What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. 1960s-1970s era encyclopedia with book summaries

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carl (new)

Carl L | 3 comments I am looking for an encyclopedia, circa 1960s-1970s – the copy my family has was around 1970 as far as I remember. Some links describing it are below. I’ve been searching online for months with no luck. I am fairly certain it is not Funk Wagnalls or Student’s Merit. It may well not be any of the “big name” brands. Possibly something purchased in supermarkets or department stores. It was a relatively small set of books – definitely not big and heavy, more geared for children/teens. The copies we had had green spines with cream/white covers. They had the unusual feature of having summaries of classic novels at the back of each volume – this is the key feature that will help distinguish this from others – that and the small size, light weight, and color scheme. So, for example, in the volume that dealt with the letter “W” they may have had in the back a summary of “Wuthering Heights,” under “F” Frankenstein, “M” Moby Dick, etc. Any info would be most greatly appreciated.

http://cyclosearch.blogspot.com/2015/...
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/a...

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39287 comments Mod
So the rest of the encyclopedia was a regular encyclopedia with regular entries?

message 3: by Carl (new)

Carl L | 3 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "So the rest of the encyclopedia was a regular encyclopedia with regular entries?"

Yes. A-Z, but it is possible the letters with more subjects took up more than one volume. Instead of having one volume for each letter, for example, volume 1 may have been "Aardvark to Antfarm" and then volume 2 was "Anthill to Bozo" (as examples, not actually what was there). So, yes, the bulk of each volume was regular entries in alphabetical order, but the main differences to other encyclopedias of that time (besides the cover color scheme) - the summaries in the end and the small size. These were lightweight, with relatively short entries, more for children - not the big, heavy, detailed adult encyclopedias.

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Bump. Waiting for Carl's update.

message 5: by Carl (new)

Carl L | 3 comments update:
Looking for the 1960s-1970s small encyclopedia with book summaries in the appendix-
I have eliminated: Merit Student's, New Book of Knowledge, and Funk Wagnalls - I have obtained the relevant copies and they are not the right ones, so any other information would be appreciated

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Carl, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 7: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 5006 comments Were there any illustrations in the book? If so, how do they look?

message 8: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl wrote: "Carl, are you still looking for this or did you find it?"

No response in 2 years. Moving to Abandoned.