What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Just to chat > Library Books

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by mj (last edited Aug 13, 2015 04:06PM) (new)

mj (valmj) So, I currently have four books from the library. One of them is online and the others are physical copies. There're two more on their way to my library. I'm not sure where to start. Two of them (Wednesdays in the Tower and The Bravest Princess) are middle-grade fantasies that are sequels to books I've already read. The other two (Green Rider and The Outcasts) are YA fantasies and are each the first in series' that I've never read. So, I have to decide what to read first, I guess. They're all due on the same day.

Kate (Feathered Turtle Press Reviews) (stargazer401) | 254 comments Some ideas, depends on your reading style, I guess:

Shortest to longest, so there's a better chance of finishing more books in a shorter period of time.

Longest to shortest, the short ones will seem shorter than expected after the longer ones and be easier/quicker to read.

Read a book from a new series first followed by one from one from the series you already like. Kind of like a reward in case it turns out one of the new ones aren't up your alley.

Read the first ten pages of each one and pick whichever grips your interest more first.

message 3: by mj (new)

mj (valmj) Kate wrote: "Some ideas, depends on your reading style, I guess:

Shortest to longest, so there's a better chance of finishing more books in a shorter period of time.

Longest to shortest, the short ones will s..."

Those are all great ideas! Thank you! I'm thinking I'll go with reading one of the new ones first and then one of the sequels and then repeat. I'm also thinking that if I'm trying that but one or more just doesn't grab me I'll read a different one first and then come back to the other one later on. So, I guess I'll sort of be putting two of your suggestions together! Thanks again!

message 5: by Lou (new)

Lou Rocama | 435 comments I'd read whichever will be hardest to get again first (more likely to have holds, more likely to get lost [this issue should not affect ebooks], publication date, etc).

I would guess (and this is ONLY a guess) that this would be Green Rider, it being the oldest, but also the first in an ongoing series.

This is based on the library I use, though. The demand for those books and the purchasing policies of your library are likely somewhat different.

Also consider that starting a new series will give you more books to read if you like it. If you are not caught up with current series, your problem will persist.

message 6: by mj (new)

mj (valmj) Lou wrote: "I'd read whichever will be hardest to get again first (more likely to have holds, more likely to get lost [this issue should not affect ebooks], publication date, etc).

I would guess (and this is..."

That makes sense! I actually just started Green Rider yesterday and I'm really enjoying it so far! After that I'm going to read one of the middle-grade books. I actually have less time with the ebook (The Outcasts) as it turns out and I'm thinking that I won't even bother to renew it because I really only checked it out because the other books hadn't arrived yet and I was bored. Two more books are at my library now and I just have to go get them so I'll have a lot to read anyway. There were only two reasons that i even found it interesting it the first place. I already read another series by the author and I like it a lot and I'm writing a book that spend a lot of the story at sea so I thought it might help to read some books with a similar setting.

I'm getting off topic. None of that had anything to do with reading order... Sorry.

Anyway, I actually have the physical books until around the end of the month and I'm a pretty fast reader so I'm thinking I probably won't even need to renew any of them. I do think that Green Rider would be the most likely to have hold on it so I guess it's a good thing I already started it! There are less copies of that one available through my library than the others as well and it's the longest so yeah... Again, good thing I already started it! Thank you!