. I am currently on Page 29. Have not even started the first chapter but it is already gripping and thrilling.

message 4: by Zoë (new)

Zoë | 85 comments Hi Abbie I have read all the Mortal Instruments and Infernal Devices and loved them as well! I just wanted to tell you that some of the things that happen at the end of City of Heavenly Fire link to the Infernal Devices and so you might not understand them untill you have read Clockwork Princess but I don't think it would stop City of Heavenly Fire an enjoyable read! :)

message 5: by Abbie (new)

Abbie | 9 comments Hey Zoë, I was a bit worried that would be the case! I started The Mortal Instruments before I even realised The Infernal Devices were the prequel. (Typical!) I'll try and get to The Clockwork Princess as soon as I can so it'll all click into place ;)

message 6: by Zoë (new)

Zoë | 85 comments Yeah in my opinion I would think that it's better to read the Infernal Devices first but the main one it links to is City of Heavenly Fire so you won't find it that bad it's just the ending will make more sense once you've read the Infernal Devices!

message 7: by Abbie (new)

Abbie | 9 comments It's been a really busy few days but I have finally finished City of Heavenly Fire. I felt it was a fantastic end to the series. Obviously we always have our own opinions on how stories should conclude, which characters get to be happy and who doesn't, how the loose ends should be tied up etc. I feel this time, without giving anything away, there was a perfect balance of heartbreak and 'happily ever after'.

I felt that Cassie Clare spent a bit more time focussing on the emotions, personalities and opinions of characters she hadn't overly expanded on before, especially Magnus, Robert, Maryse and to an extent, even Alec.

Zoë was absolutely right about the book causing a lot of unanswered questions and I'm so excited about reading The Infernal Devices series to tie up some of those loose end and learn more about certain characters (and cats). However, I'm going to mix up the order of my list and crack on with Jurassic Park in the morning. Hopefully that will build suspense before starting The Clockwork Angel and it gives me a bit more time to get my hands on the rest of trilogy ;)

message 8: by Abbie (new)

Abbie | 9 comments Divergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica Roth

Opening Line;
'There is only one mirror in my house.'

I started Divergent yesterday and finished it this morning. It's a book I've been meaning to read for ages (and I put off watching the movie until now!).

Overall I was really impressed with it. At first I felt it was very similar to other books of this time; the division of the city into factions reminded me strongly of The Hunger Games and the presence of a strong female lead is currently all the rage. However, in the end, I found the story line very gripping, the characters extremely interesting and somewhat unpredictable. I also adore the way Veronica Roth wrote the storyline and portrayed the characters in such a unique way.

Rated 5 stars.

message 9: by Abbie (new)

Abbie | 9 comments Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton

Opening Line;

'The late twentieth century has witnessed a scientific gold rush of astonishing proportions: the headlong and furious haste to commercialize genetic engineering'

I have started reading Jurassic Park again. I am currently on page 311 and will finish it shortly.

Absolutely fantastic book, highly entertaining, educational and factual.

Already rated 5 stars.

message 10: by Abbie (new)

Abbie | 9 comments The Lost World (Jurassic Park, #2) by Michael Crichton

Opening Line;

"The late twentieth century has witnessed a remarkable growth in scientific interest in the subject of extinction."

I have finished reading The Lost World by Michael Crichton and I thoroughly enjoyed it all over again. It is 100% as good as Jurassic Park and in some ways slightly better.

Rated 5 stars.

message 11: by Abbie (new)

Abbie | 9 comments I changed up the books I am reading for this challenge a little bit, mainly due to the fact I am highly indecisive.

I have now read;

The Magic of Reality How We Know What's Really True by Richard Dawkins

Opening Line;

"Reality is everything that exists."

I've been a massive fan of Richard Dawkins for a while, he writes his books in a very eloquent manner and they are very educational. And it always makes a nice change to read something non-fictional.

I am currently just reaching the end of;

The Colour of Magic (Discworld, #1) by Terry Pratchett

and I have started reading;

Hodd by Adam Thorpe

More updates coming soon :)

message 12: by Abbie (new)

Abbie | 9 comments I have finished my 7 books!

I gave The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett 3 stars, I've never been able to really get into Terry Pratchett novels and find them a little tricky to read.

Hodd only received 2 stars. I did not find it massively exciting or gripping and was disappointed.

message 13: by Jude (new)

Jude (gowebsgo) | 75 comments Mod
Great work, Abbie! Now to move on to Autumn Reading ;)