What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > seeking novels with creepy/mysterious outer space

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kate (Feathered Turtle Press Reviews) (stargazer401) | 257 comments I'm interested in fiction novels for any age group that somehow capture how eerie and unknown space is.

Anything, from stuff like The Andromeda Strain (this thing fell back to earth and brought something back with it) to even just a single scene where the characters are out in or near space and reflecting on how empty/mysterious it is.

The book itself doesn't have to be a thriller or of a similar genre.

message 2: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 147 comments Interstellar Pig-an older YA book about a teen boy on summer vacation who meets his mysterious neighbours.

message 3: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Love | 1159 comments The classic 1950's story "Scanners Live in Vain" by Cordwainer Smith focuses on this idea brilliantly. It's available on line here:

http://archive.org/stream/ScannersLiv...

message 4: by N (new)

N (kaxxie) | 104 comments Speaking of things falling to earth, I found Louise Lawrence's The Power of Stars incredibly creepy back in the day.

message 5: by Anamta (new)

Anamta (anamtaazm) | 5 comments There's a series by Kenneth Oppel that has 3 books and the last book is called Starclimber. the whole series mostly takes place in the air, and they mention space from time to time in the first 2 books.

message 6: by Mary Carolyn (new)

Mary Carolyn  (ivorybow) | 47 comments Pamela, thank you so much for "Scanners Live In Vain!" It is an old favorite of mine and I have been looking for it for a long time. I read it when I was just a kid and never forgot. I just reread it, and it is wonderful.

message 7: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39847 comments Mod
Possibly Ice Limit. I've read it but have forgotten the big reveal.

message 8: by Ket (last edited Aug 10, 2015 06:55PM) (new)

Ket | 164 comments Ray Bradbury's The Martian Chronicles made me feel like that. And the characters are always reflecting on the isolation of space.

There's this gorgeous edition out by Barnes & Noble. Really a worthwhile collectible, because it also has The Illustrated Man.

The Martian Chronicles/The Illustrated Man/The Golden Apples of the Sun by Ray Bradbury

message 9: by Mark (new)

Mark Catalfano (cattfish) If one of those collections has Ray's story Kalidescope, that is pretty much the essence of the hopeless feeling in space right there

message 10: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (notemily) | 478 comments I remember enjoying The Season of Passage when I was younger. It's about a trip to Mars.

message 11: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Love | 1159 comments Carolyn wrote: "Pamela, thank you so much for "Scanners Live In Vain!" It is an old favorite of mine and I have been looking for it for a long time. I read it when I was just a kid and never forgot. I just reread ..."

You're welcome. I recommend that you read other stories by Cordwainer Smith, too.

Kate (Feathered Turtle Press Reviews) (stargazer401) | 257 comments Thanks guys, these all sound really interesting!