Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Bulletin Board > Amazon Author Bio Page

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael (new)

Michael Lewis (mll1013) | 128 comments I have a very common name, and so in order to distinguish myself from a best-selling author of the same name, I am using my middle initial to distinguish myself. The problem, however, is that Amazon does not show my middle initial on my work, and I have no page to distinguish my work from any other of my name.

How do I go about creating an author page on Amazon.com and how do I ensure that my works get linked to me as an author?

message 2: by Sarina (new)

Sarina Rose (goodreadscomsarinarose) | 22 comments Well, on Amazon you look under you book to find your author page and type in what you want. However, I do not think that will help your situation. You should always check for names in google.
The Relentless Brit
Vintage Romance
Conflict sets the pace
Romance rules the Day
Sarina Rose
Smashwords.com - Promotional price: $0.99
Coupon Code: XA44V
Expires: August 15, 2015

message 3: by Tom (new)

Tom (tom_shutt) | 87 comments Have you gone on Author Central and claimed the book as yours? It's a relatively straightforward process that was explained to me and completed in five minutes, so I'd recommend going there and making a profile and claiming the book. Then your name (and only yours) will be associated with the book, even if you have a common name.

This link may provide some additional help: https://authorcentral.amazon.com/gp/h...

message 4: by Michael (new)

Michael Lewis (mll1013) | 128 comments Tom wrote: "Have you gone on Author Central and claimed the book as yours? It's a relatively straightforward process that was explained to me and completed in five minutes, so I'd recommend going there and mak..."

Thanks, Tom... that's exactly what I was looking for. I'm a little disappointed that Amazon.com did NOT include my middle initial even though there is a field for that on CreateSpace, and I just confirmed that it IS there. I don't know how Amazon includes middle initials (unless authors just include it on their first name field.)

But, at least I have an author page, so hopefully, no Michael Lewis fans will get frustrated trying to read my self-published sci-fi novel instead of his highly-polished non-fiction works.

message 5: by Tom (new)

Tom (tom_shutt) | 87 comments Michael wrote: "Thanks, Tom... that's exactly what I was looking for."

Glad I could help, and be sure to claim the paperback version as well! When I went to look just now, it still linked back to the larger list of Michael L. Lewises rather than directly back to your profile.

Once that's done, you should be golden. =)

message 6: by Michael (new)

Michael Lewis (mll1013) | 128 comments Tom, you just solved part of the mystery for me. Apparently, Amazon did honor the middle initial for me from my createspace profile, but alas... the Kindle version did not have my initial. Thus, I'm "Michael Lewis" on the Kindle version, and "Michael L. Lewis" on the paperback. Both books are linked, so they are both on my author profile, but because the names are spelled differently, only one links from Amazon to my author page.

I have sent Amazon's Author Profile team an email to see how I can correct this.

(Why didn't I just pick a unique psedonym)??? *sigh*

message 7: by Michael (new)

Michael Lewis (mll1013) | 128 comments Just to follow up... I sent an email to the Author Central team, and they were quickly able to fix the middle initial problem and link both formats to my author page. They also sent me a link to work with the KDP team to fix the issue on subsequent titles as well.

message 8: by Tom (new)

Tom (tom_shutt) | 87 comments Awesome, Michael! That's great news.