Lord of the Flies Lord of the Flies discussion

An idea that I think's pretty cool?

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Emma I've been thinking about it a lot and I've always thought LOTF was one of the most confronting, intense books I've read. I've seen the two movies and thought they were okay (the american version was not even worth finishing) but not scary enough.

I would looooooooooove to see a new LOTF movie made. Keeping true to the book, making it scary and intense and eye-opening to people who haven't read the book.

Does anyone agree that this book would be an awesome movie for people nowadays? I think it would be pretty cool.

Monty J Heying Yes. And, properly done, very illuminating as a warning about fascism, which is a growing threat as the KOCH-topus plutarchy increases its grip on America.

Emma Yeah... Whatever that is, but a movie could open people's eyes to what really would happen in the boys situation. I haven't really seen any other movie like it. Of course there's Castaway but the main character (I forgot his name) is not with anyone else and doesn't turn into a savage (compared to LOFT), and I haven't seen Lost. Yeah :)

message 4: by Monty J (last edited Aug 09, 2015 08:28AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Monty J Heying Emma wrote: "Yeah... Whatever that is, but a movie could open people's eyes to what really would happen in the boys situation. I haven't really seen any other movie like it. Of course there's Castaway but the m..."

The story is more relevant now than at any time in history except World War II.

It doesn't matter whether it's boys or girls, the principle is the same.

A charismatic power-hungry control freak can gain control over people by exploiting ignorance and appealing to fear and survival instinct.

message 5: by Ian (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ian Who would play Ralph? (That's the main charater btw.)

message 6: by Monty J (last edited Aug 09, 2015 01:35PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Monty J Heying Ian wrote: "Who would play Ralph? (That's the main charater btw.)"

Keifer Sutherland would play Merridew, as he was when he played the tough teenager in Stand by Me.

As for Ralph, maybe a young John Cusak or Ron Howard.

Piggy would be Richard Dreyfus, with a little weight and a little younger than the age he was in American Graffiti. (Or Jack White, my friend standing next to me says.)

Brett Marshall Now the person who played Rowley in diary of a wimpy kid could play Piggy

message 8: by Ian (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ian And Asa Butterfield as Simon. When he was young of course.

Emma Monty J wrote: "Ian wrote: "Who would play Ralph? (That's the main charater btw.)"

Keifer Sutherland would play Merridew, as he was when he played the tough teenager in Stand by Me.

As for Ralph, maybe a young J..."

But they're all old :p

Monty J Heying Emma wrote: "Monty J wrote: "Ian wrote: "Who would play Ralph? (That's the main charater btw.)"

As for Ralph,..."

Yeah, so you have to look for young ones that are similar. I don't know any young ones.

Jason Burghardt No, I don't agree.

message 12: by Ian (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ian With what?

Jason Burghardt Ian wrote: "With what?"

That it's pretty cool. "HG" and "Divergent" etc have saturated the film universe with child/young adult action nonsense. As good as the "LOTF" book is, if they released a film now, it just gets lumped in with those other films.

Brett Marshall The kid from the lone Ranger could play Ralph

Brett Marshall But who would play Jack

message 16: by Emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma @Jason there's no way they'd release it now, god no. I didn't mean that, I just meant in general a new movie would be awesome. If it were 10 years into the future that'd be even better so all the child actors are grown and done.

Monty J Heying Jason wrote: "Ian wrote: "With what?"

That it's pretty cool. "HG" and "Divergent" etc have saturated the film universe with child/young adult action nonsense. As good as the "LOTF" book is, if they released a f..."

Timing is everything. Go ahead and write the script. Shoot it even, but wait 'til the right time to release it. Like right after some atomic bomb scare.

message 18: by Jason (last edited Aug 11, 2015 10:23AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jason Burghardt Emma wrote: "@Jason there's no way they'd release it now, god no. I didn't mean that, I just meant in general a new movie would be awesome. If it were 10 years into the future that'd be even better so all the c..."

I share your enthusiasm for the book, but what makes you think a film version would be "awesome"? Hollywood botches more adaptations than they get right (like the last time they tried to adapt this). What makes you think "LOTF" would be different this time?

message 19: by Monty J (last edited Aug 11, 2015 10:46AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Monty J Heying Jason wrote: "Emma wrote: "@Jason there's no way they'd release it now, god no. I didn't mean that, I just meant in general a new movie would be awesome. If it were 10 years into the future that'd be even better..."

It should not be done by Hollywood for the reasons you point out.

It should be done documentary style, by an independent filmmaker, documentary style. You could raise money with crowdfunding so that the profit-driven moguls aren't distorting the story to make money.

What makes you think "LOTF" would be different this time?
An effective version loyal to the book has never been done for the reasons indicated. It's time to do it right.

message 20: by Mariana (last edited Oct 14, 2015 02:41PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mariana Lis Jason wrote:
That it's pretty cool. "HG" and "Divergent" etc have saturated the film universe with child/young adult action nonsense. As good as the "LOTF" book is, if they released a film now, it just gets lumped in with those other films.

I didn’t read The Hunger Games, Divergent or The Maze Runner but, having seen the movie adaptations to each of these books, I do understand what you mean. Still, what separates Lord of the Flies from all of those young-adult series is the very portrayal of the dystopian genre, I think—it is, in fact, only the beginning of dystopia, whereas HG, Divergent, MR, the Giver, and so on, can only present us with a very foggy idea of how their current state of affairs really came about. Usually, in the movies, you are shown a very general “Entity of Evil” (or some form of that) and you accept them as such.

Lord of the Flies forces us to witness the early stages of demise and the profound consequences of greed and wickedness. This is not a grand plan that unfolds before us, brought to us by an evil institution that can somehow afford the best technology, the best engineer and the most sophisticated architect. Remember, it is the children themselves who make the worst out of a bad situation—destroying any sign of comradeship and democracy, creating havoc for pleasure!

A new adaptation of Lord of the Flies (and a proper one, not a transformed one to fit consumers’ visual expectations) would hardly be tagged as YA. It is closer to terror rather than drama, closer to some sort of “still suspense” rather than action. And its message is all the more valuable today.

I'd love a new version, though I love the 1963 one too.

message 21: by Skyblaze (new)

Skyblaze anyone who has seen the pointless re-make in the 1990s will know a new version is NOT a god idea

message 22: by Feliks (last edited Oct 31, 2015 08:08PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Feliks ..really, let's say it outright and bluntly for once: the entire American movie industry after the arrival of Spielberg, Lucas, Cameron, Tarantino, and Marvel Comics, is pointless

Monty J Heying Feliks wrote: "..really, let's say it outright and bluntly for once: the entire American movie industry after the arrival of Spielberg, Lucas, Cameron, Tarantino, and Marvel Comics, is pointless"

Channels Salinger.

ImALukewarmPizza Emma wrote: "I've been thinking about it a lot and I've always thought LOTF was one of the most confronting, intense books I've read. I've seen the two movies and thought they were okay (the american version wa..."

I tried a while back, with not exactly what you'd call a 'professional' set, and I couldn't really do the fire scene very well. Weird. (<-- sarcasm)

message 25: by Emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma Sam wrote: "Emma wrote: "I've been thinking about it a lot and I've always thought LOTF was one of the most confronting, intense books I've read. I've seen the two movies and thought they were okay (the americ..."

Wow, that sounds amazing! (Sarcasm).

ImALukewarmPizza Emma wrote: "Sam wrote: "Emma wrote: "I've been thinking about it a lot and I've always thought LOTF was one of the most confronting, intense books I've read. I've seen the two movies and thought they were okay..."

Thanks! (Sarcasm)