A Song of Ice and Fire - A Chapter a day discussion

A Game of Thrones > 08/11/15 - Chapter 15: Sansa I

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dani, Stormborn, the Unburnt, Khaleesi and queen (new)

Dani (cheapregrets) | 57 comments Mod

message 2: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Kalb | 310 comments 1. Even Sansa, who is the least Stark-like, loves her direwolf. And it's said of Sansa: "...when it comes to that creature you're as willful as your sister Arya."

2. I forgot they were staying at an inn, somewhere on the banks of the Trident.

3. And I completely forgot about Arya talking about Rhaegar's rubies in the ford to Sansa here. Hadn't realized they were briefly discussing it. I always assume these two never talk to each other if they can help it. Also surprised how Arya sounds like she hates Rhaegar. Then again, I suppose she would, wouldn't she? His family murdered her grandfather and uncle, and Rhaegar himself "stole" Lyanna who later died. She has no love for the Targaryens, and she's caught up in the grand stories of how the king killed the "evil" Targaryen prince, scattering his rubies all over the Trident.

4. I love how Arya mentions the 36 different kinds of flowers she'd never seen before to her sister, explaining how nature can be fascinating. But all Sansa cares about is royalty.

5. Also love how Arya got all muddy getting the flowers for her father, and how Ned hugged her and never tried to make her be a lady. :) And when it gave her rashes she laughed about it and put more mud on. :)

6. "Arya would make friends with anybody." Really? She doesn't come across as genial as that to me. But she is really cute. I was a tomboy at that age, myself.

7. It's interesting how Arya has a hard time controlling Nymeria. Same personalities, I guess. Both are wild and cannot be tamed. And gutsy. She's not afraid to admit she doesn't like the queen.

8. Seems like Lady is the only thing keeping Sansa tied to her Stark heritage.

9. Even in Sansa's chapter she speaks of Jon...weird. I didn't think he mattered at all to her. He just seems like such a keystone character in the book so far, to be able to matter in almost every chapter, whether he's there or not.

10. Love the part where Sansa asked their mom if Arya wasn't a bastard like Jon, and Catelyn laughed and said they are in fact trueborn sisters.

11. Hadn't realized how much the Hound laughs in the book.

12. Interesting how Lady growled at Ilyn Payne, *SPOILER FOR UPCOMING CHAPTERS IN A GAME OF THRONES* (view spoiler) And how she is uneasy with the Hound, but isn't so frightened of him as much as she is with Payne.

13. I forgot Ser Barriston was there with them, outside of King's Landing so early on in the book. He is Lord Commander of the Kingsguard at this point, though, so I suppose it makes sense he'd make sure they arrive safely home.

14. Wonder why Renly wears dark green armor when the Baratheon colors are black on gold. He is only 20 here, Lord of Storm's End already.

15. It's amazing how polite Joffrey can be when he wants to be. *SPOILER FOR LATER CHAPTERS IN A GAME OF THRONES* (view spoiler)

16. "Oh I love riding," Sansa said.

Psh, you do not. You hate how it hurts your butt. What a suck-up.

17. Almost a man grown, at 12? Arrogant prick. Her two older brothers are almost men grown...by age AND maturity level.

18. "The sound of steel on leather made her tremble." Why? Joffrey's supposed to be protecting her.

19. Joffrey's clearly being a bully here yet Arya shows no fear, not even to a prince. And Arya DID strike Joffrey first, I'd forgotten that, though he did cut Mycah for no reason other than to be a bully. She even drew blood on his head. Joffrey swings a real sword at Arya, which I think is truly unfair, and keeps swearing and missing -- which shows his true colors, and immaturity -- but Arya is quick and wild so I guess it evens out the fight.

20. Love how Arya comes back with: "She didn't hurt you... much." Mocking him earlier. And how she flung his sword into the river. I just love Arya!

21. Crazy how Sansa could see that "there was nothing but loathing there, nothing but the vilest contempt." Definitely signs of a sociopath.

message 3: by Clara (new)

Clara Sansa is not one of my favourites at all, but I think she is overly criticized, specially in this book. She is a girl, and very different from Arya. She is a lady, and pretty much all she wants to do is get marry and have children, and can you really clame her? They teach girls that their priorites in life is to get a good husband and gave them sons, not even girls.

I adore Ned and Arya's relationship. He accepts her the way she is, and I love that :)

About your point 9, I forget about it. He is mention a lot, which is interesting.

Haha when Sansa said she loves to ride I laughed. She is desperate.

I love Arya too, not a lot of people would have do what she did. She really doesn't care who he is, only that he wanted to hurt her friend.

When Joffrey tells her not to touch him, I didn't understand how she could not see how he really is. But then again, she is a girl, and she wants him to love her really badly.

message 4: by Juana (new)

Juana Daroda | 6 comments I agree with Clara, I believe that Sansa is not only overcriticized but she is, at least now, playing the fool's character. For me Sansa represents the youths as they were in that time.

About 1), I can be wrong but I think that it's the first moment that we can see that in someway she rebels from that arcanum society.

P.D.: I have a doubt and I would really like to share it with you! Do you think that Sansa and Arya can be analyzed together as if they were the same character?

message 5: by Juana (new)

Juana Daroda | 6 comments I agree with Clara, I believe that Sansa is not only overcriticized but she is, at least now, playing the fool's character. For me Sansa represents the youths as they were in that time.

About 1), I can be wrong but I think that it's the first moment that we can see that in someway she rebels from that arcanum society.

P.D.: I have a doubt and I would really like to share it with you! Do you think that Sansa and Arya can be analyzed together as if they were the same character?

message 6: by Clara (new)

Clara Mmm I don't know! I mean, they are so opposite, but even in later books we see how much Sansa changes and stops being a girl, but I still don't think she would be able to go through all the things Arya lives in the series. I am curios, why do you think they could be the same character? I don't think they have enough in common to be the same person, or that one represents the parts the other in lacking.

message 7: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Kalb | 310 comments Yeah Sansa is not one of my favorite characters, but she certainly isn't one of my least favorites either. I like and appreciate her personality, right now anyway. How innocent and naive she is. And she is the foil character to Arya... everything a little lady should be. She is definitely groomed well to become a future queen. And I do agree that with Lady she is, in a way, rebelling against that arcanum world. *SPOILER FOR LATER BOOKS IN A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE* (view spoiler)

message 8: by Clara (new)

Clara *SPOILER FOR LATER BOOKS IN A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE*(view spoiler)

message 9: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Kalb | 310 comments *SPOILER FOR LATER BOOKS IN A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE* (view spoiler)

message 10: by Clara (new)

Clara *SPOILER FOR LATER BOOKS IN A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE* (view spoiler)

message 11: by Juana (new)

Juana Daroda | 6 comments They are soooo different and that's what makes me think we can analyze them as one. Like in Dr. Jekyll and Mr. hide, as if one where the alter ego of the other. I don't know if I can make my point!!

message 12: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Kalb | 310 comments *SPOILER FOR LATER BOOKS IN A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE* (view spoiler) ;)