What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Ice Station (Shane Schofield, #1)
This topic is about Ice Station
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Thriller from the 1990s with snowmobile chase scene [s]

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jon (last edited Aug 17, 2015 08:41AM) (new)

Jon Black | 5 comments Thriller with snowmobile or snowcat chase scene(I seem to remember the hero jumping from one snowmobile to another). Setting in Alaska or Arctic. Book came out in the 1990s. There may have been a nuclear weapon in play. The hero could have been a spy or U.S. federal agent. There may have been a scene where the hero had to use scuba gear to get from one place to another in an icy cavern. This was one of the fastest paced books I ever read - there was no putting it down. Any help would be greatly appreciated, because I would like to find the book and read it again. Thanks.

message 2: by El (last edited Aug 12, 2015 04:13PM) (new)

El | 502 comments Do you think it could have been a James Bond book? Maybe one written by John Gardner (who was writing the Bond books through most of the 90s) or Raymond Benson (who picked up writing the Bond books in the late 90s when Gardner retired)? Those details all seem very Bond-like.

message 3: by Jon (new)

Jon Black | 5 comments Thanks, El. No, James Bond wasn’t in this one.

message 4: by Ingo (last edited Aug 14, 2015 03:21AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ingo (ilembcke) | 602 comments It has been a while, so I cannot say for sure, such scenes are in the books I read, but some suggestions, although both came out later, if the Goodreads dates are correct (if way earlier than 1990 is possible I would suggest Alistair McLean or Colin Forbes).

Something from James Rollins, like Ice Hunt (2003) ?
Or from Lincol Child: Terminal Freeze (2008) .
Probably not, given the publishing dates.
But maybe this gives you a pointer in the right direction.

So, I Read This Book Today (leiahingolden) | 69 comments I was going to say James Rollins Ice Hunt by James Rollins as well Ingo. I remember that scene!

message 6: by Jon (new)

Jon Black | 5 comments Thanks Ingo and So, I Read This Book Today. The descriptions given for Ice Hunt and Terminal Freeze don't ring any bells, but I am going to check them out just in case. Will get back on the outcome. Once again, thanks for your help.

So, I Read This Book Today (leiahingolden) | 69 comments Good Luck, John. The thing I like about ebooks? You can search them easily! I have paper copies of Ice Hunt and Terminal Freeze. . . forget quick searches!

message 8: by Jon (new)

Jon Black | 5 comments SOLVED
Thanks everyone for your help. Ice Hunt got me started in the right direction as far as the title went and I ran across a description of Ice Station by Matthew J. Reilly. It sounded sort of like what I remembered, after all, it was 15 years ago that I first read it. Luckily, my library has a copy. Just finished reading it again. Couldn't put it down, again. Great read.

So, I Read This Book Today (leiahingolden) | 69 comments AH!!!! YES! I should have thought of that, so sorry I didn't. I have Ice Station, but for some reason it didn't come to mind... sigh. And I will have to re-read Reilly again, I have all his works!
Best,
Leiah

message 10: by Jon (new)

Jon Black | 5 comments So, I Read This Book Today wrote: "AH!!!! YES! I should have thought of that, so sorry I didn't. I have Ice Station, but for some reason it didn't come to mind... sigh. And I will have to re-read Reilly again, I have all his works!..." Hope you enjoy re-reading it as much as I did.

message 11: by Ingo (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ingo (ilembcke) | 602 comments Just checked why I have not mentioned Ice Station, the ebook is not as old, did not realize it was published way earlier. Yes, great book.