2015 Reading Challenge [Closed] discussion

The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1)
This topic is about The Lightning Thief
. Week 41: Magic > The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Ana A (anabana_a) | 414 comments I have two good friends who recommended this series to me, so I was willing to give it a shot even though I had a tiny feeling that I'd find this book too kiddy.

I was right, it was too kiddy for me now that I'm at this stage in my life. But it's not only that, I'm also really really loyal to Harry Potter, so when I saw a lot of similar elements--the boy and girl sidekicks, the prophecy, magic items from their dads, a family member whom they hate--I felt a little bit betrayed.

Well, I did sort of enjoy reading it, but only enough for three stars. And, no, I won't be reading the rest of the series any time soon.

Biana In my house, we are Percy over Harry. While I think it's possible to be loyal to several different authors and fandoms...we still pick Percy. Our reasons are threefold:
1> Rick Riordan doesn't create a fictional universe. He uses information that is ingrained in our pre-existing world. If you pay attention, you will see signs of Greek influence all the day long. I loved that he was able to weave the facts into a fictional world that makes sense. I think it takes tremendous skill.
2> The series maintains an even level of darkness and depth. Yes there's a difference between the first and the last books in the series, but it's nothing compared to Sorcerer's Stone and Deathly Hallows. Equally true is the big bad that they fight. I do understand that JK was building us up for the Mega Boss Fight of all Boss Fights. And I don't belittle that. But...I liked the evenness of the Olympians series.
3> We all want to wake up and suddenly be appreciated. It's so true. I want to receive my letter from Hogwarts (I'm far from 13) and discover that I just need to get my wand and learn the spells. Riordan takes "disabilities" and turns them into strengths. And that's awesome.

I know this is more than you asked for and I'm sorry for hijacking your post. It's true that I have a passion and I use it often. Just an interesting side note...this is a great conversation started for young adults. You see that awkward kid in the corner at the church gathering/neighborhood bbq/family reunion? Ask her/him if s/he likes Percy or Harry best and watch her/him light up!

message 3: by Silvia (last edited Sep 02, 2015 09:45AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Silvia Turcios | 304 comments Well, I am definitely in team Potter. however I enjoyed a lot Percy Jackson, the references to the Greek Gods are really funny. I enjoyed them so much that after I finished with the Percy Jackson series. I read Heroes of Olympus series and I enjoyed it even more. I would say that these books are getting better :-)

message 4: by Anastasia (new) - added it

Anastasia (anastasiaharris) | 319 comments We like both series here.

Most books that involve magical quests have a band of people who work together to defeat the evil about to take over the world. Each person in the band has some gift that aids them in their journey. There is usually one person who betrays the band, but is accepted back by the main character. And last but not least, the group must travel to each land that is pictured on the map on the inside cover.

Ana A (anabana_a) | 414 comments Biana wrote: "In my house, we are Percy over Harry. While I think it's possible to be loyal to several different authors and fandoms...we still pick Percy. Our reasons are threefold:
1> Rick Riordan doesn't crea..."

It's okay, you didn't hijack my post. :) You're right about a conversation starter. I'm a teacher and when my students find out I love Harry Potter, they think I'm so cool already. Haha.

I guess it's really the timing of when I read the books. If I read Percy when I was younger, it probably would have spoken to me more. But your passionate defense of the book makes me want to consider reading the next book, but maybe in 2017 or beyond. (I'm making my 2016 list already.)

Biana Ana wrote: "But your passionate defense of the book makes me want to consider reading the next book, but maybe in 2017 or beyond. (I'm making my 2016 list already.)"

Yeah, me too! This challenge has been AMAZING at expanding my reading horizons! And...talking about them. Maybe that's the real goal...being able to talk about what you have read or watched with intelligence. Good goal for kids and teachers too.

YAY for Teachers who are cool!