Dystopian Society discussion

Announcements > Would you test-drive my Kickstarter before I launch it?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Daniel (last edited Aug 11, 2015 07:44AM) (new)

Daniel Haight | 26 comments Forgive me if posting a preview link is bad karma - I know that you guys are well-versed in what Kickstarter projects get funded and I would really appreciate your insight on my crowdfunding effort for my sci-fi book series.
The Flotilla Kickstarter is designed to help me connect my book series with the larger reading/sci-fi community by funding some concept art and PR efforts when I release my book in November. Would you mind telling me whether this project, in its current form is supportable? Shareable?
I've done crowdfunding efforts in the past - I'm not always the best judge of what people will support so I would appreciate your feedback and thoughts about my work thus far - here is the preview link:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...
Thoughts?
Thank you!
Best wishes,
~ScH

Edit: Wrong link, sorry about that guys I was having some technical difficulties. Try this link https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...

message 2: by Nadine (new)

Nadine Brandes (nadinebrandes) | 36 comments The link is only taking me straight to the normal Kickstarter home page, nothing specific. Is there a different link?

message 3: by Jane (new)

Jane (janeinri) | 420 comments Mod
Daniel, I tried it (via email you sent me). It looks good - but I found it a bit confusing. Maybe you could make each level have a name - maybe a fish type. Then have the Early Bird version. Like - Minnow Level, Minnow Level Early Bird, and so on.

message 4: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 5 comments Daniel, I had to search within kickstarter for your project, as the link did not work for me.

I speak in regards to the kickstarter that was cancelled on 8/9/15.

Personally, it is a huge turn off for me to see books compared to other books/ movies. Instead of "Mad Max meets Master and Commander," I would focus on describing the elements that make it similar to both movies. For example, is it boat duels and survival on the high seas or a campy B movie with Russel Crowe?

I also don't like books that compare themselves to other media when I am participating in a kickstarter program, because I want to fund something original, not a knock off of someone else's idea. You are not doing your book any favors by leading with that, because I think your series does sound original and exciting. Focus on what makes your series unique.

Agree with Jane. Rename your backer levels to something aquatic - fish or perhaps boat types.

"The Kickstarter will not include marketing and promotional materials production or other unnecessary overhead costs - we believe in this project and we're donating our time and effort - I only need help with what I can't afford to do on my own."

Okay. That's a valid point. However, it seems like the point of this kickstarter is to fund the marketing and promotion of this book. That makes me wonder what, exactly, is the point.

It sounds like you want to build a dog house, you want to take up contributions to buy the materials for the dog house and build it yourself, without hiring a carpenter. That's valid, but, it makes me wonder if I'm paying for a 10 year old to experiment with carpentry or if I'm helping a professional build a show piece.

Instead, I would emphasize that for every dollar the kickstarter generates, you are putting in X amount more in your labor.

"By contributing to this project you're bringing together an audience of global citizens and you are giving them a platform to change the world."

Okay, how? It sounds like the goal of this book is to raise awareness for climate change. I don't understand where or what the platform for global change is.

Overall, it looks like you have a good book. I may even read it. Good luck with your future endeavors.

message 5: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Haight | 26 comments Sorry about that guys I was having some technical difficulties. Try this link https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...

message 6: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 5 comments Okay. I'm not 100% clear on why you're soliciting money. On the kickstarter page you mention wanting to make your series transmedia. However, when I follow the second "read more" link under "What will Flotilla turn into," I see almost nothing listed that supports this goal (2,500 for a graphic artist). Looking only at your graph, it gives the financial impression that you are having a kickstarter simply the sake of having a kickstarter. It looks like that buy cutting out kickstarter fees and backer rewards, you could come pretty close to being able to foot the bill yourself.

You mention the democratization of art at some point. Your book has been written. Now, you need to make it very clear what the contributors are getting. What tangible item will be the result of this kickstarter? Graphic art? A demo game?

Honestly, I wonder if kickstarter is even the right venue for you. I think you might benefit more a P2P business loan.

I really think Jeff Cutler gave you some solid advice, also. Good luck.

message 7: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Haight | 26 comments Good points - I think you're asking "Why kickstart a novel?" I address that here but let me give you the TL;DR: I need budget to hire a concept artist and PR professionals. Plus, I can focus the readers/well-wishers and offer them rewards on a cost-effective level that wouldn't make sense if I were to offer them piecemeal. That's really what it boils down to.

I'm not sure I agree with the idea of doing a P2P business loan since you could essentially say the same thing about 98% of the funded Kickstarters out there.

message 8: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Haight | 26 comments Hi there!
I appreciate your feedback on my kickstarter from a few days ago. I've made some updates and improvements. Before I go live, would you mind giving it a pre-launch check?
Link is right here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...
Thanks so much!
Best wishes, ~ScH

message 9: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 5 comments Hey, Daniel.

The video is much improved. I actually sat through the whole thing this time. I liked that you were a lot more alert and engaged.

Your average web surfer spends an average of 8 seconds on a web page before navigating elsewhere. Your goal is to keep viewers interested and on your kickstarter page. I still recommend making your goal (which, I assume to be "Fund concept art for Flotilla") blatantly obvious. I would also suggest linking to the portfolios of artists you are considering and detailing exactly what the end result will be (a portfolio of 8 pictures? One really detailed picture? will certain scenes and characters be illustrated?) and how you plan to use it (cover art? a portfolio to pitch to game developers?)

Also, as I am sure you are aware, many of the links under "need more info" need fleshing out.

Good luck!