What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Man is captured by matriarchal alien race at war with humanity [s]

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Matthew (last edited Aug 11, 2015 07:16AM) (new)

Matthew Alright. So. Thanks in advance to anyone who helps with this, I have a bit to go on, but nothing resembling a publish date or actual name.

Some years ago I read a novel about a single man captured by an alien race which was extremely matriarchal. I can't remember if they were exclusively female or if their males were second class citizens. I remember that he, at some point, got into a duel with one of these aliens and proved his strength and was then allowed... either to join their army, or just to live with them.

Things I can remember other than this synopsis: It was a science fiction book. There were spaceships and whatnot, but most of the book was on the ground on the Alien planet. I THINK humans were losing the war?

At one point, the human is either released or escapes and helps defend a human village from his captors.

It was a paperback that I bought in a bookstore in dubai, but it was western fiction. It was over five years ago as well, but I can't remember exactly how long.

That's all I can remember. Does anyone have the vaguest idea of the book I'm talking about?

message 2: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2078 comments Possibly "Ring of Swords" by Eleanor Arnason? Ring of Swords

message 3: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Andy wrote: "Possibly "Ring of Swords" by Eleanor Arnason? Ring of Swords"

Thank you very much, but that's not the one. I definitely remember that the character who was kidnapped was male.

message 4: by Kris (last edited Aug 11, 2015 10:06AM) (new)

Kris | 34379 comments Mod
Matthew, where was the man when he was captured (e.g., flying in a spaceship, crashed on the planet)?
Was he with a crew and, if so, what happened to them?

Some guesses:
Amazon Planet by Mack Reynolds?
Houston, Houston, Do You Read? by James Tiptree Jr.?

message 5: by Matthew (last edited Aug 11, 2015 12:02PM) (new)

Matthew I cannot remember where the man was captured from. He was alone and I don't think any actual human POV characters other than him were introduced for a while. At least I can't remember any.

I... think he MIGHT have been on a planet defending a town? Maybe? I can't help much there.

message 7: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Gbolahan wrote: "Empire (In Her Name: Redemption #1)"

I think that might be it! Thank's a lot!

message 8: by Gbolahan (new)

Gbolahan (halosbane-kitchenstaffpikin) | 146 comments Matthew wrote: "Gbolahan wrote: "Empire (In Her Name: Redemption #1)"

I think that might be it! Thank's a lot!"

You're wecome...!