DumbleDORKS discussion

Harry Potter > What to read after HP

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dan (new)

Dan (danlewis) Hey everyone! I'm new to Goodreads and to this group. One thing I'm certainly not new to is the HP series. I've read the books more times than anyone would deem sane. Now I'm trying to branch out and find some similar work. Perhaps something more mature but still incorporating a magical element. Most recently, I read The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern and The Magicians series by Lev Grossman. I loved them! Anyone have any other suggestions for a 20-something HP lover who wants something a bit more mature?
Thanks everyone!

message 2: by Helena (new)

Helena Aeberli (thekindlyones) The Rithmatist by Brandon Sanderson. It's got some very HP elements and I'd totally recommend it!

message 3: by Just (new)

Just Chris (justchris934) | 2 comments There are a lot of books concerning the Arthurian Legend, and Merlin that you could check out. I was also recently introduced to the Mercy Thompson series. That series is going to be 11 books, and its based on our own world, but where witches, wizards, werewolves, vampires, etc live secretly in the world much like wizards to in Harry Potter. They don't go off to a secluded area like Hogwarts, but instead are everywhere around you. For example, Mercy Thompson, who is a fae, is a mechanic, and services vehicles for humans all of the time, unbeknownst to them.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

The Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini!!!! If you've read Harry Potter you must read the Inheritance Cycle. The first book is called Eragon.

message 5: by Katherine (new)

Katherine (kitsilver) | 5 comments Yes! Inheritance forevs! Also 39 clues, Percy Jackson, and Seven Wonders if you're under 14 or 15, and Hunger Games, Lord of the Rings, and Divergent if you're over 13 or 14.

message 6: by Nina (new)

Nina (nainafainant) | 27 comments Carry On By: Rainbow Rowell

message 7: by Raiann (new)

Raiann (foxpresident24) | 1 comments Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman and Inkheart by Corneila Funke. I know there are other ones but this all I can think of off the top of my head.

message 8: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 2 comments It's not exactly Harry Potter style, but Song of Ice and Fire is amazing (and has dragons), and the Pendragon novels are fun. I recommend both!

message 9: by Apryl (new)

Apryl | 259 comments The lunar chronicles!!!

message 10: by Lily (new)

Lily (lilygracef) | 2 comments Ink heart by Cornelia Funke, The Luna Chronicles by Marisa Meyer and Game of Thrones

message 11: by Gabby (new)

Gabby | 1 comments I can relate to this post so much! I actually just reread the Harry Potter series because I was in a reading slump. But other book series I've enjoyed that are similar are The Hunger Games, Divergent, The Mortal Instruments, and I'm currently reading the Game of Thrones series (huge fan of the show). Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit are very similar to HP as well, I haven't read them but plan to! Good luck

message 12: by becca (new)

becca | 4 comments Ink heart
Divergent
Hunger Games
Hobbit and Lord of the Rings
Red Queen
Mortal Instruments

message 13: by Andie (new)

Andie N (andie-n) | 195 comments Guys after you read Harry Potter, you need to have a Harry Potter movie marathon. Then you can critisize all of the mistakes and you will be happy again!

message 14: by tree (new)

tree (bookish_fantasies) | 108 comments The Young Elites
The Witch and the Wizard
Red Queen
Heartless
Legend
An Ember in the Ashes

message 15: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 4 comments I loved the Harry Potter series and struggled so find something else, I loved the Night Circus too. You should try The Black Magician Trilogy which is similar to HP in that it is based on a school and learning magic but is much darker and adult. Also The Name of the Wind and the Wisemans Fear are both very good too.

message 16: by Autumn (new)

Autumn Johnston (autumnjewelj) | 9 comments Lunar Chronicles even for boys Throne is hilarious 😂

message 17: by bookishlife23 (new)

bookishlife23 | 389 comments I agree the series is awesome

message 18: by Anna (new)

Anna Maria | 8 comments If you like Harry Potter I think you'll like the Hunger games, twilight and City of bones but it's up to you. I know I like them.