The Challenge Factory discussion

♦️Team Challenges Archives♦️ > Mini Challenge #9 ~ Curses

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenne (last edited Aug 08, 2015 08:07AM) (new)

Jenne  (jennetheinstigator) | 7439 comments

Welcome to Mini Challenge #9 ~ Curses
Duration: 8/12/15 - 8/18/15
Lots of fairy tales begin with the main character being cursed. So for this mini challenge:

❖Any book that's set in:
The Caribbean
Louisiana
Egypt
Any country in Africa
Salem, MA or just in the state of Massachusetts
**Clarification** The book just needs to take place for a little bit in one of these locations to qualify

❖Any book where:
A curse takes place
Voodoo is involved
Witchcraft is involved
Hoodoo is involved
Hexing is involved
**Clarification** One of these items would need to happen in the book and or being speculated about having happened.

Each book will score you 20 points.
Books must be at least 150 pages
*Any book FINISHED after this one begins is ok to use.

message 2: by Susan A (new)

Susan A | 1622 comments Oohh...clever challenge.

message 3: by Jenne (new)

Jenne  (jennetheinstigator) | 7439 comments Thanks! We're nearing the end and I was worried my creativity was all used up lol!

message 4: by Susan A (new)

Susan A | 1622 comments My geography is weak. Can I use wikipedia to look up "The Carribean" and use anything that shows up?

message 5: by Jenne (new)

Jenne  (jennetheinstigator) | 7439 comments Yep :)

ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) (ilovebakedgoods) Gah! I'm reading a Caribbean book right now but I'll finish it tonight. Figures, lol!

message 7: by Jenne (new)

Jenne  (jennetheinstigator) | 7439 comments Me too :(
And it has voodoo also.

message 8: by Katherine (new)

Katherine (katkattrinn) | 760 comments Jenne wrote: "Thanks! We're nearing the end and I was worried my creativity was all used up lol!"

Maybe you can do something with villain sidekicks.
Every villain has their "helpers".
For example: Maleficent's crow, Evil Queen's mirror.

message 9: by Jenne (new)

Jenne  (jennetheinstigator) | 7439 comments That's an awesome idea Katherine!

message 10: by Katherine (new)

Katherine (katkattrinn) | 760 comments Jenne wrote: "That's an awesome idea Katherine!"

If you need more ideas. I have plenty. Just say the word. And I try to help :D

message 11: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new)

Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 16189 comments Mod
Katherine, we are going to put your butt to work on challenges---right, Jenne?
She has good ideas

message 12: by Jenne (new)

Jenne  (jennetheinstigator) | 7439 comments She does!

message 13: by Katherine (last edited Aug 08, 2015 11:47AM) (new)

Katherine (katkattrinn) | 760 comments Well I don't know. But I had one awesome idea for challenge.
I told once to another group, but they didn't put to use, so I can give a try. :)

message 14: by Jenne (new)

Jenne  (jennetheinstigator) | 7439 comments Katherine we always welcome ideas and member challenges =)

message 15: by Lanelle, Production Chief (new)

Lanelle | 13236 comments Mod
ALWAYS welcome new ideas :)

message 16: by Ebb (new)

Ebb (ebbsbooks) | 96 comments If a demon type of creature possesses a person, is that still considered a curse?

message 17: by Jenne (new)

Jenne  (jennetheinstigator) | 7439 comments Only if it's being called one in the book.

message 18: by Danie (new)

Danie (heyydanie) Would it count for witchcraft if it was mentioned that magic has been...outlawed? In a sense?

message 19: by Jenne (new)

Jenne  (jennetheinstigator) | 7439 comments More than likely. If it's being mentioned it's been outlawed I'm sure you'll run into an instance of witchcraft in the book.

message 20: by ✿Claire✿ (new)

✿Claire✿ (clairelm) | 228 comments Is magic enough to be witchcraft or does it have to be specifically witches? I'm reading a book which has elves doing magic...

message 21: by Jenne (new)

Jenne  (jennetheinstigator) | 7439 comments Let's keep it to witches, wizards, mages.

message 22: by Jenne (new)

Jenne  (jennetheinstigator) | 7439 comments Scratch my last comment..a magic user is ok.

message 23: by ✿Claire✿ (new)

✿Claire✿ (clairelm) | 228 comments Thanks Jenne :)

message 24: by Holli (new)

Holli | 333 comments Odd question here, would Dracula work for this challenge? "The curse of immortality" is referenced in the book. There is also a mention of the curse passing away when one character is freed from vampirism.

message 25: by Jenne (new)

Jenne  (jennetheinstigator) | 7439 comments I think it would be ok since it's being referred to as a curse.

message 26: by Holli (last edited Aug 15, 2015 01:46PM) (new)

Holli | 333 comments Jenne wrote: "I think it would be ok since it's being referred to as a curse."

Thanks!

These books are proving hard for me to find while I'm waiting for the book I want to read to come in at the library. :)

message 27: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (last edited Aug 15, 2015 03:26PM) (new)

Holli wrote: "Jenne wrote: "I think it would be ok since it's being referred to as a curse."

Thanks!

These books are proving hard for me to find while I'm waiting for the book I want to read to come in at the..."

You have a lot on your shelf like Cursed by Fire (Immortal Brothers, #1) by Jacquelyn Frank for instance. You also have Dark hunters

message 28: by Holli (new)

Holli | 333 comments @Ezinwanyi~the Impish Angel

I've slept since I looked my shelves over, apparently. :)

message 29: by Holli (new)

Holli | 333 comments Forgot to say thanks. So, thank you, Ezi! What's sad is that book is right next to my desk as well. *sigh*

message 30: by Ezinwanyi, Factory Superintendent (new)

Holli wrote: "Forgot to say thanks. So, thank you, Ezi! What's sad is that book is right next to my desk as well. *sigh*"

No problem...just needed an excuse to spy, I mean look at your shelf.
*wink

message 31: by Holli (new)

Holli | 333 comments Ezinwanyi~the Impish Angel wrote: "Holli wrote: "Forgot to say thanks. So, thank you, Ezi! What's sad is that book is right next to my desk as well. *sigh*"

No problem...just needed an excuse to spy, I mean look at your shelf.
*wink"

Sure. I believe you. :-)

message 32: by Susan A (last edited Aug 16, 2015 06:50PM) (new)

Susan A | 1622 comments Jenne --

Can you look here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

I frankly cannot believe I typed that, and I can't bring myself to type again :)

Also, do all FTR count as MCP or was that the last task or MCP? I'm confused.

THanks!

message 33: by Jenne (new)

Jenne  (jennetheinstigator) | 7439 comments Holy crow! Gonna have to say no but the oddness almost makes me want to say yes lmbo!

Ftr fit the previous task. If your team has task 4 closed out then it's just regular old FTR bonus.

message 34: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (colls) | 491 comments At the end of the book, the doctor and the main character are fleeing to Africa. They don't actually get there. There was also a video conference at one point and one of the participants was dialing in from Africa.

Would this count for the mini?

Thanks!

message 35: by Jenne (new)

Jenne  (jennetheinstigator) | 7439 comments Was the video conference something that actually happened or just a mention/reference of one?

message 36: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (colls) | 491 comments Jenne wrote: "Was the video conference something that actually happened or just a mention/reference of one?"

It actually happened.

message 37: by Jenne (new)

Jenne  (jennetheinstigator) | 7439 comments K then run with it :)

message 38: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (colls) | 491 comments Awesome, thank you! :)