Shounen Manga Book Club discussion

Seraph of the End, Vol. 1 (Seraph of the End: Vampire End, #1)
This topic is about Seraph of the End, Vol. 1
Group Reads > Seraph of the End

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Mike | 239 comments Mod
"After a catastrophic epidemic kills every adult on earth, vampires arise from the shadows to enslave the remaining human population. Yuichiro escapes from captivity and joins the Japanese Imperial Demon Army. But before he's allowed to fight vampires, he has to complete his first, terrifying mission-- make new friends with his fellow aspiring monster slayers!

Yuichiro and his friends are kept as vampire fodder in a creepy institution masquerading as an orphanage. One day, Yuichiro's dreams of fighting back are realized when the orphans stage a daring escape. But things go horribly wrong, and his dream is kept alive at a cruel price."

Seraph of the End is one of our Fall 2015 group reads. Discuss here! :)

Selena (sailorstar165) | 389 comments Mod
My review can be found here.

I really enjoyed this one so far (after one volume). First volume can be summed up as "idiot goes up against something stupidly powerful and somehow survives."

message 3: by Nate (last edited Aug 09, 2015 05:37PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nate | 6 comments Okay so Ive read the first 5 volumes of this and I'm torn because a part of me really loves it but a small part of me it seriously annoyed every time I open the book. The best way I can describe it is a deep love for the story and the world it is set in but a strong dislike for every single character they have introduced. However I am finding some of them more manageable....barely.

Selena (sailorstar165) | 389 comments Mod
^ I totally get that. I've had that happen with other series.

I'm looking at this almost as a parody of the genre rather than a real serious entry lol

Mike | 239 comments Mod
Interesting. Just finished volume 1 and while I can't say I love any of the characters none of them are on my nerves much yet.

Good start. I like the setup and it's already developing some strong themes.

message 6: by Ash (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ash | 74 comments Ok, so I have read the first five volumes of this series so far, I will say my opinion in much the same/a bit of a mixture of the way other's who have commented seem to feel. That is to say I find it quite entertaining, yet certainly not very deep. Also, while there are some characters I definitely prefer over others, there are not any characters I have yet to completely despise, nor any I totally love either.
Personally, I know I just need a purely entertaining read, without having to think too much. This series seems to be filling that space for me right now. However, I will say it reminds me quite a bit of other series in different areas/parts if the story, and that can be somewhat annoying.

Nicole (radiantserenechaos) | 336 comments I have such a love hate relationship with Seraph of the End. The first chapter was wonderful. The next dozen or so chapters: definitely not wonderful. The first few volumes were full of traits I love, but they just came together in such clumsy and cliched ways that they were very very hard to get through. It even managed to work in some of my greatest pet peeves. But every subsequent volume has steadily improve to the point where I'm really enjoying the story now. That still doesn't change the very rocky and aggravating beginning though.

It was the same with all of the characters. I hated all of them at first since they were all different variations of unlikable and mean (except Yoichi) with variations of the same tragic backstory. Eventually I warmed up to them enough and/or the authors got better at writing them enough that I don't really hate any of them anymore and even have a few favorites (Shinoa and Mitsuba. If only Mitsuba got more screen time...)

The only thing I really loved since the beginning (and what made me stick around long enough for the story and characters to improve) was the art. And Shinoa's scythe. I'm suck a sucker for scythes as weapons. I blame Soul Eater.

Elisabeth (elisemate) | 1 comments Mike wrote: ""After a catastrophic epidemic kills every adult on earth, vampires arise from the shadows to enslave the remaining human population. Yuichiro escapes from captivity and joins the Japanese Imperial..."

I totally loved this manga. Once i started i couldn't stop reading and even after I was done I went ahead and watched the anime series. i super enjoyed this manga

message 9: by Cindy III (last edited Jun 01, 2016 01:32AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cindy III | 15 comments Read the first two volumes. I like it. I love Guren. I also care about the characters.

Silvia Turcios | 8 comments I have just read the first volume and so far I am enjoying it :-)