Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Harry Potter, #5) Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix discussion

Umbridge

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Stenedria Umbridge is definitely memorable as being the worst Hogwarts teacher ever. Along with her behavior, personality, and method of punishment in detention, she also has signature catch-phrases that quickly annoyed me. Some of them include:
"There's no need to talk", "There will be no need to talk", "And your name is?", Your hand is not up, (insert name here)", "Hem, hem", Hand, (insert name here)!", "Wands away please...", "You received the note I sent to you this morning/afternoon telling you that I would be inspecting your lesson?"
I'm only about a little more than half-way through the book right now, and she has a tendency to use these often. Are there others that I missed? Share them here.

Ruby Many of the things she says annoys me, such as "Cedric Diggory's death was a tragic accident" for the reason that she stares the truth in the face and calmly and smugly that you're wrong. The other quotes you bring up are similar in the way that most of them involve enforcing rules that make little sense or are only for her personal benefit. I dislike Umbridge because almost all the things she does involve restricting creativity, enforcing rules that are not necessary, and trying to control people's thoughts. Rules should exist because they are necessary, and if they're not necessary, then they shouldn't be there! That's why "There will be no need to talk" and "Wands away" annoys me.

Stenedria Ruby wrote: "Many of the things she says annoys me, such as "Cedric Diggory's death was a tragic accident" for the reason that she stares the truth in the face and calmly and smugly that you're wrong. The other..."

very insightful. I agree.

message 4: by Prex (new) - added it

Prex Ybasco Umbridge reminds me of traditional teachers in school who only value what scores their students have at the end of the year.

Benjamin DeHaan "Hem Hem."

Enough Said.

Twinkieduh Another comment is: "Well, Educational Degree Number 23 says that the High Inquisitor has the authority to sack any teachers".....UG!

Ariana Burr In an article that heard about, it said that the reason that we hate Umbridge so much, is because she could be a real person (without her being a witch). Also, WHY WOULD SHE BAN HARRY FROM QUITTEGE FOR LIFE!?!!??!

Katy Ariana wrote: "In an article that heard about, it said that the reason that we hate Umbridge so much, is because she could be a real person (without her being a witch). Also, WHY WOULD SHE BAN HARRY FROM QUITTEGE..."
I think there's some truth to that article. Although I don't know anyone as bad as Umbridge, she often did things that brought to mind other people I've known. If some people are given authority, they seem to have a need to feel powerful by using their authority to quash others for no other reason than that it seems to make them feel good. I think when I was reading the Harry Potter books I felt anger towards Umbridge because she brought back feelings I've had in the past towards people I've known who are similar to her.