Gothicked (Gothic Novel Lovers) discussion

General > What is everyone reading/next on the TBR list this week? (august 12)

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Roxanne (new)

Roxanne | 4 comments I just finished "Darwich Castle" by Bettina Kingsley. Also finished "Romance of the Demon" by Malyn.

message 2: by Antony (new)

Antony Stanton (antonyjstanton) | 6 comments Well, am I allowed to suggest my own book, or is that a little cheeky? If too cheeky, then huge apologies and ignore all after...
Otherwise, I have written and JUST published today on Amazon my first ever book, first in a gothic horror trilogy.
Once Bitten, Twice Die (The Blood of the Infected Book 1) by Antony Stanton
http://www.oncebittentwice.com
Once Bitten, Twice Die

I'll say no more, other than as yet it is unread by anyone on the planet apart from myself and the chap from the London Evening Standard, so if you want to be there at the very start...

message 3: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie Seiwell | 5 comments I recently finished Miriam Lynch's The Witch's Song, which I am glad I got free at the Book Thing because it completely fell apart while I was reading it.

I finished Mallory Grange by Christine Randell this morning. Right now I'm reading The Dark Kiss by Eve Silver. I thought I'd read something newer but that has been on my shelf for awhile instead of simply pulling older Gothics out of the box I got the other week.

message 4: by Renee (new)

Renee Ross (reneeross) | 84 comments I just started The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters. Exceptional writing! Creepy gothic atmosphere. The story pulled me in right away. Really glad I decided to try something by this author.

message 5: by Claire (new)

Claire Gem Barbara Michaels is one of my all-time favorites. I loved her BURY ME IN THE RAIN.

I just started a Linda Howard that's got a paranormal twist: her heroine is psychic. It's called DREAM MAN. Got may attention so far!

message 6: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie Seiwell | 5 comments Almost finished the Meadows of Tallon by Estelle Thompson. It was pretty disappointing for most of the book. I've never read so much about what the detectives think in a Gothic.

I lost that book for a day or so and started another, so I'm almost halfway through The House of Many Doors by Dorothy Daniels.

message 7: by Amy (new)

Amy Reade (amyreade) | 5 comments I'm actually trying to read three books right now, but one of them is "White Nights" by Ann Cleeves. The other two aren't gothics. Looking forward to reading Mary Miley's new book, "Stolen Memories," as soon as possible!

message 8: by Antony (new)

Antony Stanton (antonyjstanton) | 6 comments Just finished reading "Beauty of the Beast" by Viktoria Faust. Kinda like a Transylvanian 'Interview with the Vampire', really good and ideal for anyone who loves vampires, (or indeed would like to be one...)

message 9: by Cecilia (new)

Cecilia (13thmoon) Yesterday I finished Affinity by Sarah Waters and now have plans to read more of her work. Good stuff! I've now started The Bat by Mary Roberts Rinehart.

message 10: by Antony (new)

Antony Stanton (antonyjstanton) | 6 comments Am currently half way through "Station Eleven"... Not quite what I expected, but I am really enjoying it so far...

message 11: by Renee (new)

Renee Ross (reneeross) | 84 comments I'm just coming to the end of The Little Stranger and feel the same as Cecilia about discovering Sarah Waters. I also plan to read more of her work. I am also about halfway through an old gothic romance paperback from 1971 by Miriam Lynch called, The Witches of Windlake.

message 12: by Amy (new)

Amy Reade (amyreade) | 5 comments You all have me very intrigued about Sarah Waters. I must go check out her books. Thanks for the info!

message 13: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 9 comments I am so excited to find other people who read these books. I just started Claire by Dorothea Malm. Has anyone read her books? It looks good, but I'll let you know after I finish it. Back cover synopsis is about a penniless girl who is hired as a governess and eventually thrown into the streets and becomes a mistress for powerful men. Years later, she goes back to the same place she had worked as governess to punish the man responsible...I'll let you know...

message 14: by Renee (new)

Renee Ross (reneeross) | 84 comments I finished The Little Stranger and immediately started reading Fingersmith, which I am about half done with. They are equally well written, but I enjoyed The Little Stranger a bit more. I am also three chapters into, The Curse of Black Charlie, the first book in The Stewarts of Stormhaven series by Marilyn Ross.

message 15: by Claire (new)

Claire Gem I just completed listening to the audiobook version of Ghost Gifts by Laura Spinella. It got off to a slow start, but accelerated into a extremely well-written, very suspenseful tale. Ghost Gifts

I am now reading Hospital Hill by Katherine Anderson. I met this local author at a Writer's Day Seminar yesterday, and was quite fascinated by her interest and knowledge about old mental asylums, and the history of mental health care. Since my current work-in-progress takes place in an abandoned asylum, I'm looking forward to inspiration from Anderson's book!Hospital Hill