A Song of Ice and Fire - A Chapter a day discussion

A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1)
This topic is about A Game of Thrones
A Game of Thrones > 08/11/15 - Chapter 13: Tyrion II

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dani, Stormborn, the Unburnt, Khaleesi and queen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dani (cheapregrets) | 57 comments Mod

Clara . I really like the description of the places north Winterfell, and how different they are. The wolfswood sounds so eerie, but at the same time so alluring.

. I really like Yoren, I want to read more chapters with him. We know how the Watch is now, full of rapeers and thieves how chose the Wall over losing some part of their bodies. So, Jon realises, or start to realise what kind of life he chose, and with what type of people he will live from now on.

. You can really tell how the Lannisters are not loved by the Starks, even Tyrion who is the outcast of his family.

. I love Tyrion's humor, and how pride he is, even though is confusing at times. I mean, he mocks himself before somebody else does it, and I think that's how he shows his pride. And in this chapter, when his legs were cramping but he didn't say a word about it.

. I really like how much he reads and his fascination with dragons. And the skulls sound so cool. And I forgot about the Field of Fire.

. "He had the Stark face if not the name: long, solemn,
guarded, a face that gave nothing away. Whoever his mother had been, she had left little of herself in her son." Interesting.

. It's funny how Jon humiliates Tyrion, knowing how much humiliation he has suffer before. And how they sit and talked like nothing happened.

. I think there is a lot of character development in this chapter, and I really like it. I believe that as you read the books, you get to know the characters really well (most of them at least) and expect them to behave a certain way, and that's really important in my opinion.

Vicki Kalb | 310 comments That's true, I also love the description of the North. Last chapter we learned a little more about the barrowlands, and here we learn about the wolfswood and mountains on the way further north to the Wall. (If you like maps, The World of Ice and Fire has some really nice ones...in color!)

1. It takes at least a fortnight to make it to the Wall from Winterfell. I believe that's two weeks. I wouldn't think the road here would be well trafficked, though I guess the farther north you go does get less busy. I guess I just read that wrong.

2. I wonder if they call it the wolfswood for a reason...other than the fact that wolves inhabit it. Ghost prickles his ears at the howling but never howls back in reply. Weird...

3. This is Jon's first taste of how things are at the Wall. He seems disappointed that all the recruits are thieves and rapers.

4. Strange that even Benjen dislikes Lannisters. He seems so easy going.

5. "The Lannisters took what was offered." I like that.

6. Eighteen nights... Interesting Tyrion happens to be reading about dragons now. Ned had apparently given him permission to borrow some rare books, rather kind of him. I wonder if dragonbone can be used to kill the Others? It is said Tyrion has a "morbid fascination with dragons." Black as onyx. Teeth like black diamond. Beautiful.

7. There's that number again, 19. It also happens to be my favorite number. :) Nineteen dragon skulls. Nineteen castles along the Wall. Nineteen united wildling clans...

8. I wonder why the dragons died out. I don't think it ever gets explained.

9. The three great dragons: Balerion, Meraxes, Vhagar, all named after gods. Gods from what religion, though? The only time these dragons were released all at once was on the Field of Fire -- when they fought Casterly Rock and the Reach. King Loren of the Rock had five times as many men, but was defeated by three great dragons. Bad ass, if you ask me! He swore fealty since.

10. I like how Jon regards Tyrion "curiously." Jon doesn't strike me as a "curious" person; he comes across as a boy who sees and knows all... *SPOILER FOR A SWORD OF STORMS* (view spoiler)

11. Some things Tyrion says that I like: "You are remarkably polite for a bastard, Snow." :) "A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." :)

12. I like this description of Jon: "He had the Stark face if not the name: long, solemn, guarded, a face that gave nothing away. Whoever his mother had been, she had left little of herself in her son." *SPECULATION OF JON'S MOTHER* (view spoiler)

13. Why would Jon think Tyrion was making fun of him when he said he wanted a dragon at his age? Did Jon secretly want the same thing?

14. I forgot about this conversation = How Tyrion dreamt of burning his father and sister, asking hasn't Jon ever had these dreams and Jon horrifyingly says, "No. I wouldn't..." "No? Never?" How Tyrion rubs salt in Jon's wounds about Catelyn, and Robb getting Winterfell while he gets the Wall. Then insulting the Night's Watch, upsetting Jon so much he balls his hands into fists and comes close to tears. I'm beginning to wonder why Tyrion is doing this, being so cruel. Does jabbing at people come so easily to Tyrion that he forgets he's talking to a sensitive 14-year-old boy? But then Tyrion suddenly, absurdly, feels guilty, which makes me like Tyrion all over again, how he even wants to console him... but by then Ghost knocks him over. "He did not growl. The damned thing never made a sound."

15. Tyrion gets what he deserves, though. It's his turn to be humiliated. He hurt Jon for no reason. He should apologize. It's a stupid question to ask, though = "Why did he attack me?" Even dogs defend their masters when they're angry at someone.

16. I wonder what a grumpkin is, and a snark. I don't think GRRM ever explains it anywhere. Tyrion says he supposes he looks like a grumpkin, which I think sounds rather cute.

17. Love how Jon handles the truth: "If that's what it is, that's what it is." And how Tyrion praises his honesty. "Most men would rather deny a hard truth than face it."

18. Interesting how Tyrion saw Jon staring into the flames when earlier he'd told the boy that's what he used to do himself, thinking about his burning his family. I don't think Jon's thinking that, though.

Clara About your point 8 and 9, I don't think it is ever mention how they died. I hope we learn about it in the next books, I am very interesting. And I also didn't notice I don't know who gods those are. It would be interesting to know that too.

Vicki Kalb | 310 comments Especially since I thought I read somewhere that the Valyrian dragonlords didn't believe in gods anymore, they were that powerful and ignorant.