THE Group for Authors! discussion

General Discussion > Posting an excerpt of my first book

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Gonzalez (CynthiaAnneGonzalez) | 3 comments Hi Folks! My first time posting a question. I would like to share an excerpt from my first book and a review of the excerpt from General Jim Mattis - no, the book is not focused on the military...that comes later - this one is a introspective book, 30 Back Pocket Lessons. It's release date is set for the end of the month. How do I go about offering the excerpt? Thank you, Cindy

message 2: by Angel (new)

Angel | 25 comments If you have a Facebook page you can put an excerpt of it on there and give people the link. That's what I did. Or if you have a website, the same thing applies.

message 3: by Jaclyn (new)

Jaclyn Woods (jaclyn_w) | 417 comments Hi Cindy, and welcome to the forum!

Angel's suggestion is a good one, and then you could provide the link, along with the review, in a blog post about your book on Goodreads.

You can also add an excerpt of your ebook on Goodreads, here's how:

1) Navigate to your Author Dashboard.

2) Underneath the book in question, click "add preview".

3) Use the "Choose File" button to upload your ebook excerpt in PDF format. Your file should ONLY contain the excerpt of the book. If you add a PDF that contains your entire book, the entire book will be available on the site.

4) Choose which permissions you'd like to allow using the radio buttons (either "Members can only read this preview in their browsers" or "Members can read this preview in their browsers and download it").

5) Click "Upload File."

This will make the excerpt available on your book page.

You may also want to check out our new Preview functionality, which is different from this option. If you've added a Kindle preview to your book on Amazon, then we will automatically show that Preview file on Goodreads.

Just shout if you have any questions about any of that (or anything else)!

message 4: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Gonzalez (CynthiaAnneGonzalez) | 3 comments Thank you Angel. I thought of that, and I do have a website with the excerpt. In order to get it you have to subscribe, I would love for folks from Goodreads to subscribe, but I feel like it's important to get authors and avid readers comments too. Have a great day!

message 5: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Gonzalez (CynthiaAnneGonzalez) | 3 comments Thank you Jaclyn! I love reading the posts; the site is a great help. I'll definitely upload the excerpt as you suggested. I do have the review posted on my author page, but I'll add it to the upload and a link to my site. Thanks again, and have a great day!

message 6: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Aug 09, 2015 09:45PM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) You can also link to the excerpt on goodreads in Twitter, Facebook, etc. if you like. I think I'd mention links to all ways someone can read the excerpt in same post/sentence.