Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > But it is a book!

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cyn (new)

Cyn Newman (technomom) | 159 comments I'm trying to understand why someone would NAB this book, Klutz Face Painting (but not the other edition of the same title).

It IS, in fact, a book - that comes with face paints. Most of the Klutz books come with something - a hacky sack, jewelry making materials, etc. - but they really are books. My kids have had quite a few of them.

message 2: by vicki_girl (new)

vicki_girl | 2765 comments If you don't actually own it, it's sometimes hard to tell if it's a book or a craft kit that's bound together in a book-type format for convenience. I try to err on the side of keeping it a book, but others are more agressive.

I think the general rule is that it should contain a non-negligble amount of text and/or information. Really, it's very subjective. If you own it and think it's a book, you could change it back.

I'm sure on of the supers will swoop in here soon and give a more authoritative answer.

:)

message 3: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments I have to admit that, glancing at that book description, I might think it was a craft kit myself -- but now that you draw my attention to it, I recall seeing these books myself. They're usually sold in toy stores, but you're quite right that they are books.

In addition to unNABbing this book, you might want to put an author bio and an author librarian note on the "Klutz" author explaining that things attributed to this author are often books. You also might want to send a message to the librarian who NABbed the book in the first place -- it looks like s/he's been on a NAB spree for a while. :)

message 4: by Eva Marie (new)

Eva Marie (evamarie3578) | 755 comments I agree with Cait, I would have thought the same thing unless I was looking at it. It was a mistake- no one did it on purpose I'm sure. There would be no purpose to that.

message 5: by Eva Marie (new)

Eva Marie (evamarie3578) | 755 comments When you unNAB it there are some descriptions in the change log you might want to pull from too- that way people can tell more about the book. With all that there I can't see anyone thinking it's not a book, in addition to any notes. I'm wondering why someone took that off in the first place.

message 6: by Melody (new)

Melody (runningtune) | 13278 comments I changed them back. Or the one edition that had been changed.

message 7: by Cyn (new)

Cyn Newman (technomom) | 159 comments Thanks, y'all. I feel all vindicated now.